Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Discussion: Development Update and Q3 2017 Road Map

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MWTaylor, Jul 1, 2017.

1. black horseman

black horseman Skeleton Archer

FYI ironskin isnt required to PvP. Everyone else would be on the same terms. You can also bring a more expensive gear bag to make up the resist differences.

Todd of Hartford and DarkGhost25 like this.
  2. Aristos Giannes

Aristos Giannes Cairn Giant
    Hero

I've never thought hard classes were a good idea. I'd like to see a soft skill cap still though. Where anyone can throw ironskin, but only an earth mage who specialized in earth magic would have a really good buff, with weaker other spells.

3. DarkGhost25

DarkGhost25 Black Knight
    Loyal Contributor Hero

People may not like that but it's probably the only way we'll ever see spells like corrosive blast used. I mean, BPG might balance it all eventually but they have made no effort thus far so it seems incredibly distant. Not a criticism per se, but I'm accustomed to seeing dead spells in darkfall games.

4. Killa162

Killa162 Crypt Guard

Decent news of the alignment tweaks kilrain, but I still have to agree with WithoutShame here. I've also posted about it and in any other "alignment" style PK system in other games, it's either, red = red or, blue = blue. There was never a middle ground or slightly less than a middle ground. Making reds be reds past 0 and blues be blues above 0 would be a solid stance on how alignment works. Not, "this is how alignment works, but by the way, theirs this light red color that has these specific rules attached to it apart from being red."

And rootedoak is right, if a mage takes earth for ironskin then that choice is limiting you to essential air magic choices. You'd have to party up with a mage that took air magic to get a "pull" come hither. Idk about stormblast/exploding charge used in group combat but those were more of a solo bhop mechanic then using those 2 spells on friendlies. Taking one school of magic will always limit you on the other, but that's the whole point thou, it's to have you make choices. It would give mages more meaning inside of a group to actively look for a fire mage and 1 water mage per group. Also doing these either or choices can lead to developing more spells for the schools to give more incentive to choose one or the other schools of magic. And there wouldn't be any "class" restriction, you'd still not be a destro so you can mix and match as much as you like. Unless you added passives to the game when you take certain schools you can buy "mage upgrade" passives that do something special if you say take Air/Water/Arcane or Earth/Fire/Necro and give special passives to both sets. Then that would be making "classes". But you'd still have freedom of choice not to take those and mix and match, you'd just not be able to take the passive for those specific grouping of schools.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  5. kilrain

kilrain Shadow Knight
    Staff Member Developer Team Lead

I received some complaints about the third color and what it meant, but many more complaints when it was removed and reds were suddenly allowed inside some cities.

Having these lesser cities open their access to mid alignment players is a feature we would like to keep, but in order to do so there needs to be a clear representation of who's allowed in there and who is not. If we only have red and blue, people get confused as to why reds are allowed inside these cities.

6. Killa162

Killa162 Crypt Guard

Being red means you've killed players. When killing players you know the risk. There's lawful and unlawful area's for a reason to take a hit to alignment and not taking a hit to it. So it being Red or Blue and nothing in between it represents that when you choose to go below 0 you no longer have access to such cities. People know this from going red you get hit by towers. So what would be the difference of restricting players to player holdings that your clan or alliance controls or chaos cities and wildy banks? Being red should be a consequence of not having any access to cities. It's like in movies, you're either good or bad. And unless your good but your playing a undercover cop, in the grand scheme your still good.

7. Frog

Frog Black Knight
    Loyal Hero

you're right, everybody would be waiting around for a perfect group composition because no one wants to go out and pvp and lose because you didn't have essential spells.

not to mention the loss of 4-5 rays, or any of the other crucial buffs. (if you want to take necro now you need to put hasten spells on your staff and have to give up mag or mana eff, if you can't see how that disturbs balance then you're being dishonest).

8. black horseman

Clearly this disturbs balance. There is zero reason why those things can't be balanced around and then I think we end up in a better place.

9. Frog

Frog Black Knight
    Loyal Hero

imo this equates to opening a can of worms and the benefits do not outweigh this risk. i know there's a big divide in the community in regards to character diversity and i'm on one side of the fence whereas you may be on another. in which case we won't agree regarding the second half of my first sentence.

Fengor and RootedOak like this.
  10. black horseman

Just so. I appreciate the discussion however.

11. Foomanchu

Foomanchu Goblin Warlord

12. WithoutShame

WithoutShame Celestial
    Supporter

Then just don't allow reds inside npc cities.. It's non-intuitive and adds nothing to the game. If you want to give people more leeway before going red, make them start with 400 alignment instead of 200. Which cities orange/reds can even go into is not very well explained either, so a new player will have no clue which ones they could go into when they are orange/red. If you just made all the npc cities simply +alignment you're ok, -alignment you get shot, it would be so much more intuitive. New players already have so much to learn, adding this on top of it is just frustrating for them.

Mycke likes this.
  13. Big Ed

Big Ed Goblin Shaman
    Supporter

There has been many complaints about having orange/red and red/red versions of this.
    Again as I have said, the cons out weigh the pros.
    But it seems your dev team is wedded to this idea. Do it, watch it fail, then please don't be afraid to go blue/red only.
    Reds have chaos cities, such as their actions have chose.

14. black horseman

They're trying to do two things with the 3 alignment colors.

First they don't want to ruin some noobs life if he goes red without fully understanding the consequences. 3 colors do this because they can still go to ancillary racial cities while semi red.

Second, they're trying to make the non capital cities feel more alive. No one really lives out of heart of eanna or chillborne and by allowing semi reds to live their it gives them a purpose in the game and makes the game seem more alive.

I would solve 1 by giving each new character a limited # of alignment impacting actions that can be taken without actually getting an alignment hit.

Make a pop up appear after each potential alignment hit that warns players that they will soon be judged by the gods of agon for their actions and this could make them a pariah.

I would solve 2 by creating a reason to visit secondary cities. You have a couple options here. You can place portals from the secondary cities to other secondary cities throughout agon. You could also create a series of quests that originate and terminate in the secondary cities that are worth doing. This gives the bonus of creating an additional reason to be blue.

If there are other reasons behind a 3 color alignment system then the two I stated I'd be glad to hear but I think there are better ways to solve those problems that minimize confusion to new players.

15. mrW

mrW Black Knight
    Legend

Roadmap looks like a list someone started and then ran away of ideas on what to put in. You can see more issues listed for first month while the other 2 months tell nothing. Still, it's a bit meh if you ask me and you should put up everything you plan to work at or expand upon what you mean by "Deployable Towers" or features that you list, because they don't tell anything.

Otherwise, Kilrain's comments clearly indicates you don't have a design lead for combat (and possibly other controversal things that need to be solved in one way or another) and no one is in position to make decisions. It seems like the group is just winging it and it's naive to expect any big changes to happen.

The task/prowess system is kind of missing the point totally. It was supposed to be NPE targeted feature, but it seems like it's turning to a questing/prowess alternative, which is as basic as kill X mobs. NPE is still quite lacking and instead of addressing common combat/diversity/content complaints that cause people to leave, we will get long overdue vendors, some armor dies and whatever else.

16. Super Star

Super Star Oak Lord
    Legend

nobody is leaving because of the combat, thats why people are staying. They will leave when they run out of stuff to do i.e anything to get them out into the world is a good priority.

Fengor and Skelly like this.
  17. White Panda

White Panda Goblin Warrior

design lead for combat? the game needs content combat is fine - also why do you care you dont play anyway

18. Slayven

Slayven Eodrin
    Legend

Encourage more diversity of combat choices through enhancements to weapons and gear as well as spell and skill balancing.,.
    in the original road map Ill be waiting for this

Aristos Giannes and Ringo Starr like this.
  19. Ringo Starr

Ringo Starr Deadeye

What I fear most about the new upcoming tasks is that 90% of them will possibly be kill X mobs while X is usually a number that turns the task into a very unenjoyable grind.

I cant wait for the racial change tokens. That is some great stuff.

Aristos Giannes likes this.
  20. Slayven

Slayven Eodrin
    Legend

essentially isn't this what a destro has to do wait around for his buff, 2 destro don't do to well against 2 buffed mages...your still needing this group composition of what you speak of no...?

DarkGhost25 likes this.