Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Discussion: Design Statement and Road Map

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MWTaylor, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Korag

Korag Evil Eye
    Hero

So your saying if Darkfall doesn't make itself like other games it isn't going to be good?
    DAOC might be an amazing game, I mean runescape and UO are both still alive and doing pretty well for themselves and UO was an amazing game but it is never going to be mainstream again. And it doesn't mean it is good it is just simple and we have a lot of simple people that need games to play. I don't want a daoc clone or an arena clone we have those type of games to play and should I decide to play them I can go play them, I like the way Darkfall is I like the style and what it is, I like the freedom of choice and the fear of making the wrong choice.

Carrot Soup likes this.
  2. MaxiHori

MaxiHori Akathar

If I wanted a daoc clone I would play daoc instead, I'm saying that there are other games around from where darkfall could learn something.
    I never said I wanted a daoc clone and I never said I want an arena, i want a self-sustained pvp, by doing pvp I should get everything I need to be better at pvp, including equip and exp, that's it.

Carrot Soup likes this.
  3. MikeJT

MikeJT Black Knight
    Supporter

Well Grief Goons is a bad example seeing as you had a network of houses setup to go all over the map in a very short period of time and you own numerous holdings.

Also population's not particularly high at the moment so there's little to no resistance when farming mobs in various locations. But I guarantee you when pop picks up, people will farm mobs near their holding much more often.

Plus, I don't know how you can say there's nothing to farm around Gulghat when you have a massive Hill Giant spawn you can easily get 20,000 gp in raw gold per hour at just a short raft ride away. You also have various other giant spawns littered around the place.

Each to their own I guess.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  4. Dixie Normus

Dixie Normus Black Knight
    Legend

Allow me to jump in here

There's nothing worth farming near gulghat.

Wes Furtive likes this.
  5. helgrik

helgrik Infernal
    Legend

When ppl know a holding is active, it is good manners to populate it so you may offer the appropriate greeting for your visitors.

A good host that is expecting visitors would not be away on holiday farming a menhirs.

6. Korag

Korag Evil Eye
    Hero

I mean ya do get equipment but do you expect that gear should just happen out of nowhere? cause someone has to get the gear from somewhere. Would you rather gear came from an NPC that everyone could get and everyone had the same gear based on the roll he/she chose to play? where does the gear come from? I do miss gaining exp from doing everything and hate that they took that away but I can see why they did it even if I don't agree with it. Your basically asking this game to not have a player driven economy in order for you idea to work. cause like I said gear has to come from somewhere???
    The game would do well learning from other games and using bits and pieces but what your asking for just isn't really feasible and if you would rather play an arena then so be it, that is your choice quite simply put this game isn't for you.
    --- Post updated ---
    Your guarantee is empty of any fact and full of shit 100% cause when the server was at its busiest and before all of the portal networks were revealed (for most of us at least) my small guild lived out of sunstone Island, we lived their until the vet zerg helped a newb clan take it from my small clan and we farmed and pvped all over the map. Daily we traveled around doing different spawns and pvp and whatever else we felt like doing, without houses and without a bunch of holdings. You really do have little to no clue about things you speak.

7. Dixie Normus

Dixie Normus Black Knight
    Legend

This is why I believe they need to add in factions like uo where you get a different currency for participating in faction wars that allows you to buy faction weapons and armor.

This would solve that guys problem and most other people that feel the need for instant gratification pvp.

Oh look, shoals going live! Get the boys let's roll out!

In uo I had so many different characters that I played in different ways and most of the time even my friends had no idea who my other chars were.

I had one or two specifically for factions. One or two for regular open world pvp. Couple of dungeon runners, couple of pve'ers couple of rp'ers.

Hell I remember having a drunken Scottish guy I would to rp in skara brae on a whim because he spawned with a kilt. I had so much fun on that guy lol.

They need to add more ways to play this game than competative pvp. Also character diversity. Fuck I've gone off on a rant sorry.

Korag, kingp43, MaxiHori and 2 others like this.
  8. MaxiHori

MaxiHori Akathar

1) Player vendor in every city, where everyone can sell everything (with a fee that goes to someone for reasons..)

2) Reward pvp with gold, a quest that tells you to go somewhere, a point to be capture, whatever... reward with goal

tadan! self-sustained pvp with a player driver economy! If you wanna have the super cool weapon then you can still farm some mobs, nobody is removing them

9. Not_Primetime

Not_Primetime Infernal
    Wealthy Legend

They arent doing vendors.

Posting in a discussion about a road map that you haven't read, classic and so Darkfall.

10. Korag

Korag Evil Eye
    Hero

Your guarantee is empty of any fact and full of shit 100% cause when the server was at its busiest and before all of the portal networks were revealed (for most of us at least) my small guild lived out of sunstone Island, we lived their until the vet zerg helped a newb clan take it from my small clan and we farmed and pvped all over the map. Daily we traveled around doing different spawns and pvp and whatever else we felt like doing, wit
    I have made several posts about Factions and I think having it center map in a triangle with the bases their would be awesome as shit while adding so much to the game but alas they appear to have fallen on deaf ears
    --- Post updated ---
    So you can do that now or with player vendors.
    If ya kill someone farming tadan!!! you just made gold and can go buy basic gear from someone. Have you actually played darkfall?
    That doesn't include leveling up though

11. Carrot Soup

Carrot Soup Celestial
    Legend

Again guys, you're talking about apples and oranges and forgetting the rotten bowl of fruit on the table. RoA has a very long way to go. DAoC as someone else clearly pointed out, is an extremely old but successful game. The primary reason for that success is the somewhat large tutorial zone that exposes you to how the game works, the fundamentals, the classes, and yes, the pvp. even at lower levels there is pvp where you can actually be halfway competitive, and THERE is the catch.. BPG needs to figure out some way of keeping noobs competitive vs one another while keeping them safe from the higher tier pvp'ers. instanced pvp is a loathed topic in darkfall because nobody likes instances, but the truth is, new players would be well served by instanced pvp vs just getting ass jumped at goblins by some bored vet. @Andrew and the guys need to figure out a way of exposing new players to darkfall's pvp without subjecting them to the constant curbstomping of bored mid to high tier players.

add content, add a tutorial that actually does the job well, add a mentor system, reduce the amount of skills available similar to the way AV did for UW, fix all the damned bugs instead of implementing changes to existing systems that did not need to be screwed with in the first place, stop making changes and fixes and start giving valid actual content additions (it's worth saying twice), and do something with the UI that does not include copy catting AV's terrible idea of icons or at least give players the option to have a custom UI. let me bind my keys/mouse buttons to what "I WANT" instead of what you think is better (i'm the one paying a sub to play.. not the devs), and get rid of the hackers/scripters that ruin the game for everyone.

other games, blah blah blah.. we need bpg, bpg needs us, they need to start making viable changes to help vs applying bandaid fixes. all the harvesting changes, the expedited leveling etc.. these are all bandaids. the fundamental problems are still there.. the only thing faster leveling will/is doing is making people bored faster which will lead to even bigger problems.

an mmo needs a grind, crafting needs a grind, progression should be slow but not stupidly slow. stop listening to the 'chosen few' in typical AV fashion and do the right thing. Make Darkfall Great Again.

Nerfsy and kingp43 like this.
  12. Pink Taco

Pink Taco Black Knight
    Hero

niffleheim starter island, indeed. No access to once you have left. Mentors program that asheron's call had - vassal/patron and rewards for the patron for having a successful vassal as he grows in the world - old suggestions tho.

Vassals can't grow without any grind heh

NonFactor likes this.
  13. helgrik

helgrik Infernal
    Legend

Noobie island. LET'S GO!

P.S. any vet that wants to enter has to donate their entire bank to a noob

14. Pink Taco

Pink Taco Black Knight
    Hero

Can have my bank, and 2 characters.

15. Wes Furtive

Wes Furtive Obsidian Golem
    Legend

Gimme

16. Pink Taco

Pink Taco Black Knight
    Hero

u no noobie lol

17. helgrik

helgrik Infernal
    Legend

Are you calling me a noobie?

18. Pink Taco

Pink Taco Black Knight
    Hero

All dorfs are noobies.

19. Sean Connery

Sean Connery Fire Elemental
    Tester

I can see how a newbie starter island will go right now. These so called vets that think they are the best will make brand new characters so they can join the newbie island. They will then proceed to kill and camp the new players that join the game.

20. Wes Furtive

Wes Furtive Obsidian Golem
    Legend

Make it a safe zone