Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Discussion: Developer Blog #4 - Tuesday, April 5th

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MWTaylor, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Rochus

Rochus Goblin Warlord
    Supporter

yep exactly, i don´t want to kill a dragon and get 650 gold and 10 big mana pots put of it, me, and probably most of the playerbase prefer worthy loot, u know, risk vs reward, not bullshit vs risk

2. Seronys

Seronys Skeleton Archer
    Tester

I'd really like to see the crafting mastery limit bumped up to 3. I realize the change is necessary to help the game, so I'm not going to argue against it, but 2 out of 9 seems a little harsh :3.

Also trading is going to be a major problem, I'm not looking forward to all the tradeganking that will occur. The vendor system is going to have to be revamped, or auction houses implemented, if we want to see a positive outcome on this change.

I mean it makes no difference to me, The only crafting I did in DFO was making bone sets, and random enchants here and there, and I'm sure some people will have alts, but there will be that portion of the playerbase that casually play the game, that will get tired of having to rely on unreliable people to gear up.

Also... realtalk: Does cooking really need a mastery -.-

#102 Seronys, Apr 6, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  3. Clarence Swamptown

Clarence Swamptown Black Knight
    Legend

Let's be honest here. A lot of people already had gathering alts... specially the type of players that would specifically work on crafting and gathering. The difference with such limitations is that the average player won't be getting (or won't need to get) an alt just for this. The problem with everyone being able to do every craft is that the true crafters end up becoming obsolete, and since they become obsolete, they either stop playing or stop producing. Either way, it means that they remove themselves from the market because there is less demand in general, and because it gets harder to get anything by trade, it forces players who normally wouldn't to start leveling their craft to become self sufficient. It's a vicious circle.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    Fengor and Green Chili like this.
  4. Rochus

Rochus Goblin Warlord
    Supporter

i think it´s a better solution if u remove the limitation and just increase the effort a player hase to take the more masteries he has, that would add a serious gold dump to the game, and u can easily make it nearly impossible to get every mastery maxed

Ikaika Koa and Sjouks like this.
  5. Clarence Swamptown

Clarence Swamptown Black Knight
    Legend

While that would also be a good way to do it, I would bet anything that the ones who really want to get all crafting skills will prefer buying alts instead of wasting mats and gold to level up a skill that raise really slow, and then the end result would be pretty much the same.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    Fengor likes this.
  6. DestLocke

DestLocke Chosen of Khamset
    Legend

"easily make it nearly impossible to get every mastery maxed" - what did you have in mind?

7. Green Chili

Green Chili Spellgazer
    Legend

It seems like some people are creating a problem were none exist.

(With this change) you are 2 allowed crafting skills, plus your crafting alt, friends/clannies(crafters), pvp loot, pve loot/money, gathering, selling/trading ,getting gear bags should never, ever be a problem.

If you choose to play an MMO as a single player game , yes, itis going to be more difficult. That is not the fault of the game.
    If you play chess, but insist on moving your rooks as if they were pawns, yes it's going to be harder to win.

I understand that limiting crafting to 2 options, in a game known for 2 things combat and freedom, it can seem a little concerning. In the long run, hardcore pvpers won't care that much and the crafters and economy get buffed.

I feel it is for the better for the non-pvp crowd . It allows crafters to have more of a niche.

In DFO selling crafted items was like going to the gas station, buying a Mountain Dew, then walking out the door and trying to sell it for a profit before it gets warm.

For me, it was always easier/less time consuming to sell ores, enchanting mats, et.c to crafters.

8. Green Chili

Green Chili Spellgazer
    Legend

And the people against these DFO crafting changes, are only seeing this issue from the worst case scenario, as if gear is going to be incredibly difficult to obtain.

As for the whole communism thing, did you read that somewhere and feel like it was a good fit for this thread?

9. DestLocke

DestLocke Chosen of Khamset
    Legend

For sure, we have to start somewhere, and 2 is the number we agreed on. Not much more to it than that.
    But what I haven't seen anyone say and now I'm thinking about - 3 does make more sense mathematically if diversity is our goal (or part of it).

9 choose 2 = 36 unique crafting mastery combinations.
    9 choose 3 = 84 unique crafting mastery combinations.

So that's interesting!

10. joshuawn

joshuawn Ghost
    Legend

believe me dest, it'll be quite a while until the 4 masteries that aren't weaponsmithing, armorsmithing, bowyer, tailoring, and enchanting become desirable.

unless you're going to implement the restrictions after all the masteries are determined to be equally economically viable/profitable, limiting the maximum number of masteries to 2 until then makes the most sense. more information about the restrictions on non-mastery enchanting must be formally laid out & publicly discussed until choosing 3 could truly work.

always err on the side of conservatism. lots of systems in darkfall 1 worked really well already; most darkfall issues could be resolved by minimalizing problematic factors & incentivizing others instead of creating new mechanics. never forget that.

down the road (just prior to launch), upping it to 3 could definitely work as long as there are at least 6 super profitable masteries.

that is, (n choose 3) > (n choose 2) && (n choose 3) >= (n choose 4) only when 6 <= n <= 7, where [n] is the set of all profitable masteries.

again, idk how quickly you want to roll out the framework of mastery restrictions, but i assume that you'd roll it out prior to major mastery-specific overhauls

#110 joshuawn, Apr 6, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
    Fengor likes this.
  11. gosti

gosti Frostjarl
    Legend

I like the crafting changes. Good stuff. Imo You should keep 2, because...

...of that.

Btw at some point the crafting materials were more expensive than the crafted item, because ppl were grinding their crafting skills. The supply was way higher than the demand.
    Any ideas how to fix that? Like dismantling the weapon for additional skill gains (mats are gone) or some kind of salvaging.

Xipos<3 likes this.
  12. Chris

Chris Skeleton Archer
    Supporter

13. Xipos<3

Xipos<3 Stormgraive
    Legend

I liked everything, especially the crafting bit. GJ guys! <3

14. Lord Lorde

Lord Lorde Goblin Warrior

Can't wait for the first day of the alpha. f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5

15. Fnights

Fnights Earth Elemental

You surprise me this time, you understand the big flaw of the DF1 economy, the jack of all trades.

This is a wise choice and a step in the right direction (DF as a mmorpg not as single player pvp arena).

16. Orellian

Orellian Goblin Scout
    Legend

Please no auction houses - local vendors only

17. Belmon

Belmon Goblin Shaman
    Legend

2 crafting masteries limit is like a thempark (wow), and very hard to get all masteris is like a sandbox game (eve)?

mmm what is better idea?

Ikaika Koa likes this.
  18. Xipos<3

Xipos<3 Stormgraive
    Legend

it's healthier for the economy. Towards the last year of DFO, I bought maybe stuff from other players just around 5 times lol. All the other times, I crafted my own stuff, enchanted it, and rolled out.

This is good change, imo :)

19. Auron

Auron Chosen of Khamset
    Hero

thx for the update ...

prepared calmly alpha then a few months of beta and let out the game early August :) please hehe gj

20. Maejohl

Maejohl Windlord
    Legend

This is precisely why crafting is being limited.

Obviously not to piss you off, but to force you to leave your holding and risk a transaction elsewhere (or to force the crafter to leave their holding and come to you).