Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Discussion: Extended Downtime on Sept 1st

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MWTaylor, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Grimtide

Grimtide Evil Eye
    Legend

Those ancient wizards also infused the villages with an ancient spell by the one called BAELZEBUB THE DEVIL and it is unlocked in the new patch to allow portal travel to villages captured by clans in this manner.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  2. GrimReapiN

GrimReapiN Chosen of Khamset
    Contributor

Lets fuckin hope

3. Down Syndrome

Down Syndrome Fire Elemental
    Legend

Can we get rid of timers and just make them live all the time? Why does it have to be you have control for X hours? Make it a 15 minute cap time, and can be capped constantly. Either you defend your capped village or you don't get to have it. No more of clan "X" runs around the map capping 8 villages. Scale rewards based on location/ease of access to the village.

kingp43 likes this.
  4. Aristos Giannes

Aristos Giannes Cairn Giant
    Hero

Definitely sounds better. But honestly I never liked the idea of controlling villages set up like a mini game to begin with. I remember being really disappointed with villages when AV first came out with them because I was expecting a more natural, customizable system. I imagined villages just being a collection of player houses that you have some freedom in where to place, and you can use your house, or come together as a village, to use as capital with wilderness resource nodes or something similar. So instead of controlling an arbitrary control point that has no tie or real impact on the world, you could actually control the territory around the village and the potential. resources within it. I was always expecting a sandbox approach, so I was disappointed they went with a theme park like option. If you guys could focus on the former instead of the latter that would be amazing. 'Control pads' is a gametype you'd find in a generic FPS game. I'm not playing Darkfall to get that kind of experience.

Keep in mind an RPG player will always ask himself "why am I sitting her casting a spell to 'control' this village? What does that even mean? Is there anymore depth to this in the lore or is this just a theme park gimmick?" Let's keep the dream of an RPG sandbox with great combat alive!

#144 Aristos Giannes, Sep 2, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
    kingp43 likes this.
  5. Grimtide

Grimtide Evil Eye
    Legend

They could implement some sort of steal feature while villages are capped which steals part of the gold from the taxes people paid and has a 10-20 min steal time and must remain within the vicinity of the bindstone (maybe a lock box near it) and it alerts people who own or are bound to houses in that village that they better stop the thief or they will have to pay their taxes again!

6. rikilii

rikilii Celestial

Brilliant!!!

One of the stupidest things AV did was get rid of that instead of just fixing it.

7. kilrain

kilrain Shadow Knight
    Staff Member Developer Team Lead

Timers are there to control the influx of resources into the economy. If the rewards were scaled to allow each village to be capped every 15 minutes then the rewards for the time/effort it takes to capture wouldn't be worth it.

8. Down Syndrome

Legend

... So instead of being 8 hours worth of loot break it down into 30 minutes worth and give it in ticks starting after the first 30 minutes of it being held...

You can even make rewards have a slight chance of better items after being held x amount of time.

Also the real reward is getting fights out of it.
    Timerfall - "Hey guys all the villages are capped none going live for a few hours, I'm logging off."
    vs.
    "Hey guys clan A has control of village X, wanna go start a fight?"

#148 Down Syndrome, Sep 2, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
  9. Grimtide

Grimtide Evil Eye
    Legend

read my reply to you instead.

10. Down Syndrome

Legend

I did and I was going to refrain from commenting. It's just a griefing mechanism. What about the people who aren't currently online? Why wouldn't people just do this naked in the least active times of day? It's not really risk and reward in my eyes.

11. Grimtide

Grimtide Evil Eye
    Legend

It would create action around villages, if they made the rewards worth it and why is it a problem if they aren't online? Maybe that would encourage them to be more active in LIVING at their HOUSES and DEFENDING them. If your worry is that people will lose their houses because they don't know about the taxes being stolen, it could give them an alert when they log in that their tax payment has been stolen by so and so. They could find out where those people live and steal their taxes etc. Multiple clans own different houses in each village, very few villages are owned by entire clans, if any. This would create organic pvp and non timered random PVP in between the village captures allowing villages to be hotspots all of the time instead of just timered.

How is it a griefing mechanic, are you serious? Anything encouraging pvp and activity is a griefing mechanic?

Some people might do it naked at wierd times of the day or night but there can be a timer on stealing from the village....also, if someone previously stole the village taxes the reward for the next thief wouldn't be as good, therefore if someone stole from the village during primetime it would discourage anyone wasting their time from doing it in off times.

I appreciate you bringing that up and actually please continue to be devils advocate, it would help me flesh this idea out further.

12. Down Syndrome

Legend

Your power of reading comprehension is astounding.

Because it won't be used to start fights, it'll be used to grief. Nakeds/alts would get the most use out of it. Tax payments are so small it's not worth the time to stop what you're doing and go fight for it without knowing how many people etc. You'd be better off to just spend 15 minutes to go collect another tax payment to go pay later. You can blindly recall to the village and most likely end up outside your house and debuffed before the fight even starts for a lousy 1k gold, risking a bag that is almost assuredly worth more, or you can just port out to your house later and pay the taxes again.

Think things through before you spout off stupid shit. No-one lives out of their houses because the game isn't set up for you to live out of your house. The current mechanics in the game just make it a secondary/tertiary bind.

13. Grimtide

Grimtide Evil Eye
    Legend

You're not being very helpful. I also editted my initial post with more ideas. Try to use your imagination instead of slinging insults you arrogant cunt.

Houses taxes in some villages would be upwards of 15k (could be some other shit involved as well like rare ores/enchant mats, whatever is farmed in the area goes into a pot at a certain %) in 10 mins while telling everyone who owns a house and is bound to a house in that village that there is pvp there. If multiple people ported in to stop the guy it would be ffa chaos. You could piss off your neighbors by stealing the pot as well or let it build up to make it more enticing. Some visual indicator of how VALUABLE the village is on the map or if you visit the village as well.

14. Void

Void Varangian Warthane
    Loyal Legend

I think its funny that no one can see what is happening here ., let me break it down .,
    #1. The current systems for housing sucks and is way to much work for most people to relay put in the effort to build anything larger then a cottage.

#2 unless they add a new mechanic so everyone can get a lot of housing mats at and accelerated rate housing will die.

#3 if A SAINT CAN BIND TO A CAPITAL CITY THEN WHY CANT A VILLAIN BIND TO A CHAOS CITY

15. rikilii

rikilii Celestial

The rewards for capping a village are currently worth a few K, and it can take 30 minutes, including travel time to do it. That's about equivalent to farming goblins. 5K mobs respawn often and take about the same amount of effort.

I'm exaggerating a bit, but if they were vulnerable every hour, and the rewards were double what they are now, it wouldn't be an issue.

16. kilrain

kilrain Shadow Knight
    Staff Member Developer Team Lead

We are increasing the rewards for sure, but the comment you are referring to were in regards to making a village live every 15 minutes.

17. rikilii

rikilii Celestial

I agree that 15 minutes is too fast, but my point was just to keep in mind that the rewards can be in line with other high-end sources of income, and it doesnt' just have to be gold.

18. Shivs

Shivs Crypt Guard

Is this actually what your thinking as rewards, beyond those clan points mentioned earlier ?

You do understand how and why ownership of houses works in game ?

They are mostly held on naked alts with nothing in there banks and used as portals ?

19. MikeJT

MikeJT Black Knight
    Supporter

I actually really don't like the new idea of capping villages.

I think the current system needs reworking and extra rewards are necessary, but I don't think the system should be radically changed.

Link the village rewards to the amount of trade/activity that goes through a village.

If someone uses their village as a crafting point, some of the gold from all their crafting should go to the village cap total. All the vendor fees from any trade in the village should also contribute to the cap total.

This gives player an incentive to maximise trades in their village, and craft in their village as well.

Allow vendors to BUY from players too and take a cut of that and put it on the village total.

A player could, for example, set his player vendor to buy mahogany/limestone/essences/rares and allow players to sell their rewards immediately after getting them. If your village is right next to a popular spawn, you could have your vendor buy the skinning mats from that spawn whilst you supply skinning knives/pots/reagents.

Finally, let every player see the current reward for a village by mousing over it. Showing up to a village and finding out it only pays 140 gp kind of sucks.

This gives players incentive to make their villages peaceful places that people want to go to shop, whilst also giving people reason to frequent them (to try and gank shoppers).

Finally, make the stones regenerate much faster. Maybe take 2 minutes to go from 1% to 100% after 1 minute of taking no damage. Give some sort of visual indicator of who will capture if it's destroyed at any given time, and make all the damage first-in-first-out. ie if Clan A does 500 damage, then clan B does 500 damage, when the stone starts to regenerate clan A's damage will be removed first.

There's really no reason to complicate village caps and there's definitely no reason to make them take longer. People literally have 8 hours warning of when villages go live. People don't need a 5 minute opportunity to jump someone capping a village. If they really want it they will be there when it goes live.

20. Thellic

Thellic Goblin Warrior
    Hero

You could let Villages have a dual purpose: Raiding and controlling.

Raiding would let you sack and loot the village, similar to recieving initial loot when capturing a village with the current system while controlling would be more like subjugating the village and, again, work similar to current system recieving taxes but no initial loot. Both systems having separate timers ofcourse, with raiding timer being much lower to encourage seeking them out. Controlling could later be tied together with the TC-system to give bonuses to clan/alliance or help the owners in other ways.

Although it doesn't necessarly need to be VCP's, I would like to see atleast one system that is a bit more "instant" PvP or at the very least something you can see is open on the map and just travel there as soon as you log in. Granted, there is nothing stopping you from roaming, visiting someone's holding or going to popular farming spots, but I think it would help a lot of the "there is nothing to do :'("-crowd have something to look for and actually go to, hopefully meaning more 'guaranteed' PvP in the long run.