Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Discussion: Patch Notes - July 15th, 2017

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MWTaylor, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Rimamok

Rimamok Spellgazer
    Legend

Hm, thanks Bear. Although I disagree and this will have unintended consequences, I at least appreciate understanding some of the reasoning.

In my experience, Casual players who are short on time never care about holdings. I'm talking about Casuals who have lots of time but aren't PVP-focused. I have met a HUGE number of these people. It used to be that they would spend a week working hard like good little Worker Bees to build up a holding, and then be disillusioned by Darkfall when they lost all their hard work in 2 hours. Now they lose all their hard work in what, 1 hour?

I feel so strongly that, for the health of the pop, holdings transfers should not -ONLY- be about your ability to win a single short fight, but also your ability to gather/govern/maintain resources. Otherwise the elite clans own a ton of empty holdings. It was seriously one of DFO's single greatest problems keeping away casuals. And now it's....worse? Unless I'm seriously missing something.

Mea Kulpa likes this.
  2. Nat

Nat Shadow Knight
    Legend

The siege change might actually result in defenders holding out instead of feeling forced to be the attackers. Good change, can't wait to see how it plays out.

Fengor likes this.
  3. RootedOak

RootedOak Oak Lord
    Legend

It basically nerfs the attacking side if that's what you're concerned about.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    Fengor likes this.
  4. Frog

Frog Black Knight
    Loyal Hero

Yes you're missing something, casuals who don't have a lot of time to commit will actually be able to have fun at sieges instead of waiting around for 3 hours and then losing when they are unprepared. Not sure how many sieges you've been part of but there is always a slow loss of players during the waiting around phase for several reasons:

1. People get bored and decide to log.
    2. Real life requires their attention.
    3. They die and don't have any more siege bags to regear with.

These are the main reasons that people don't wait around for the entire siege and casual players are at a disadvantage in each aspect. Hardcore players don't get bored as easily when they have a task in mind, they are more devoted to playing darkfall than casual players and typically don't have to log for RL stuff and finally when they die they have larger banks and don't mind regearing and coming back.

With a shorter time the casual defending force is actually able to keep all of their players online and will have a chance to defend and win.

Your main point is that losing your holding in 1.5 hours versus 3 hours is far worse, but isn't this amount of time kind of negligible? It's only 1.5 hours difference, I'm pretty sure you're going to be upset at losing your holding whether it's 1.5 hours or 3 and i'm also pretty sure you're going to be more upset that you lost a war of attrition to players who are willing to no-life it.

5. WithoutShame

WithoutShame Celestial
    Supporter

Good patch in general, lots of good fixes. Just...

1. The problem with mounts is sprint being Overpowered in combat/running from combat. Lowering mount health doesn't fix that.
    2. Purple alignment? I just can't comprehend why BPG is so set on this thing when just about everyone in the community is telling them no..

6. Dartemiss

Dartemiss Air Elemental
    Legend

Good call on the mount nerf.

What stood out to me is the Siege timer fix. Long time coming and a good first start. Why not eliminate the Two Phase siege altogether though?

Proposed System
    -Make it so that the Siege Stones and the City become vulnerable in the same Phase for a single 2 hour window, 22 Hours after a siege has been layed.

-Walls prerequisite should not cancel the siege before timer begins. The bindstone simply shouldn't take damage until sufficient walls have been downed before the siege ends.

-Buff Small Siege Stones HP or allow for Two Small Siege Stones per hamlet per clan that is challenging.

-Increase ability to Permanently Destroy a Structure from 1 Building to 3 per siege.

-Increase Wager Costs

This is a simplified and more streamlined version of the current system that would promote more back and forth fighting for the entire duration of the siege instead of any waiting or standing around.

Additionally. Make holdings have "Deeds" that can be transferred to other clans without having to go through the siege Process. That will make consolidating and organization, holding sales, ect much less tedious.

Dixie Normus and Mea Kulpa like this.
  7. Rimamok

Rimamok Spellgazer
    Legend

Frog, you got my point about the lower siege time, but missed my point about the TYPE of Casuals, possibly because of how I'm using/abusing the word "Casual".

Right now, DFO/ROA holding ownership is 100% about a short burst of player skill, and almost nothing to do with committing a long amount of time to lovingly sink effort into building something up. I think that's just suicide for the pop in an MMO. I hope to fuck that I"m wrong, as I want ROA to prosper. But I think ROA will move even MORE in the direction of making this a game for high-skilled players only.

I'm all for rewarding skill, 110%. But nothing is left in the game for LOW-skill players. The ones who have plenty of time to play, but still suck. There should be SOME advantage for just "putting in time" building up a town, whether you're naturally skilled or not. This pushes the "shitties" out of the game even faster. And those Shitties pay their $15 to help keep the lights on at ROA, same as you.

Dixie Normus and mrW like this.
  8. RootedOak

RootedOak Oak Lord
    Legend

So I've thought about the timer change a lot. There are possible problems.

One issue could be, some hamlets have really bad defensive terrain, so if the defenders can't manage to gain an advantag with the towers and respawning then they will likely lose after one fight.

However for cities, attackers are essentially forced to enter the city. This gives the defenders a huge advantage.

Of course when the attackers leave the siege stones, they become vulnerable to ninja damage.

9. The Cannibal

The Cannibal Akathar

no race change...I guess ill wait for next patch.

10. Frog

Frog Black Knight
    Loyal Hero

players who are casual in terms of their skill are also benefited by a shorter siege timer - they too have smaller banks than more hardcore players because, even though they play a lot, they die frequently and never build up a bank. so regearing after losing a fight is harder for them.

also, when you kill an attacker during a siege they need to return to the city/hamlet from the nearest bindstone with a bank. sometimes that is very close by but sometimes that can be a decent trek (especially with the rarity of runestones). therefore the defenders are given an advantage in terms of numbers, when they kill an attacker it's possible for the siege to be over before that player returns. but when a defender dies they can regear right away.

low-skill players also have poor discipline and do not stay aware/buffed/engaged during long drawn out sieges as well. a longer timer means that the defending force has to stay alert longer, and a more hardcore clan is going to use that time to wait for the defenders to be semi-afk and mount push them to death.

ultimately you're arguing that it sucks to lose your holding in a short amount of time, and with shorter siege timers it's theoretically possible to lose your holding by an hour and a half. what i'm arguing is that with this new siege system that, imo, favors the defenders you are less likely to lose a holding in the first place. that could be wrong, because we are just theorycrafting here, but that's how i believe things will play out.

11. Rimamok

Rimamok Spellgazer
    Legend

Fair points all around. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

12. Quin Tessence

Quin Tessence Black Knight
    Wealthy Legend

Awesome you guys fixed parry..... but what was that cliff note about mounts loosing 100 HP!!! WTF!!!

How about we get a level 25 Mount so we can stop pissing around with the broken Taming skill.

Seriously just add a "Tough Drake Mount" that has 350 HP and is Red at 25 taming for 1 grass and 5 cinder

Rimamok likes this.
  13. Pimptight

Pimptight Obsidian Golem
    Streamer Legend

So my ping is roughly 40 and the que system is making my weapon swaps slower for sure.

You can say it isnt and post a negative comment but it is here is why.

I before this patch could cast a spell and instantly be sword and board parrying i had my timing down to right when the spell released id hit my key. Now even if I hit the hotkey on my timing the new system takes longer than I would myself to do the actions.

Sure it might be minimal and a fraction of a fraction of a miliseccond or someshit but it is noticable for me and very annoying.

I wish people with normal ping who didnt want to use it could shut it off.

Also I keep getting errors and weird bugs like it never even que's my weapon at all or just wont do what the patch and people tell me its should. Maybe its not working so well for people with low ping after all or im just bugged?
    --- Post updated ---

When I get back in game ill screen shot the system message it spams me 10 lines of text every weapon swap saying item move failed or something along those lines

14. Kurist

Kurist Goblin Scout

Not a fan of the Akathar air essence nerf. This kind of thing only hurts new players who haven't had the opportunity to build up like the people who have been playing for 2 months. This game needs to help attract new players, not hurt them.

Slayven likes this.
  15. darksidefloyd

darksidefloyd New Member

After this patch, I keep getting the "Item to transfer could not be locked" bug. After meleeing some mobs for a while, it just gets stuck adn I can't switch weapons or use the weapon or unsheathe it or even rest. Have anyone had a similar experience?

16. Pimptight

Pimptight Obsidian Golem
    Streamer Legend

This damnit

17. darksidefloyd

darksidefloyd New Member

18. Pimptight

Pimptight Obsidian Golem
    Streamer Legend

I agree I got stuck parrying and could not make it stop at all

19. Bloodscar

Bloodscar Cairn Giant
    Legend

Kilrain is looking into the issue currently.

Pimptight likes this.
  20. Pimptight

Pimptight Obsidian Golem
    Streamer Legend

Rimamok, Nat and Bloodscar like this.