Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Discussion - Patch Update 7/12/2019

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kilrain, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Rimamok

Rimamok Spellgazer
    Legend

Having a PvE skill/stat grind completely independent of PvP capability could have saved this game. And as Sameog notes, allowed the PVE Devs full creative license to go wherever they wanted to, without fucking up the PvP that will always be Darkfall’s defining trait.

onslaught and Sameog like this.
  2. Scrapnotcrap

Scrapnotcrap Eodrin
    Loyal Hero

Why you think that? The ppl who left df for the lack of grind in skilling did so because they no longer could keep an advantage over any new players coming from games like cs and such.

But yeah, i would like to see a form a grind that would only work against mobs.

3. Rimamok

Rimamok Spellgazer
    Legend

I agree there were people who loved DFO because their egos were swollen by getting wins due to character advantage. And those same people quit when their advantage was gone. I personally knew several of them.

But overall I would expect the game lost far FAR more players than it gained as a result of this.

4. Leopold Stotch

Leopold Stotch Dire Zombie
    Wealthy Loyal Hero

I think you’re correct in that pvp is what makes the game great. Many new players quit before they can experience this for many reasons, including key binds, simply not being told what to do and getting gear/enchants. You can literally be pvp viable in 6 hours if you know what to do.

What’s nonsense is the thought that there shouldn’t be a stat/skill gap in an mmo. There are FPS and battleground games that offer what you’re describing, and appear to want. If you want this to be a standard FPS, then I would just come out and say it, as some people would completely agree at this point considering how much the game has been dumbed down.

Thrill Kill likes this.
  5. Sameog

Sameog Akathar
    Legend

This game is an FPS... are you missing something? Give players what they want. Instant combat.
    --- Post updated ---
    Also. There aren't any games out there with combat up to par with darkfall sorry to tell you buddy :)

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    MaxiHori likes this.
  6. Leafcrawl

Leafcrawl Goblin Warlord

Sometimes it feels like we are only going backwards. Imagine where this game could of been if combat wasn't tinkered with at all.
    Nevertheless, a lot of us (non-hardcore's) are still hopeful and patiently waiting to return to Agon once again.
    Thank you BPG for keeping Darkfall alive. Make us come back.

Kol Taggar, Andrew, Degamra and 3 others like this.
  7. Buffalo Spaceman

Buffalo Spaceman Frostjarl
    Hero

Yeah, waste more development time on combat, that'll bring 50 people back and save the game!

Raap likes this.
  8. Featherbeans

Featherbeans Chosen of Khamset
    Contributor Hero

So, are we gonna have vanilla Darkfall or what?

Battle Smurf and Kol Taggar like this.
  9. Sero

Sero Menhir Sentinal
    Loyal Legend

I'm free btw.
    --- Post updated ---
    There was nothing wrong with launch grind length btw.

Battle Smurf likes this.
  10. Adam Worth

Adam Worth Goblin Shaman
    Hero

So by dumbed down you mean not having to afk swim, stone bot or grind on mobs for two years to not be a useless, walking loit bag for some asshat.

I think you should take off those shades and remembwr the reality of those days and the thousands of players who quit because of it.

I didnt find the DF1 grind or character imballance engaging, challwnging or rewarding. I found it prwtty dumb.

You seem to want to pidgeon hole the game into either an 'mmo' whatever that means in 2019 or an FPS arena. It is not and never was either. Its an old and failed argument you are presenting - you seem to be the last man clinging to it.

It is its own beast.

MaxiHori, Sameog and onslaught like this.
  11. Featherbeans

Featherbeans Chosen of Khamset
    Contributor Hero

Sig updated. HAHAHA

Sero likes this.
  12. Squanto

Squanto Black Knight
    Legend

Do you play the game? (gonna answer this for you, no you don't)

Would you be playing the game if you were able to progress your character a little bit each day and had something to look forward to (eventually maxing your toon)? (yes, you might log in and go shoot some spells for a few hours each day)

My point with this is that all of these people including yourself that don't want grind in the game aren't playing now that there is no grind at all, most of these people for the same reason - lack of content/things to do in the game. Grind = content to an extent, and if BPG did not remove the grind people would still be leveling their characters to this day and they would have had much more time to actually add shit to the game. Also keep in mind that people out in the world grinding their characters tend to want to grind on high tier mobs so they aren't wasting their time which leads to contested spawns and PvP. (something you hardly see anymore because no one cares about pixels, and no one needs to level their characters)

Thrill Kill, Mea Kulpa, Sero and 3 others like this.
  13. Sero

Sero Menhir Sentinal
    Loyal Legend

The length of DFO original grind was absurdly stupid, but I found the launch grind a happy medium. The problem with Darkfall grinding has always been lack of substance (hit mob x amount of times).

New ways to grind should have been explored. They were on the right path with scrolls, but they ended up being more costly and time consuming then Regular grinding.

They could have increased the skillgain on scrolls, decreased the amount of essence drops to compensate and increased their cost as well as adding in quests that gave scrolls for schools/skills of your choosing on completion.

The problem isn't the grind, it was how it was done.

Thrill Kill, Fengor and Battle Smurf like this.
  14. kilrain

kilrain Shadow Knight
    Staff Member Developer Team Lead

Grind is subjective. No reason to argue over it. What the game needs now is more non pvp forms of progression.

#34 kilrain, Jul 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    Sameog, Rimamok and aparks like this.
  15. Auron

Auron Chosen of Khamset
    Hero

Make more funny kill mobs...and add new racial skills and 1 new spells for every scholls of magic....for use that spell you need an magic book equipped and charge it whit rare mats....

16. Squanto

Squanto Black Knight
    Legend

Ask @Juicy , I absolutely hated the grind in beta and at launch. I didn't want to grind out and level my magic schools and max all of my spells but I knew it was needed in an MMO. Its not subjective, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that long term progression is needed in an MMORPG. Tons of people quit the game the second they got their characters fully leveled and farmed up a bank (few months into the game) because there is almost nothing to do in this game once you are at that stage in the game. Everything is player driven, and you can't expect players to do the same thing over and over for over 10 years and still be excited to siege and log in and pvp. Game needed new content, not these last year and a half of changes.

Back to the grind, You guys have made everything so easy that you can level a character from nothing to 110 all stats 4 in every spell in less than 3 days, and if you wanted you'd easily be able to max in less than a month (5 all spells 120 stats.) The reason no one bothers is because you frontloaded everything and on top of that made the gap between 110-120 stats and 4-5 in spells such a little amount its not worth the time investment. Obviously you guys messed up bad and you can't just randomly change back the leveling speeds (unless you wipe, which you stubbornly won't) so you are once again trying to just push forward with bandaid'ish new pve grinds in the future (relics, uncapped pve stats, whatever else you have talked about).

Please learn from your mistakes. Get these few patches out and then push toward the expansion. Pretty much anything Metalkon touched needs to be reverted, grind needs to be reverted, spell scrolls need to be 10x more expensive, make one of the continents a lawful new player island with a few player cities and convert the rest into NPC towns and wilderness banks and the rest of the map lawless. The expansion needs to have everything you guys promised and more... then wipe and relaunch the game. In my opinion, thats your only chance to have another shot at a large playerbase.

Thrill Kill likes this.
  17. kilrain

kilrain Shadow Knight
    Staff Member Developer Team Lead

There's a huge difference between character progression and grind and what people call a grind is 100% subjective. It's an old boring argument. We could technically give everyone a 100% pvp maxed out character at the start of the game and start at level 1 for crafting and pve and they would have the ability to fight from day 1 and still potentially have years left to level up their PVE to become self sufficient.

We wouldn't have touched it at all if it weren't for the massive amounts of complaints about it. You think reverting everything will somehow be different? It wont. Our time will be better spent looking for new ways to keep people busy and entertained, not trying to bring back the old stuff everyone got tired of years ago.

18. Sameog

Sameog Akathar
    Legend

Yes this is the way to go. It is a full loot game. Everyone needs to be on an even level combat wise. Anyone that says otherwise is a cuck that wants an edge.

19. Scrapnotcrap

Scrapnotcrap Eodrin
    Loyal Hero

Ppl complain about not having so much to do, but the lack of a grind is the last thing that you want to blame.

Market, rune books, billboards: that's everything that allows you to be everywhere and at one place all day. I'm always in calfardar. Yet, i'm everywhere.

I wish VCP's were linked to PVE again(b-spikes). I wish not everything was craftable like boat mats and warhulk mats. I wish city nodes and housing nodes were not as OP. If onions were not so easy to get from gardens, i would actually have to kill more gorra slaves.

20. Chantree

Chantree Dire Zombie
    Wealthy Legend

Game needs new fun content not added grind.