Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Discussion: Early Development Roadmap

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hugo, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Johnjon

Johnjon Skeleton Archer
    Affluent

I agree. On another note I have always wanted schools to be a little more defining in how they represent themselves. For instance,

Fire magic - This school had the most offensive firepower in it. Make their spells cost most mana per cast.

Earth magic - An all around balanced school with damage, and defense. Their skills can be of average cost or maybe even left the same.

Water magic - Debuffs, Dots, and okay damage. Make these cost the least mana overall.

Air Magic - Average damage, and give these skills a slight stamina damage boost to different it from the others. Make these of above average costing stats.

Necro, Witchcraft, Arcane, and Spell chanting I think solidified themselves with their roles and were different enough that they should be left alone. Now the change in this example is minimal but it gives a player more choices where as before they are being forced into the magma, ray, ray, occasional fireball stagnant rotation. With a ups and downs of each school each player can get a little more room to be creative in their rotations.

2. Down Syndrome

Down Syndrome Fire Elemental
    Legend

Air and water did more stamina damage...

3. Johnjon

Johnjon Skeleton Archer
    Affluent

Of course, but what i'm getting at is that the more popular schools ala fire magic had almost no downside. The air and water had the downside that they didn't output huge damage like its brother could. Fire had utility with its knockups, screen shaking, huge damage, AoE, and good casting speed in addition to just as much damage if not more than the other school equivalents. Also what I said was just an example, you can go further into it through mana costings, casting speeds, and what not. I just wanted to paint a picture how each school needed it's downside, and upside to give more diversity other than what were used to.

4. NonFactor

NonFactor Fire Giant
    Affluent Legend

Dont.

5. Lakisuria_Moonglade

Lakisuria_Moonglade Varangian Warthane
    Legend

I try my best, even if my articulation is awfully poor. I do agree on that end as well which is why I suggested the partially instanced nodes. To that end though, warfare will be pretty constant if the population booms like that. I imagine if everyone is roaming and pvp is literally all over the map pretty constantly afking will most certainly result in regular if not constant death.

Granted I can't promise that being the actually case and afk harvesting is certainly fairly safe when the population is lower. With the exception of starter areas and harvesting in cities.

Perhaps BPG can consider one of my other suggestions where nodes can have "Infinite" resources however when they are "Tapped out" they only give minimal ore. Perhaps 1-2 or Maybe even making the harvesting time longer for them as well. This would also yield no rare mats. This would allow those harvesters to stay on the same node for as long as they like, gain some materials and continue with their afk-lifestyle.

Just my own thoughts on that.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    Carrot Soup likes this.
  6. Carrot Soup

Carrot Soup Celestial
    Legend

if you've got crafters on your team, are they still sane after seeing the proposed changes? does anyone listen to them?

I hope that BPG means well with the proposed harvesting changes, i simply do not see the benefits of it, which is why i feel you have no full time crafters on your team. If i'm wrong then so be it, but the proposed changes indicate a desire to push crafters into pvp, vs letting them craft. why else would you put in a system that requires us to spend our active game time harvesting instead of crafting and harvesting during our 'down time' hours? which is why I feel you have no crafters on your team, that little voice in the background saying wait a tic guys, nobody is going to like this.. so if they're there, they're being ignored, out voted, or they're masochistic.

as someone who is learning game coding, i would never put in a mechanic to make pvp players, go out and grind crafting skills unless they simply WANT to, the same for the crafting crowd, so i find the logic of you guys forcing crafters to go out and pvp difficult to understand.

#286 Carrot Soup, Mar 10, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  7. zander

zander Chosen of Khamset
    Legend

I think most vets acknowledge DFO needed fixing, there aren't many who want it to remain exactly as it was. This include some changes to the combat mechanics - BUT this should also be done after other more important features are introduced. DFO combat was in a great place already, it can use work but first comes content and NPE enhancements.

Combat can use some changes but these are all things that were said throughout the life of DFO and since.
    - Reduce knockup chains, reduction in blind spam, changes to how WOF worked to make it less frustrating. As a few off the top of my head.
    Dest was hardly known as a PK'er, he ran a large clan of more casual players and ran a lot of community events. His clan also had some of the most prolific crafters for a long period of DFO.

You are overstating the impact of a change to harvesting too much. It will be insignificant beyond making harvesting less time consuming and tedious.

PENETRATOR likes this.
  8. propain

propain Frostjarl
    Loyal Hero

Agree, the minority are the ones that just want DFO back, no changes, so that it can die again in a year. Most people here see that the game needs to change it's ways to have a chance to be successful. Through content, fixing bugs, or trying to retain the casual new player. Third time is the charm boys!

PENETRATOR likes this.
  9. Carrot Soup

Carrot Soup Celestial
    Legend

i dont feel like i'm overstating the requirement to be active doing something that i could previously do semi/mostly afk. its a pretty huge change to my personal play style.

10. Wizard of Yndor

Wizard of Yndor Deadeye

Dude, please stop calling AFK a fucking "play style". A person either sits down, and plays a video game, or else they don't. And AFK is quite literally NOT playing.

Now why should the actual players who are in game, being active, moving around harvesting, and spending our real time and such be forced to compete against robo-harvesters?

The fastest way to run all of the live crafter/harvester type players out of this game is to force them to compete for resources, and viable market pricing against robo-harvesters.
    Hopefully this dev team doesn't underestimate the damage AFK harvesters do to MMORPG communities, and shuts that crap down long before it ever starts.

DestLocke likes this.
  11. Carrot Soup

Carrot Soup Celestial
    Legend

if it is how i played the game, how is it not a play style? stop being rude.

http://www.yourdictionary.com/playstyle

fact #1 bpg wants me to spend my active time in game, harvesting and not doing what i liked which was crafting.
    fact #2 this takes more time away from my crafting grind because now i have to drone around during my available game time collecting instead of crafting.

call it what you want, call it not gaming, i dont care. outside of this forum, nobody cares. if bpg wants darkfall to stay alive more than a year, they better care. making partial and unnecessary changes to the economy in order to appease a very vocal yet very small group of players who are complaining about the only grind in the game that actually made sense, is not smart thinking. If you will pay attention and read all of the posts, and read what Hugo said about their intentions, you'll understand. The proposed changes are not meant to benefit anyone except the 'i cant find pvp because the world is empty' crowd.

They suspect that by making us 'active' that we'll gear up, go out in groups, and become some sort of meaningful pvp. it is simply not going to happen.

12. Synna

Synna Black Knight
    Legend

The people who gather gathers, you craft so you buy the materials from them.

13. Nuyur

Nuyur Wildtribe Mage

Its about the time he could spend afk, harvesting.
    If you move every 10-15 minutes, you could still get something done.
    Thats being changed now.
    To being afk 1-4 minutes, while gaining less from each individual node.

So in effect, you cant afk. (intended)
    But, thats what a lot of people did.
    So without it, they will be online less.
    Less players online = less pvp. Before you could find an afk harvester...now you wont.

I understand the intended changes, but you cant invalidate his point of view just because you dont think of it that way

Carrot Soup likes this.
  14. Sloppy

Sloppy Goblin Warlord
    Legend

By that argument, they better add those blood walls back in and increase swimming gains!
    Those were my favorite AFK activities and really made the world feel alive!!!!!!!!!!!! /end sarcasm!

RagnarokDel likes this.
  15. Nuyur

Nuyur Wildtribe Mage

But that was done for stat/skill grind.
    You dont harvest for stat/skills (most of the time).
    You do it for the resources.

And even then, there were plenty of people that enjoyed killing a bloodwall after raiding a holding. It messed up a lot of shit and pissed people off. Im not sure your arguement is going the direction you want it to.

The only reason why bloodwalling was a REAL negative, is that early on the server would actually reach max capacity and put players in the queue. So active players were trying to get in, while afk players were holding slots.
    Highly doubt thats going to happen at the start...and with all the changes to stat/skill gains. Bloodwalls already arent a possibility.

Carrot Soup likes this.
  16. Flying Dutchmaster

Flying Dutchmaster Gravelord
    Legend

"BPG better do this" "very small very vocal minority"
    Exageration will not further your point. You're standing in defense of a broken half finished system. It needs to be changed one way or another because thinking it was optimal is a logical fallacy. I don't care how much you liked it or how nostalgic it feels. It should be improved.

17. Wizard of Yndor

Wizard of Yndor Deadeye

Replies in blue. ^^^

18. BelalCham

BelalCham Goblin Warrior
    Supporter

agreed
    --- Post updated ---
    that is a definite downside
    --- Post updated ---
    feels like uw>.<

19. Carrot Soup

Carrot Soup Celestial
    Legend

so your response is that we dont like the change because of bots? you are indeed naive. If i had a bot, or many bots, i would not be so foolish as to draw attention to myself.

nuyur was exactly correct and you're being way more melodramatic that i've been accused of being. its a bad change and will benefit only a very small percentage of players, and will indeed result in less harvesters, thus a dead game.

i had one account, my crafter. thats it. no bots, no alts, no silly crap that other players felt the need to do. i harvested while afk, and crafted while AT MY KEYBOARD.

revoving this, will remove my incentive to even be out harvesting.

20. Nuyur

Nuyur Wildtribe Mage

Lets be clear here.
    If its botting on nodes, i agree this change would have an effect.
    But those bots were made before.
    The nodes are still static.
    The gains are still predictable.
    The harvest time is still predictable.

So if there were bots before, there will be now.
    And before the income per hour was less, so if anything...you'd be against this change. Because it will increase the effectiveness in gaining an economical advantage (though, i really had to laugh...its like 1-2k gold per hour harvesting. Almost any mob spawn will provide you with at least 5x that).

Having played other mmo's, i think you underestimate the ammount of time people are capable of playing semi afk. Where 1 action is required every 10-15 minutes.
    And what it provides doesnt have to be much, its the fact that people can put it on and walk away.

Thats whats being argued for here. If the idea is to stop previous bots from working...they'll just be remade...