Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Discussion: Patch Notes - April 2nd, 2017

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MWTaylor, Apr 2, 2017.

1. Neilk

Neilk Web Development & System Admin
    Staff Member Team Lead

Let's stop being ignorant here. The servers cost much more than 800 euro per month. Also the people that went to the convention paid out of their own pocket.
    --- Post updated ---
    Let's also stop being ignorant here. I'm not sure if you are new to programming but exceptions are literally something you learn in your first week of study. It's quite rude and ignorant of you to post a link like that and it makes you look terrible.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  2. Mc Nasty

Mc Nasty Obsidian Golem
    Legend

I mean why come on a forum of s game you done intend to play? Is your life that pathetic?

I think we all can agree that we hoped more would of been accomplished during beta. Bpg says things are going to change a lot at launch which is eerily similar to what av would say. Regardless you can either get on board and make launch as successful as possible or sit on the sidelines crying.

This is the last shot we got so everyone should be onboard 100%. Everyone else should go play something else and stop wasting time on the forums of a game they don't play.

3. MWTaylor

MWTaylor Community Manager
    Staff Member BPG Representative Game Designer

We have way more expenses than 800 Euro a month, and that is with not a single one of us getting paid.

As for your comments on the convention, I paid for my own airfare, room and board out of my own pocket as did Brad so that we could avoid pulling funds from our budget. Many members on the team have done this throughout the last year - paying for things out of their own pocket so it does not hit our budget.

And the total cost of the convention and all of the giveaways? Less than what you falsely assumed our servers cost per month. Both Brad and I considered the convention to be very much worth it seeing how many people showed up to our booth (we got over 250 contacts but more than that showed up to our table), including a bunch of Darkfall Online players who were unfamiliar with Darkfall: Rise of Agon and who are now planning on bringing their old clans to launch.

4. Nooblet

Nooblet Goblin Shaman
    Legend

Calling your customers ignorant also makes you look terrible. You are representing a company. You should never result to trashing your customers in public view unless you wish to lose them.

Just want you guys to successful!

NonFactor, Bonii and Circa like this.
  5. Owyn Magnus

Owyn Magnus Varangian Warthane

How do you afford to buy all of those pearls you are clutching?
    --- Post updated ---
    So much clutching, so few pearls

Dixie Normus and Bartlebe like this.
  6. Sorrow Avaritia

Sorrow Avaritia Obsidian Golem
    Hero

How on earth has a hard core game like Darkfall got such a pansy arse sensitive community, do you also go crying to mummy any time some kills and loots you?

Dixie Normus and Bartlebe like this.
  7. Nooblet

Nooblet Goblin Shaman
    Legend

It's not about the pansy community it's about building a community with new players. I for one would not join a community where devs are trashing players on the forums publicly. Sorry to me that is a terrible business practice.

NonFactor, Hook and Circa like this.
  8. Sorrow Avaritia

Sorrow Avaritia Obsidian Golem
    Hero

The guy has a point though, he was just generally being a dick and a know it all, I have done some coding myself, not enough to really do anything with it, however enough to know that there is a lot more to it than people presume. I felt like the more code I knew, the less it seemed like I knew lol.

kilrain likes this.
  9. Nooblet

Nooblet Goblin Shaman
    Legend

Oh I'm not saying that he wasn't or was I just want the devs to not get in stupid arguments that could hurt new player perspective on the company. We need as many bodies for launch to have a real shot.

10. kilrain

kilrain Shadow Knight
    Staff Member Developer Team Lead

Come on, you could at the very least provide proof of all your claims. Where did we say any of the things you're talking about?

Oh and ...
    I can tell you haven't been playing.
    --- Post updated ---
    Most of the time as individuals begin to learn more the realization of how little we all really know grows exponentially. If there's anything I've learned in my many, many years of programming it's impossible to know what's going on without seeing code. If you visit a site like Stack Overflow you'll frequently see people asking questions and posting a bit of code only to have people ask for more because it still wasn't enough to really know what's going on.

Wes Furtive likes this.
  11. MWTaylor

MWTaylor Community Manager
    Staff Member BPG Representative Game Designer

I understand your point, but it also can go both ways. New players coming to the forums seeing false information spread around and/or constant negativity from certain individuals is more detrimental in my mind than a developer correcting someone. I as a gamer have always had respect for indie developers who stand up for themselves, even more so now that I am on that side of the fence, and I've actually purchased games on Steam that I never ended up playing just to support development teams like that (yes, I am a little weird sometimes :smiley:).

12. dragula

dragula Gravelord
    Legend

Geez...sometimes this community can't get out of it's own way.

13. Bartlebe

Bartlebe Chosen of Khamset
    Loyal Patron Legend

The classic situation of a small, angry minority making the most noise can do damage to the public perception of a small upstart like this. This likely wont change anyone's behavior though, unfortunately. Some people like complaining and the attention they get from it so much they just can't give it up. Even if it sinks the boat they're screaming on.

DarkGhost25 likes this.
  14. DestLocke

DestLocke Chosen of Khamset
    Legend

Hah. The passion is greatly appreciated, even if misguided and misdirected at times. It's tough, we understand the struggle, trust me, you all have no idea, we understand it more than anyone. All we can do is mitigate and keep forging forward.

15. BeatIt

BeatIt Obsidian Golem
    Loyal Legend

we can agree on that

this is the only good pvp full loot open world game left.

Mc Nasty, Circa and Battle Smurf like this.
  16. Andrew

Andrew Obsidian Golem
    Staff Member BPG Representative

800/month barely covers our test environment my friend, our server hosting costs are several times more than that. The convention costs were actually very very low it barely hit 4 digits. Michael and Brad were nearby and covered their own expenses to get to the show. We're not throwing money around by any means, we run an extremely tight ship. We picked up a new team member at the show as well, he's been helping with SEO and a new website design that will be revealed soon.

Just wanted to address these points if there's a perception that we "threw down cash" on a conference. We went that conference on a shoestring budget, we always look for ways to be efficient with the funds we have.

About the other points, the revamped tutorial gets them the basic controls and a task system will be coming in to give goals to work towards. There is also an achievement system that will give players goals to complete that want them. We will be updating the map to give more information to users however it's not going to make it in pre-launch.

-Andrew

17. Sintan

Sintan Black Knight
    Affluent Legend

Make the first thing the tutorial says be "Press ESC to toggle GUI" It's like the third thing it says currently and I think you load in in GUI mode.

The most common question I see asked in New Player Chat is always "Why can't I move?"

#417 Sintan, Apr 5, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  18. kilrain

kilrain Shadow Knight
    Staff Member Developer Team Lead

I changed it so you load in action mode, that's why it is like that.

Wes Furtive, Fengor, Knar and 2 others like this.
  19. Hook

Hook Celestial
    Legend

There is a difference between a dev correcting someone that doesn't know what they are talking about/spreading false info, and just coming off sounding cocky and arrogant, which has happened a few times from different members on your staff.

Granted you where all one time players, But now you a company taking peoples money for a good/service and you have to take the high road and not do that. Take the high road, sure it can be hard sometime but if you keep doing it people will stop paying you their money.

20. Super Star

Super Star Oak Lord
    Legend

If you want a company response, you are looking for a copy paste company response which is a whole lot of nothing. If you want a real response, you get a real response.

#420 Super Star, Apr 5, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
    Aristos Giannes and Wes Furtive like this.