Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Discussion: Patch Notes - October 30th, 2016

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MWTaylor, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Hook

Hook Chosen of Khamset
    Legend

lol yea they are, what if they don't know what to spend their points on and waste them doing something stupid that could be easily leveled.

500k wont even get you 2 maxed stats so it just enough to get you on your feet which is good

Circa likes this.
  2. miasMa

miasMa Varangian Warthane
    Legend

If meditation will no longer be a gold sink I don't see any reason for it to stay in the game? Honestly just remove the clunky bandaid fix Aventurine used for new players to be able to "catch" up to the vets faster and fix natural gains to compensate. Am I the only one who feels this way...?

I thought meditation should of been taken out when they first got their hands on the code and made meditation active while online.

3. Lakisuria_Moonglade

Lakisuria_Moonglade Varangian Warthane
    Legend

Yeah, I personally feel the same way i'm just not sure how to really explain it in the end. Stat and skill gains need to be completely balanced on their own without meditation even being a factor. Then maybe meditation can exist as a supplement to those gains. But if meditation is exponentially cheaper and more effective early on than compared to later it does serve as a decent gold sink for vets nearing the end of their characters that may have more than they need.

If meditation stays it definitely needs to stay as it was intended, as a gold sink but needs balanced around stages of a players "Experience."

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    leth1337 likes this.
  4. Volfen

Volfen Infernal
    Loyal Legend

Stat gains from meditation don't seem any faster than before. Was the change intended to be just for harvesting/combat?

5. Towel

Towel Akathar
    Hero

/
    Meditation isn't used to "max" out. It is used to get you to where you "need to be" as a casual. 3 months worth of stats can get you pretty damn far in the 75 trees without even doing a damn thing.

6. MWTaylor

MWTaylor Community Manager
    Staff Member BPG Representative Game Designer

The increased gains were applied to in-game actions, not meditation, so the time it takes to max out a stat in meditation should still be the same.

This is intended, you will notice that higher end mastery Greatswords have a much higher gold cost now than before. This will be the case for the rest of the weapons after we finish up Weaponsmithing.

We have said it a bunch before, but we understand gold is a major issue in game right now with the economy and have many changes coming to address it. If, for example, you're concerned that 500k gold in meditation points or if somehow reagents were no longer a gold sink (do not panic, they will still be :tongueout:) would damage the economy, we are already taking all of that into account.

#106 MWTaylor, Oct 30, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
    Wes Furtive and Dixie Normus like this.
  7. Super Star

Super Star Oak Lord
    Legend

Increased natural gains instead of meditation still doesnt help the player that doesnt play as often. They will get more out of meditation than they will having their small amount of time to play with increased gains.

Oresmacker and Fengor like this.
  8. Hook

Hook Chosen of Khamset
    Legend

that's what i was getting at, that the 500k will get you around the 75 stat's where i start to become viable and can make enough gold on your own to keep farming

9. miasMa

Legend

Sure, but that is only true if the grind is super long for stats and that was the whole reason it was added in the first place. Remove that grind, make it where actively playing increases stats at a really good pace, not a good pace for people who play 8 hours a day but the people who play 15 hours a week.

Edit: Meditation doesn't have to be the mechanic for players who play less. Just give them double experience hour(s) for being logged out for a certain amount of time like all the rest of the games in the world.

10. kilrain

kilrain Shadow Knight
    Staff Member Developer Team Lead

I think you missed the part where I mentioned mob drop revamp. What you loot now may not be what you loot live, or sooner.

Invincible Execution and Fengor like this.
  11. Super Star

Super Star Oak Lord
    Legend

But they cant increase gains to appeal to people that have no time to play, it doesnt make any sense to do that. They can increase gain speeds and have in meditation to help those people, but they cant balance around them.

12. Hook

Hook Chosen of Khamset
    Legend

don't turn this in to UW where the mob drop was shit and it was pointless to farm.

Oresmacker, Magos and Towel like this.
  13. Towel

Towel Akathar
    Hero

I didn't miss it. It just isn't going to be able to be tested before live in any way unless you market another free trial in a different place and a different market or wipe. Something as simple as this could lead to a game breaking economy fall out in the first few months of a server and it would take a very long time to clean it up.

I'll just sit back and watch and see how it goes. I have faith. I will get lynched for this but with the changes you guys are making. a wipe is almost needed to fully test it before launch. A wipe 1 month before live with another free trial would benefit.

And before you throw me out, I say this for the good of the game and not you guys who want to have fun in beta and care about your pixels.

14. miasMa

Legend

Meditation doesn't have to be the mechanic for players who play less. Just give them double experience hour(s) for being logged out for a certain amount of time like all the rest of the games in the world. Why keep in a clunky mechanic that just adds another layer to leveling that a newer player has to learn.
    --- Post updated ---
    A lot of players on these forums wear rose tinted goggles when they think game design. People need to start thinking outside of the box.

Towel likes this.
  15. Super Star

Super Star Oak Lord
    Legend

Meditation, as long as there is med points available and they have something set, is always running no matter what. Even if you gave them say increased gains to compensate that would be for lets say 2h a day based on time logged out. First they would have to go pve for 2h a day to benefit from the increased gains, and on top of that they would have to do it everyday for at least 2h. With meditation they dont. If they dont have time to play on tuesday or wednesday, no problem, meditation is still running. That aspect is difficult to compete with without balancing gains around people that have no time to play.

Hook likes this.
  16. Inkarnation

Inkarnation Frostjarl
    Legend

female ork has slightly more reach than male elf, im confused

17. miasMa

Legend

I've played this game before so I realize how meditation works, just making sure you know that. Also you're making things up about the 2h a day to take advantage of these gains.

They haven't even been implemented so how do you know how they work? Do you think everyone gets 2h hours of bonus experience a day? Usually how it works is that for every 1 hour logged off you'll get x minutes of bonus experience (formula is different for every game). So those that are offline for multiple days or can only play a few hours a day will gain more bonus time than the guys who play 8 hours a day (they will practically get no bonus time).

18. Ford Prefect

Ford Prefect Frostjarl
    Legend

You would not be forced at all, you just would not receive something for SITTING ON YOUR ASS DOING NOTHING. /facepalm.

leth1337 likes this.
  19. Magos

Magos Windlord
    Supporter Contributor

I dont really disagree with your point but think about stuff like 75 Int for archmage. Meditation allows ppl to level something they need but dont necessarily use regularly from normal gameplay. Stuff like that would have to be fixed first before removing meditation IMO.

20. kilrain

kilrain Shadow Knight
    Staff Member Developer Team Lead

Thanks for the faith. It's good to remember that we are not opposed to change and we're also not opposed to changing the decisions we've made, as should be apparent by now. I agree with the possible need for a wipe before live, but we'll see how that goes.

I'm not sure who you are directing this too, but I can't agree more about thinking outside the box. I also wanted to remove meditation, but in the end realize that it provides players that can't put in a lot of time some form of progression. "At least I'm meditating today". I just feel that by having a gold cost on it, especially early on, affects the economy too much for something that doesn't last.

In a game where character progression lasts for years + it's fine because the affect on the economy lasts a long time, even for hard core players. But we're reducing that progression time to a fraction of what it used to be, so the inflation effect that happens when meditation is no longer needed happens MUCH sooner, we're talking month + before we see the effects rather than year+.

Fengor likes this.