Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Discussion: Development Update Oct 17th, 2019

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Andrew, Oct 17, 2019.

1. MerleisAirdburne

MerleisAirdburne Black Knight
    Supporter

Territory Control?

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    WithoutShame likes this.
  2. ThiefGarrett

ThiefGarrett Earth Elemental
    Contributor

ditching the mindset that noobs or carebears need to be able to play without getting griefed all the time? Sounds like you agree with me.

3. Sero

Sero Menhir Sentinal
    Loyal Legend

Expecting it to happen without the game forcing it to happen. Top kek.

Battle Smurf likes this.
  4. ThiefGarrett

ThiefGarrett Earth Elemental
    Contributor

Oh I don't disagree, but we don't even know what rules they have in mind for it.

5. WithoutShame

WithoutShame Celestial
    Supporter

+1

News?

6. Auron

Auron Chosen of Khamset
    Hero

Blue zone you cant damage other players...
    Yellow zone if you kill someone you can take the loot but cant take the player gear weapons arrows reagents food mount....the player killed can respawn in the nearest chaos stone....
    Until you have low resource try easy solutions....you can always work on animation later...

7. Andrew

Andrew Eodrin
    Staff Member BPG Representative

Ganking will instantly remove all alignment and make you go red. As a red or grey player you will drop all items in yellow/blue zones so your risk is considerably more vs a blue player. Incapacitation and mugging will cost alignment but won't turn you red instantly unless you are lower alignment.
    --- Post updated ---
    In the blue zone(Humanlands) only peaceful flagged players cannot be damaged, the other 2 flags can be damaged which is a choice to open yourself up to. If you are attacking with a neutral PvP flag you will only be able to attack those who are flagged for Neutral or higher. Going into the top PvP flag will make you rogue and allow you to attack peaceful players in yellow, being rogue/red means if you die you drop everything in all zones.
    --- Post updated ---
    If players want to be a player killer and murderer than they accept the red/grey status which means that you will drop all items in all zones. Your risk is considerably higher than a blue player who may lose some or a good portion of their loot but won't lose their gear, lowering the sting of getting killed.
    --- Post updated ---
    What? We're not doing a BR convert I'm confused by this lol...?
    --- Post updated ---
    Yes this is the concept, if we allowed you to just open someone's inventory and take stuff we'd have to set a limit to prevent taking everything as what than would be the difference. And ganking/non-consensual PvP will carry more consequences and risk as you will drop everything always. Mugging is an option which will give you a smaller alignment hit and get some loot but in this way the other person doesn't lose everything just a portion of their loot and either party has a chance to get the better items so it's more fair. Opening an inventory would drain the downed player immediately of anything good they had and this mechanic is designed to help the blue more casual/peaceful players in yellow zones, not give reds choice of what to jack off their victims. If they want to make sure they got everything than they need to make the switch to red and throw away any and all positive alignment for that chance.

8. JEDIMind

JEDIMind Black Knight
    Wealthy

How are you determining what can be taken or dropped?

I'm gonna legit just run around with 1000s of Anarchist Stones on me. Mug me and break the server checking bags lol.

9. Andrew

Andrew Eodrin
    Staff Member BPG Representative

Indexing. We've already identified and are accounting for this kind of abuse :)

10. Auron

Auron Chosen of Khamset
    Hero

Andrew if you can make another teaser...one week before the release...thx

quietnoobz likes this.
  11. aparks

aparks Obsidian Golem
    Legend

Meh quicker to gank and loot. I think you should trash the mugging thing and turn it into thieving. Let you steal from bank staring space cadets like in mortal.

12. FirstNameLastNameRpIsCool

FirstNameLastNameRpIsCool Goblin Warrior

Pick pocketing and stealing were some fun skills in UO.

Slayven likes this.
  13. Buffalo Spaceman

Buffalo Spaceman Frostjarl
    Hero

Wow boys I been trying to occasionally defend you here, but jesus christ this mugging system. I've never seen anybody miss the mark so fucking hard before. This is an absolute useless way to do it and misses the entire point of a mugging system.

Fuck boys get your heads out of your asses.

14. Animal

Animal Eodrin
    Hero

If there's a way to fuck it up.... they'll find it. lmao

15. TyteDaddyTite

TyteDaddyTite Obsidian Golem
    Legend

Yeah, that mugging really does miss the mark. Do you guys not understand why people were asking for something like that? Clearly not.

Slayven likes this.
  16. kilrain

kilrain Shadow Knight
    Staff Member Developer Team Lead

We need to ask ourselves why mugging would even exist if ganking exists? What's the purpose for having it and what is the incentive for using it? What's the incentive to gank if mugging exists? There needs to be trade-offs between the two or one is completely useless.

Pvp flags (names tentative):
    1. Peaceful - this is the player that doesn't want to attack other blues and lose alignment and is not consenting to pvp.
    2. Neutral - this is the player that doesn't want to attack other blues, but is consenting to pvp. Other neutral and hostile players can attack or be attacked by this player without penalty outside of NPC cities.
    3. Hostile - this player want's to be able to attack any player outside of the blue area (human lands and npc cities) and is willing to take the penalty for attacking Peaceful "blue" players. They are flagged rouge permanently upon selecting the Hostile flag and it can only be removed by praying at a church.

First off, lets look at the pvp rules. If you are flagged netural or hostile you can pvp each other to your hearts content and unless we change the rules you can also gank them without penalty. So mugging is really only something a hostile player will be doing against a peaceful player in lawful areas. So why would a hostile player mug a peaceful player instead of ganking? Well, if most of your PVP is allowed, because you can fight other pvp flagged players without penalty, then the only way you can lose alignment is if you are flagged hostile and you kill, mug or gank a peaceful player. The incentive to not go red is the driving force here. If you don't want to be red and you want to see what that blue, peaceful player might drop you can incapacitate and mug them for a much less harsh penalty than if you gank them.

Ask yourself this. If you were farming out in the world and someone mugged you and took everything of value, would you care if they went ahead and ganked you? I know at that point I wouldn't care. The reason I'm out there farming is already stripped from me and I'm sure not going to hop back up and start farming again so someone else can come buy and get the next round. Just allowing someone to take whatever they want through mugging completely defeats the purpose of having a different option.

"letting them live" is not encouraging. Letting them keep some of their hard earned stuff is.

When it comes to griefing through mugging, it's just a simple matter of timers. If you can only be mugged once during a time period there's no point in taking the alignment hit downing the player again because mugging wont work.

17. Adam Worth

Adam Worth Goblin Shaman
    Hero

I agree with you from the perspective of a developed toon. But I dont think anyone will spare a developed toon at a good spawn.

But one of the most frustrating scenarios for new players is to go farm for a while in one of their only gear sets / mounts. Maybe even the only gear set or mount they have and essentialy be reset totaly and end up at the bank walking out on foot, poorer than they were before.

For that player holding onto their mount and shitty gear set allows them to suck it up, move on to a new spawn having lost time but not actually having just farmed for a while and come home poorer than when they set out. Or even have to hit bushes for a new mount, wasting more of their playsession just recovering their basic losses.

Thats much less demoralising.

A mechanic to save someones gear bag and mount surely should be aimed to protect pkayers that cannot afgord to loose their bag and mount. ie fresh players.

Not bashing the mechanic though. Its a good durection and cool animation.

When players gank newbs it is normally because there is one low levelish enchant mat, for example, that the spawn drops which is still of use to a developed char. Lets say to make greater pots or staff crafting. I think as it is they will mug to see if that drops and if nit just gank him after. Or if there is a cool down of some sort his friend can just gank for him.

#37 Adam Worth, Oct 24, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
    Dazz likes this.
  18. Dazz

Dazz Goblin Scout
    Legend

I agree with most people here that you are not getting it. Alignment rules are fine, but has nothing to do with mugging.
    Being able to see everything (that can be looted according to previous rules) and pick what you want is the desiderable feature. You can even make them take the same aligment hit if you want.

I've been in both sides and here is why its needed.
    1. You are assuming people that are red are kinda evil persons, its just a game and they want some fun/benefit.
    2. When a red kills anyone, they just want the juicy stuff. If you can pick what you want, then most people would probably even rez the victim. Since this is not allowed, they gank. Mugging would avoid the ganking.
    3. When i have been the victim, and a higher ranking guy kills me in a shitty gear (could be a R40 compared to a R70), most times they only take the regs, high quality enchants and leave the gear and shitty loot, so i actually had to spend time going back to the grave to recover all the things that they left. Mugging solves this.
    4. This even allows more roleplaying, i could ask for a fee or kill and actually check if someone is lying.
    5. And on the other hand, some victims dont even care about the loot at first, they just want to raise their spells/skills, complete tasks or quests. mugging would save them travel time.
    And if you are concern that mugging would make someone half geared unable to play, then add more options:
    1. blue players dont drop gear that is equipped.
    2. blue premium players can buy ensurance,
      • Ensurance for regs. Guarantee that you keep a minimun of regs after mugging.
      • Ensurance for not equipped gear. Guarantee that you keep a staff/bow/2H after mugging.
      • Items with ensurance just dont appear on the backpack when mugging or ganked.
      • I guess a way to implement this, could be linking the ensurance to a slot of the grid. So the first thing available on that slot has ensurance.

Grimtide likes this.
  19. Squanto

Squanto Black Knight
    Legend

good point.

Seriously though, alignment is currently entirely meaningless. No one cares, there is no benefit to being blue and no real negative to being red so who would ever mug if you get RNG items out of it? Seems like a waste of 2+ weeks of development time that could have been spent on.... pretty much anything that would give players a reason to be logged in/log in/play the game.

You guys are so disconnected from your game and the playerbase its embarrassing.

edit:

What # pivot is this? First TCS, then Relics, then Divination Cards, then new Armor sets, now mugging? Is any of this ever going to be released?

#39 Squanto, Oct 24, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
    Scrubby Bear, MaxiHori and Grimtide like this.
  20. Grimtide

Grimtide Evil Eye
    Legend

Thanks for the update, just a couple of things I want to ask,

How close is the regional loot system to being done? I remember farming eodrins one time (I don't really farm much ever) and the droprate was horrible. 2 eye in 6 eodrin killed, lol? Didn't try to farm anything else, I was loaded already to never have to farm except for stat pots (lol).

Cool feature for a BR maybe but with this community I don't think anything will happen to the "problem" of "noobs" getting ganked farming because there aren't many noobs farming in noob spawns. These days most noobs either quit in a few days or they stick it out a bit then have to make a choice, join a clan or don't play basically. I was told nobody plays except blackwater, idk, don't play myself so I really don't know how many people play day to day currently.