Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Discussion: Patch Notes - February 15th, 2019

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Neilk, Feb 15, 2019.

1. Sero

Sero Gnoll Vilegaunt
    Loyal Legend

Yea. I really don't understand what these guys are on about. Your free model seems extremely generous to me.

As a freemium player who enjoys the game, the first thing I look to do is purchase a GTT. Nothing you have done hinders that capability except for maybe the Marketplace, but that's not a big deal considering you can fill buy orders to make money when your intital 5 are placed.

Your fremium model doesn't cut out content from anyone except for mastery crafting. Which is a lot less than what some games like.... Runescape for instance, do to their free players. Literally 90% of that content is locked behind the paygate and OSRS is rocking like 100k players.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    #141 Sero, Feb 18, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  2. lee-5709

lee-5709 New Member

Where did you read this?

3. Todd of Hartford

Todd of Hartford Goblin Warlord
    Legend

I have a premium account (I was charged for it last month, I checked) and I'M limited to only 5 sell orders. Sent a gm help in-game, heard nothing in response.

But even had I a non-premium account, the 5 sell orders is stupid. I've been trying to work with it for the last few days and it's absolutely crippling.

AND, for the record, it's not 5 sell orders total. It's five individual items total. For example, I can't sell 5 orders of 5 neithal keys a piece. I can only sell 5 neithal keys. That's wayyyyyyyyy too little

EDIT: This has now been fixed. Must have been a bug

#143 Todd of Hartford, Feb 18, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  4. Volfen

Volfen Infernal
    Loyal Legend

Official discord (if you aren't aware, discord is a better source of information than the forums).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#144 Volfen, Feb 18, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  5. Wizard of Yndor

Wizard of Yndor Deadeye

I have been away for a long while, but I'm glad to see that BPG is still working on RoA. Great job on keeping this old classic going!

I see that BPG is still moving towards a freemium model, which is great. But I feel that it's about a year, or more past due, and still lacking a solid foundation for how, and why this freemium model is supposed to work, and what it must accomplish.

MMORPG competition does not sit idle, and this game has more, (and newer) competition than ever before. The F2P model needs to make this game competitive enough to draw, and retain population. A high in game, live population should be this game's primary goal. Low population has always been one of the main reasons that all of the DF titles have struggled. It's past time to end that.
    Here are some of my opinions about the proposed F2P model.

1. I believe that the model should revolve heavily around incentives for regular/vet players to want to purchase services, premium accounts, or special items. Not around penalties for not being on a premium account.

2. Pay to win reward/restriction mechanics should be avoided. If a real need exists for some type of P2WIN mechanic to even be considered, then it should be as a very minor, and indirect sort of P2WIN. Again, I emphasize that P2WIN should be avoided.

3. The primary goal for F2P must be firmly aimed at gaining player population. Population FIRST! You can always add ways to make money off of a games population at a later time- but first, you need population!

4. One last thing: POPULATION GAIN MUST BE **THE PRIMARY** GOAL OF ANY FREEMIUM ENDEAVORS!

My musings on specific proposals in this color.

• Restrictions are as follows:
      • 3 times slower leveling speed on crafting and combat skills
      • No. This is a major turn off for players who are thinking of trying this game. You can play, but you have to suffer with slower skill gains while trying to learn the game, and getting pwnd by vets with better developed characters. Nobody wants to do that in a full PvP environment.
      • Perhaps keeping the leveling slower on the crafting skills only would be acceptable as it could limit economic competition from F2P gold farmer accounts.
      • Cannot own a home
      • Change this to "cannot acquire" a home. If a player buys a premium account, then gets a house, they should be allowed to keep it.
      • But I agree that F2P accounts should not be allowed to horde a finite resource like housing without at least spending some money on the game.
      • Cannot rank higher than Lieutenant
      • Cannot create a clan
      • No. We want F2P players to feel like a part of the community, and encourage their friends to join. I see no good reason for preventing them from having their own clans.
      • However, I think F2P clans should have limitations on war declarations, owning holdings, and also restrictions on asset destruction.
      • Asset destruction from a F2P player should have a limit of 1/4 normal damage (or something like that) against holdings. The reson for this is to prevent abuse by F2P troll/alt players using F2P accounts to harass regular players.
      • No multipliers for harvesting, single resource per hit, including with clan nodes
      • No comment, as I am unfamiliar with the current drop rates of resources. But I would think that placing this kind of limit would be better applied to only the higher end resources, and not the basic resources.

• Bank space limited to 500 items
      • Seems perfectly reasonable. Reduces server overhead.
      • Cannot craft mastery level items
      • Seems good. Protects the economy from F2P item spam.
      • 20 buy/sell limit for orders on the market
      • Seems good. Protects the economy from F2P item spam. Perhaps tweak the numbers a bit.
      • 200k maximum meditation points and meditates 3 times
      • slower
      • No. A significant percentage of players who engage in F2P gaming do so because of limited time for gaming. It's very hard to justify a subscription cost when one can only play a few hours per month- if that. Don't screw those people over like this. Let their characters skill up while they are away, and keep your population wanting to return.
      • Lower carrying capacity, 100 kg less than Premium
      • This is ok. It helps limit F2P scroachers, and inconveniences gold sellers, without affecting combat, and exploration much.
      • Equipment tier capped at Tier 3 for loot rolls
      • Fair. If F2P players want the good loot, trade/buy it from other players, and help the economy. Or attack other players for the loot, and help populate the PvP.

Other thoughts.

-Limitations on fast travel. Nothing too drastic, just enough to get the F2P players walking around in the world more, and improve the open world population. Allow them to still be able to fast travel, just not as often as full accounts.

Post is getting long winded, so I will stop here for now...

6. Quin Tessence

Quin Tessence Black Knight
    Legend

Freemium Feedback From a Former RoA Player

3 times slower leveling speed on crafting and combat skills - Too easy to level things, this actually makes the game more fun

Cannot own a home - How about pay taxes on houses, with the new house system your houses and stuff should get packed up when they expire (Premium members shouldn't pay taxes)

Cannot rank higher than Lieutenant - Needs to be lower like Recruit, because Lieutenant is the max rank most Clans will hand out to randoms

Cannot create a clan - Good Logic

No multipliers for harvesting, single resource per hit, including with clan nodes. - No resources on clan nodes, just have reduced resources on everything else. A tree that would give you 40 wood would then give you 20. If you make it just hand out 1 resource it would make the harvest time jump to like 10 min and everyone would bot the hell out of it.

Bank space limited to 500 items. This only hurts people who have been playing a very long time, all bank space on new characters should be limited to around 200 and bank inventory tokens should be rare drops on weaker mobs that increase the capacity by 15-25 until its maxed at 2000 or whatever.

Cannot craft mastery level items. This is fine, but most new players have this stuff handed to them for free so make Mastery level items degrade 20% faster if you want to have a real penalty that isn't too broken

20 buy/sell limit for orders on the market. You shouldn't put a buy limit on new players, and allowing them to selling anything would be stupid

200k maximum meditation points and meditates 3 times slower.
    No cap on points, remove the ability to convert gold and only award it with Quests, Villages, and Rare mobs, and chaos chests.

Add some freaking skills that can cast "spells" only at 100 to spawn in resource crates and reset after casting so that max characters can use meditation points.

Add skills that you can only get by owning a city/hamlet in an area randomly spawn items in your backpack every 25 levels and reset at 100.
    (Like "Mar Shral Mines")

Lower carrying capacity, 100 kg less than Premium
    I get that this would be a great idea to get people to buy a sub, but it also pisses too many people off in practice.
    Its possible to just bag everything up and toss it on the ground right now so this is a waste of your time.
    Adding an increasing Stamina drain to characters who haven't eaten anything in a while who are free would help the economy grow, prompt getting a sub, and create a layer of role playing immersion.

Equipment tier capped at Tier 3 for loot rolls
    This one is good, but the gear is too ambiguous, the original design said it would effect all loot drops from monsters but only seems to be turned on for villages. This encourages free players to not risk higher level gear making them easier to kill good on those points too.

Would like to know if the game design was going to include loot protection that was talked about months ago.
    Like blue players in Lawful area don't drop paper doll loot?

With an increase in population more time tokens will be sold dropping their value again and allowing anyone to basically play for free. This is why you don't want free players able to trade or sell tokens because its easy to charge hundreds of dollars and do a charge back or just get a fake credit card to move items around the market.

The moment this game is free to play if that information gets advertised to the right people you can expect to see the population pick up into the thousands for a short time. Hope BPG has Customer Support for when that happens.

--- Post updated ---
    lmao, your post is like 100% opposite on all my points and I love it!
    Makes it so damn confusing for developers to "know" whats to do.

The truth is either my post or your post would work, but not both.
    Would be interesting to know what you think on my points above and if any might change your mind.

I also agree that Fast Travel like runes, Runebooks should be limited.
    Add a meditation cost for opening a Rune book or something

Would also be nice if every rune book had a "Go to Party Leader" option

7. Wizard of Yndor

Wizard of Yndor Deadeye

I like some of your suggestions.

I think your idea for simply limiting the quantity of resources that a F2P player can get from a node is a much better idea than slowing the drop rate.
    -It forces the F2P players to have to move around in the world more. This promotes a more active population, and gives the appearance of a more vibrant community. Good optics for potential customers to see. And more opportunities for player interactions.

The only downside I see to doing that is that F2P accounts would empty more nodes faster than standard account players, and could easily put std. account players at a disadvantage. To compensate for this, I would apply a different node refresh timer based on whether a node was emptied by a F2P account, or a premium acct.

Bank space limits can start small, and size can be increased through store purchases, premium account, and also as rare drop, and/or quest rewards in game.

I think that your item degradation suggestion is an excellent idea. F2P account items simply wear out faster. This makes the F2P players have to support the economy more, or hunt/gather (be active) more. Good!

Item pack weight limits can be handled like bank space. Start small, and can grow through store purchase, premium account, or rare/quest in game drops.

Using food durations as a motivation for getting premium account is another good idea, as long as it's not too much of a pain in the ass for F2P to stay fed, and it doesn't turn into a P2win deal.

Most of your other points are ok. The big difference I see is with the idea of skill leveling, which I already explained my reasoning for wanting to keep it equal- it just comes off as too much of a direct pay2win type incentive, especially for players unfamiliar with the game.

Generally speaking, I like the idea of giving the F2P players a lot of freedoms, zero (or minimal) pay2win incentives, and very little QoL annoyance mechanics, in exchange for their active participation in the game. Population is the main goal. Get the people first, and the money will come.

Quin Tessence and Thrill Kill like this.
  8. Thrill Kill

Thrill Kill Goblin Shaman
    Supporter

Very well said.

For giggles, I consolidated my bank as much as possible last night and it sits at 971 at the moment, everything that is stackable is stacked. I would put forward that a bank of 750 rather than 500 would be preferable. Mind you I am not a new player, but nor am I a try hard play all day sort with a huge bank, I am more in the middle.

The most difficult option for me to work around is the carrying capacity. It makes sense to help avoid a siege stone carrier in a way, but really does being overburdened even affect a character being used this way? I don't think so, in fact, it feels to me that it just hinders the flow of play for a newer player.

9. Quin Tessence

Quin Tessence Black Knight
    Legend

Figured Id offer more feedback on the actual patch notes since getting positive feedback is worth more then a pay check to BPG.

PvE
    • A total of 11 new monsters have been added to the game (Good Job)
    • Several existing monsters have had their difficulty increased (Good Job)
    • A total of 75 monster spawns have been adjusted, many of them for the new monsters 75 out of ???
    • ( Keep track of all the spawns you change vs how many you have left and it will both look like your working harder and feel like your making way more progress )
    • All of the Q4/Q5 enchanting materials have been moved around to different monsters (This change is worthy of its own patch)
    • Each subcontinent and center map will now have 8 different high quality enchanting materials in addition to having 4 different rare resources (Wasn't this suppose to be a TCA change, is that expansion still in the works?)
    Items
    • Cotton and Rawhide have been added to the game (I can finally upgrade my pantsu to cotton!)
    • New rare resources for Cotton/Cloth, Rawhide/Leather, and Timber/Wood have been added to the game. (Good Job)
    • Map Fragments have been added to nearly all monsters, and sea life and pirate based monsters have increased drop rates due to their difficulty. (This is actually one of the coolest changes in the entire patch)
    • All new items have been added to existing content in the game such as trade routes, villages, chaos chests, maps, and appropriate loot tables (ex: Rawhide) (Good Job)
    Crafting
    • The Tanning Skill which is used to refine Rawhide into Leather has been added (Will this skill make my skin darker too?)
    • The Weaving Skill which is used to refine Cotton into Cloth has been added (Good job)
    • Players can now craft treasure maps with Map Fragments using the Scribing Skill (Best Change, makes farming stuff more worthwhile)
    Tailoring Mastery and “another” crafting skill will be introduced in the near future

General
    • Many NPC shops have been adjusted to help improve the new player experience (No idea what this means)
    • Added party kick functionality which only works for party founder (Quality of Life change of the year)
    • Super Fun Hulks with increased protection added to be used by GM for events such as capture the flag, etc
    • How did you guys not get completely shit on by the community for bringing back Brads Fun Hulks?
    • Fixed a bug with Journal showing incorrect times for meditating (Thought XML Journal was getting removed from game)
    • Fixed a damage bug causing irregularities with certain protections
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Overall the Patch looks a lot better then I thought. My biggest issue was all the people still complaining about not getting a combat revert still after so many months. @Andrew went out of his way to state that no revert was going to happen because the data they collected looked more like people just wanted a few tweaks.

Guy posts this and goes underground for 30 days. Might as well be his wife nagging him to take out the trash because he probably uses the same moves on her, but I digress this patch is the kind of stuff I like to see when I check back every 30 or 40 days to see if things are coming together.

10. Volfen

Volfen Infernal
    Loyal Legend

• A total of 11 new monsters have been added to the game
    • Several existing monsters have had their difficulty increased
    • A total of 75 monster spawns have been adjusted, many of them for the new monsters
    • All of the Q4/Q5 enchanting materials have been moved around to different monsters
    • Each subcontinent and center map will now have 8 different high quality enchanting materials in addition to having 4 different rare resources
    Nice set of changes overall. Hard to say how good or bad the new loot tables are until we know what the new stuff is used for. Regionalization is good as a concept. The one thing I think would have been nice is to have at least a palette swap for the new mobs if that's doable. We all would love new models and all that, but that's most likely a lot of work that might be best spent elsewhere (like models for the new TCS stuff).

Not sold on the fact that several new spawns are a spawn of 1 mob (scaling to 2). Difficulty is alright for the ones I've checked.

• Map Fragments have been added to nearly all monsters, and sea life and pirate based monsters have increased drop rates due to their difficulty
    • Players can now craft treasure maps with Map Fragments using the Scribing Skill
    If I'm not mistaken you need specific fragments to craft each tier of map... it may not make a whole lot of sense from a realism point of view, but being able to combine varying amounts of whatever fragment to make the better maps would be more rewarding as a game mechanic. Unless they got a massive loot buff, small maps are a waste of time for example. Nice concept but iffy implementation.

• The Tanning Skill which is used to refine Rawhide into Leather has been added
    • The Weaving Skill which is used to refine Cotton into Cloth has been added
    Cool stuff. Is it intended for them to be unavailable as a remote craft?

• Bug fixes/party kick
    QoL is never a bad thing.

Nat and Billy Lee like this.