Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Discussion: Open letter to the community

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Andrew, Oct 26, 2018.

1. quietnoobz

quietnoobz Infernal

Stop making me drool at the thought of vanilla darkfall combat. They've tainted it too much regarding item changes and durability and enchants. Current changes seem good maybe buff infernal/Dragon slightly. Also
    Is there really agon pumpkin pie now or was that a metaphor?

2. Squanto

Squanto Chosen of Khamset
    Legend

So far the only thing that has actually come out of that was buff others being re-added (which is good, but a very very small change). I am still sceptical that the rest of those things will ever get implemented. Looking forward to them, but not holding my breath. For 4 hours of interaction we didn't get much done imo, also the biggest topic on that q&a was combat and we got absolutely nowhere. Just my opinion.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  3. aparks

aparks Obsidian Golem
    Legend

I’m in the middle of the road. I love that darkfall was reborn after the shit show that UW was.

But when this project started we had the assumption that it was going to be a community built game. That things would be voted on before worked on. We are now finally to that point but damage has been done.

I appreciate all the man hours our devs put into this game and the cost just for running a huge server I’m sure is astronomical when compared to number of active players.

With all that said one thing has always remained constant. Everyone that plays df has always wanted MORE CONTENT and for combat to be left alone. Now most people are pushing for combat to be changed back to last spring. I argue that combat actually needs to be reverted to alpha state when you guys first got the game. Which was original df vanilla combat. The only changes than I’d argue is to allow jump shots and water shots on bows without having to select the perk and lose mana. And allow jump shot on every spell automatically without need to upgrade each spell individually. Which was in Eu df build pre na.

Lastly the game will eventually need atleast a soft wipe of banks/holdings. Maybe keeping toons and definitely keeping houses since they cost everyone their souls to build.

EDITED:
    I forgot to mention most of us always wanted the unused spells and skills removed or buffed or changed completely. So when it comes to combat changes I think devs should have started there. Instead they started by changing the most used spells and skills which than leads to a domino effect of mini patches of fixing issues. Where as we can all agree no one uses spells like “light” that could easily have been changed into flash bang Ray that blinds your enemy like a confusion but you need to land the spell in a target. So many more spells that are unused that can be made great again.

Another large issue no one mentions anymore is the removal of weapons and armors from mobs. This made people go out into the world and farm and made for soo many pvp hotspots. I understand people wanted to make economy better but than you guys made getting rare ores too easy which fucked the economy even worse. Those weapons and armor weren’t even over powered. They were just used to a roach sieges or suicide into enemy holdings to add more pvp to the game.

I wish when you guys at bpg had me aNd several others helping out would have kept us as testers and game design instead you let dest Locke scare everyone away. There are soo many things that need to be reverted that is beyond this summer combat patching fiasco.

#23 aparks, Oct 26, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
    DeadlyHit likes this.
  4. NonFactor

NonFactor Fire Giant
    Affluent Legend

its better, but far from 95% reverted.

5. Korag

Korag Forest Golem
    Hero

I don't wanna sound rude or disrespectful but here it goes.
    I have been excited about many things you have talked about in the past and almost none of them have happened this entire time. You guys added stuff that really didn't help the game at all while also adding many things that actually hurt the game and then you back peddle and revert so much of what you did change. It feels like out of a 2 year period 1.5 years of it have been reverted/bad ideas.

I really want the game to succeed and to resub and start playing again but my confidence is very low in this company at the moment and especially in one of your devs that has very little self control and professionalism he just should be proof read and or scripted before allowed to post.

Point is. As much as I would like to get excited it is super hard to do as most of this time has been met with great disappointment.

You guys said you had the means to add recipe's of already in game mobbed dropped armor that could then be crafted with player crafted quality. Doesn't maybe sound like a lot but that idea excited me as it gave a solid reason for normal players to farm, giving even more reasons to get out in the world and check pve locations. Do not member exactly when you guys put out that this could be done but I think it was a year or close to a year ago and yet it still hasn't happened. I get your trying to make new armor and at the time lacked someone and or the knowledge of how to add new animations etc. but the armors you said you could do that were already in game with animations..could have been added.

For me to get excited again, I am going to have to see something actually completed. Even the alignment is still broke after all this time and without factions added to replace the removal of race wars which you guys said would be completed well before now.

Your going to have to win people over again, cause as much as I like this game you guys have just failed massively.

#25 Korag, Oct 26, 2018
  6. SinSemilla

SinSemilla Stormgraive
    Tester

Since beta there has been ONE point the game felt as good as it did in beta. That was one day before the combat change announcement.

So many SIMPLE adjustments to improve the game content that have not been touched at all.

I am normally extremely optimistic but, everything has piled up so much that I have lost all hope.

Not to sound like a know it all but, I guarantee if this was my job I could have this game population through the roof.

--- Post updated ---
    Regarding the community voting that happened a coupe weeks ago.

I would like to know how many people didn't even know there was voting for these items. I sure didn't and am disappointed I did.

The reason I have not played the game in four months is because of the problems the game has. Then I see the post stating you're choices on development are based on these votes?

Many people would probably come back if they seen their votes are being addressed.

I recommend re-doing the development votes and sending an email to account holders that are inactive. Just my shitty two cents.

@Andrew @MWTaylor @kilrain

Hope everything turns around for the better for the game. <3 <3

Back to UO <3 <3

Scrubby Bear, Oresmacker and Squanto like this.
  7. Featherbeans

Featherbeans Ghost
    Hero

I just don't get why you reintroduce ironskin and not stoneskin.
    Same for elemental protection self buffs.
    Makes no sense.
    Two players attack a solo and the solo guy can't even stoneskin when both of the attackers can be buffed out of their mind...

But anyway, it's your iteration of the game, BPG. Just don't let YOUR DF legacy tar AV's one. That would be bad. v bad achievement.

#27 Featherbeans, Oct 26, 2018
  8. kinglear

kinglear Frostjarl

I want to state that personally, I believe combat is in a good state right now. I agree 100% with myater in that I would've preferred them not change it but I like the way it is now. I believe that it requires more skill than it did previously, and people that used to be good when they could melee for 65 in the back are upset thats changed now.

I personally believe BPG did a good job with their most recent change. Destroyer is no longer an assassin class, it's a class that actually requires a brain for the modern way of playing. You are tankier but sacrificed some damage with the changes BPG made, which imo was something that needed to happen.

The only things I would like to see done would be to reduce eye rot CD down to ~45 seconds, revert pungent nerfs (maybe make its cd a little longer than it was) and maybe up back damage a little bit. I'd also like to see human get an actual racial. Other than that, I believe this is the healthiest the combat has been since pre-change, and players who were one trick melee monkey retards can't really handle losing their ability to win a fight off 3 back swings, or dagger cheese, etc.

9. GrimReapiN

GrimReapiN Chosen of Khamset
    Contributor

@Andrew

"I(Andrew, your friendly neighborhood CEO of Big Picture Games) take full blame for the issues and complaints related to the method and content of the combat related changes we did this summer."

It takes a lot to do this.
    Thank-you.

Also,

"Prototypes of the TCS components will go on the test server once we are closer to completion as they are still too raw for public testing, this will take another week or two before the players get to test the initial prototype likely. "

Anything that is "Too raw"

Anything that is "piecemeaL'

should be placed on the test server, and left.

You should fucking DESTROY the test server with retarded, broken, piece by piece patches of what you have done so far.

When you have something done, immediately place it on the test server!

This way, anyone who is hungry for a patch, can go and try it on the real server.

When you have everything you want for a "live server patch", you will have every piece tested along the way. I bet you $1000 that you will have players finding wierd ass bugs, AND you will receive a big picture view of the patch as a whole much more clearly because each piece of the larger patch will have been looked at piece by piece. You will see how each piece affects the game on its own. I'm rambling.

#29 GrimReapiN, Oct 26, 2018
  10. Zeb

Zeb Infernal
    Wealthy Hero

This week or two shit has to stop, need to stop saying you actually have anything, until you actually have something to show people. Setting expectations and then meeting them is so important for any business and it should 100% be for such a small team... dont let these losers slack off they one hundred percent will slack off and work on random shit rather than focusing and meeting a deadline.. you know it's true. How much is a feature like tcs actually worth in dollars? Because its been a year bro

Scrubby Bear, Animal, Blaze and 4 others like this.
  11. Featherbeans

Featherbeans Ghost
    Hero

TCS...

Forever bugs (features like we call them) like the staff double jump - were never fixed.
    Crouching in tight places letting you see through geometry. Like inside dungeons. Never fixed.
    Not even minor things like raining inside dungeons.

You introduced Champions droping 120 stat pots which at the end is more or less a stat grind gating mechanism...

And you still mess with combat...

12. Bound

Bound Project Manager
    Staff Member

Dev time? Probably Tens of thousands.

13. Animal

Animal Obsidian Golem
    Hero

Key word: Pre-change. The combat is still mangled and I can show anyone that doesn't agree.

I love playing heavy, but holy shit is it too easy to play now. You're literally a tank and bad decisions have little to no bearing on the final outcome of the fight. Mages are fighting their own stats more than the player they're against. lol

P.s: You do realize daggers are the same, right? It's the player that decides how good daggers can be - not the actual damage. The real threat is how quickly it swings because it forces you to react quicker than 180 jousting in melee. It's pure tracking.

Scrubby Bear and Featherbeans like this.
  14. Zeb

Zeb Infernal
    Wealthy Hero

[​IMG]

15. Animal

Animal Obsidian Golem
    Hero

I'm fucking dead. :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

16. Bound

Bound Project Manager
    Staff Member

lol thats what happens when you try to fix animations :p

viniciusdel and Korag like this.
  17. Featherbeans

Featherbeans Ghost
    Hero

Even if you sum up the WORKING time of all the staff members i really doubt about dat dev time - even if i understand you tossed it out for fun and as a way of speaking.

According to the Gregorian Calendar, in a Common Year (365 days) there are 8760 hours.

(probably not) Tens of thousands of dev time.

Sero likes this.
  18. WithoutShame

WithoutShame Air Elemental
    Supporter

Pretty sure "TCS" or TCS like features were announced over a year ago, so yea 10k+ hours does seem like how long it has taken.

19. Kantor

Kantor Varangian Warthane
    Prosperous Contributor Legend

Reason i'm playing destro. SB and hold left click GG lol

20. Scrapnotcrap

Scrapnotcrap Obsidian Golem
    Hero

That's what i feared. I don't wanna login only to lose the rest of my bags against heavies. They already were hard enough and now, they got buffed.

Heavies have constantly been buffed since the very start of roa.