Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Discussion: Extended Downtime on Sept 1st

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MWTaylor, Sep 1, 2017.

1. MikeJT

MikeJT Black Knight
    Supporter

Who cares?

If people aren't showing up why does anyone care if a naked is capping a village?

As it stands you can cap numerous villages in the game naked with nothing but a siege hammer cause they're only worth 160 gp an hour and no one bothers with them.

Here's my village pay-out table (completely incomplete, and a little outdated, but gives you the gist of the matter). Bottom four are barely worth the time and effort to travel to them even after capture rewards.

Eltaria 110
    Kuldnak 130
    Ashatan 160
    Ozenhal 160
    Aziram 170
    Sarthan Sea 210
    Savaril 250
    Quica 370
    Snowfort 380
    Vakrah 500

Add the variability of capture rewards to the mix and it's no wonder why very few people are going to bother. Best payout I've gotten from a village was something like 15 of every essence, 10 Q4 mats, 5 limestone and 5 mahogany, 3 steedgrass and maybe 5 catalysts. That's maybe 4000-5000 gp worth of stuff, but then I need to find a buyer for all that crap if I want to transferred to gold.

The worst payout I've ever had was a handful of enchanting mats and essences. Maybe 1000 gp worth of stuff.

Consider also that it takes ages to get to some of these villages without a ship or living right next to them and by the time you factor in travel time, capture time, re-securing your ship time, the capture rewards aren't worth it most of the time. Then, if you plan on capping multiple VCP's, you're going to need a strongbox on ship or you're over encumbered after 2, at most 3 VCP's. Ship strongboxes are lost on despawn which just adds to the cost.

If they made ship strongboxes an asset that could be undeployed and used an infinite amount of times then maybe we'd see more people capping sea villages at least.

Right now all they seem to do is give house owners a free hand-out every 12 hours.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  2. Statusquo

Statusquo Goblin Warlord
    Affluent Loyal Supporter

Ok so this is a good change in the way VCP's are fought over.. I like that now people can show up and not sit there afk with a click macro while their naked hits the stone with a hammer. This will cause ALOT more pvp if the rewards are worth the time.

I think i read that VCP's will be going live every 30 minutes? in theory that sounds good but with such a low pop right now maybe we can adjust the timers to last a bit longer. Considering alot of people have to run a ways to get to VCP's and if one is going live every 30 minutes if the rewards are good enough you wont ever need to farm mobs again. So looking forward to testing this out and really giving the proper feedback to it.

I think Dread_OG had the right idea with like bonus rewards. Like dropping a cobra staff or a piece of infernal or something extra, but i think those higher rewards should be dropped right into your bag. so you get all the gold for capping in your bank but the real good stuff gets dropped in your bag and thats one more thing you need to protect. I mean if the Trade routes make me run 45 minutes and then hope that i dont get jumped at the end why do VCP's get the special treatment.

Green Chili likes this.
  3. blkgnd802

blkgnd802 Goblin Warrior

Don't make it involve 20-30 minutes of sitting around. Long travel times are bad and so are long wait times.

A few minutes to cap it as a group and if nobody shows up then a naked deserves to solo cap it in 10 minutes. Players should have plenty of warning that a village is going live and opportunity to get there. There should be a chance to contest it right as it goes live and 5-10 minutes as it's getting capped. You wouldn't even need an insane amount of loot to make it worth doing, it just has to be quality loot:

-Gold
    -Rare ores
    -Q4-5 mats
    -% chance to get something really uber like a Cobra Staff
    -Reagents

Also fast travel would support the new VCP system by getting players there to contest it.

Wes Furtive, Statusquo and Squanto like this.
  4. MikeJT

MikeJT Black Knight
    Supporter

100% gold. That way people can buy what they want instead of spending time trying to find buyers for a bunch of random stuff they don't want.

5. Frog

Frog Black Knight
    Loyal Hero

The rewards should be practical.

A good example would be:

5 eye
    5 tooth
    5 venom sac

Of quality 3+

6. MikeJT

MikeJT Black Knight
    Supporter

Why not just do a pre-enchanted Q3 gem and cut out one more step?

The Red King and Wes Furtive like this.
  7. GrimReapiN

GrimReapiN Chosen of Khamset
    Contributor

I agree. @kilrain. Think of players trying to cap multiple villages. If they want to do so, they need to account for travel time. The only valid reason for them missing a vcp should be the fight took too long, not so much the capturing of the village. If ones going live every 30 minutes, players will prepare themselves so don't worry.

MikeJT likes this.
  8. Nat

Nat Shadow Knight
    Legend

[​IMG]

9. Mega

Mega Earth Elemental
    Legend

DND ripoff

10. MikeJT

MikeJT Black Knight
    Supporter

Dungeons and Dragons doesn't have village capture points.

Fengor, Nat and Wes Furtive like this.
  11. sceptre69er

sceptre69er Goblin Scout

Hope you are not serious, 8-12hrs is crazy. What the deal here? Was hoping you guys were kidding. Infact I just logged in, killing those zombies and got this popup saying I have few minutes for shutdown, holy hell.

12. rikilii

rikilii Celestial

Good job at shouting into the echo chamber.

If you're so smart, explain to us how making people stand on pads, rather than throwing battlespikes, causes people to "actually go and fight each other".
    --- Post updated ---
    Holy shit, good point. It didn't occur to me that this change would ruin one of my favorite ways to cap villages.

I'll never understand the tendency of Darkfall developers, whoever they are, to make unasked for changes to existing content, rather than adding new. In the time it takes them to develop this, they could have added in a simple, non-timer-driven mechanic to give players an incentive raid cities.

At the very least, if you're hell-bent on adding this new village system to the game, then ADD it, don't substitute it for the existing village capture system. ADD something new to do, rather than replacing something. And while you're at it, tie it somehow to territory control (only can do it if you own an adjacent holding), and raiding cities. For example, make the rewards pile up over time in the clan bank until collected by the owning clan (i.e. once you collect, the rewards stop addindg, so the longer you wait, the more you get), but can be stolen by raiders if not collected.

#52 rikilii, Sep 1, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  13. kilrain

kilrain Shadow Knight
    Staff Member Developer Team Lead

Ok my bad guys. I was tired when I wrote the responses last night and I couldn't remember the timeframes that were discussed, but it looks like an uncontested takeover would be ~6-7 minutes.

You don't stand on pads. You claim them and then move around freely defending them from anyone else trying to take them. It's a battle tug-o-war.

Fengor likes this.
  14. Goretusk

Goretusk Goblin Shaman
    Hero

what uses do siege hammers have now?

15. MikeJT

MikeJT Black Knight
    Supporter

Cheap way to destroy clanstones/strongboxes.
    --- Post updated ---
    Read the post maybe?

16. rikilii

rikilii Celestial

There's an easy solution to that problem: Give the cap to the group/person/clan who does the most damage.

17. kilrain

kilrain Shadow Knight
    Staff Member Developer Team Lead

That is how the current system works and the root of the problem Gaius is referring to.

Nat, Fengor, RootedOak and 1 other person like this.
  18. rikilii

rikilii Celestial

Ok, but so what? That doesn't answer my question. How is this any better than the existing mechanism?

At the very least, go ahead and add it to the game, but actually ADD it rather than substituting it, and tie it to something else (see my previous post), so it gives people MORE things to do rather than taking one thing away just to add a new one.
    --- Post updated ---
    99% of contested village caps involve one group getting wiped, and the winner taking the village. This new system will be exactly the same, so having a comeback mechanism won't get us anywhere. But if you really think it would, just reduce the reset time on the existing system to 5 minutes.

Or better yet, take this new system, and make it way to capture the many unused Hamlets all over the map, in real time, on demand, instead of applying it villages.

Methodico likes this.
  19. MikeJT

MikeJT Black Knight
    Supporter

Gotta say, you guys should try to make it so there's village capture "circuits":.

As in, you could have Hundvin go live. 60 mins after that, Khalbun will go live. 60 after that, Vakrah, then Rhodenar, then Gunseran. Meanwhile elsewhere on the map, Chilbourne goes live, then Darkmouth, then Lainstone, then Trinwood, OCB, Dukes...

Then Elish/Harjik/Aldenfau/Valley of the Kings/Rhyhandel/Blackwood/Gul Jarnath/Anshar. And so on.

The idea being, that no matter where you are in the game world, there's almost always going to be a village capture "circuit" that's currently attracting PvP. When a cap is done people can move on to the next and then the next and so on and so forth.

By the time the Nth village is captured, N hours have passed and the first one will be up for capture again in just a few hours.

Pretty much means that no matter when you log in during the day, there will be a village somewhere near you that's going up shortly or within the hour.

Make sure different "circuits" are staggered so that there will always be at least one village up for capture in any part of adjust circuits.

Kanak likes this.
  20. Cincere

Cincere Dire Zombie
    Hero

No is playing the game to fight over control...