Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Discussion - Patch Update 7/12/2019

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kilrain, Jul 13, 2019.

1. SuB ZeRo

SuB ZeRo Black Knight
    Lifetime Legend

Do not listen to the people who don't work full time jobs or leave the computer for 10+ hours a day. The absolute last fucking thing I want to do is get home from work and go shoot spells at a mob for 2 hours before I go to bed. Casual players is what this game needs, not die-hard forget about all of my real life priorities type of people. Far more casuals than extreme gamers. Getting rid of the aids grind was a good thing. Game desperately needs content, NPE, and QOL updates.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    Deqa, Raap, Phorr and 7 others like this.
  2. Rimamok

Rimamok Spellgazer
    Legend

That’s a poor argument. A PVE grind would be optional. Don’t want to grind? Farm the farmers and get the same loot.

3. Auron

Auron Chosen of Khamset
    Hero

Add new racial skills whit a long cd ....you need an magic book equipped ( something like runebook) for use that skills usefull for pve you have to charge the book whit rare mats....for example mahirim can detect al the players in the " area' for some minutes...

4. Fenchurch

Fenchurch Goblin Warrior
    Loyal Tester

This deserves its own thread. BEST new idea I have heard in forever

5. Garou

Garou Crypt Guard

Very tired of braindead kids keep saying game needs "content" without specifying what they mean by content.

I'm going to assert you can't have content without it being a grind, because content needs to be time consuming to keep you occupied, and it needs to be beneficial to partake in not to be dead on arrival.

And when ever you have something beneficial enough not to be DOA and time consuming enough to keep people occupied for more than 5 minutes someone is going to come out of the woodwork and cry that he is busy and doesnt have the time to grind like this.

Fact is not a single successful mmo exists or has ever existed which wasnt built around grind, and it is obvious why this would be the case, the whole point of a persistent world is so that you can work on longterm goals.

If you dont like grind you dont like MMOs and are not interested in playing an mmo, luckily there is a tsunami of non mmo games out there which have absolutely no grind in them at all, just queue up and enjoy your 20 minutes a day.

I get that you might prefer darkfall combat to that of fortnites, but sadly darkfall arena isnt on the horizon, and as long as darkfall aspires to be an mmo reducing the grind is the worst thing you can do.

MMOs arent a casual genre, never were, never will be.

Sero and Battle Smurf like this.
  6. Auron

Auron Chosen of Khamset
    Hero

grind like the beta yes... grind to much like a second work no thx.....for me we need some new skills for pve ( spells book ) ...new racial skill after complete "long"task....make doungeons more interesting and hide they re location for force the players to explore the map....make possible siege citys only if the siege force conquest all the territory controll points....ecc...

7. Jean-Claude

Jean-Claude Infernal
    Legend

Can someone pm me on the forums when they actually do something instead of theory crafting.

8. Brando Pando

Brando Pando Crypt Guard
    Patron

I think when people complain about “content” they are really talking about the lack of things to do. When you log in you are probably doing one of three things: 1)duelling 2)farming 3)roaming for pvp.

As it stands the pve in this game is not really engaging enough to keep players playing solely for its sake. The only mob that presents any challenge are the champs, and there is no real sense of progression like with other mmos.

The pvp in this game is its saving grace since there is a skill progression and it can be done over and over without becoming stale. That being said, it is not talked about enough how hard it is to get a decent fight in this game. Me and my buddy have been trying to find a decent fight for two fairly long play sessions and have found nothing. People hardly go to villages any more and going to any of the big 4 clan holdings will get you hunted down by a large group. This leads players to get bored/frustrated and causes people to just hang in cities to duel.

If the game is to be successful they need to improve upon these things and add even more stuff to do.

9. Garou

Garou Crypt Guard

there used to be a sense of progression, but then they removed the only real "content" this game ever had, which was character progression.

killing shit was fun when every once in a while you got a message "Your mastery of greatsword mastery has increased" to get your dopamine fix.

10. franchisee

franchisee Wildtribe Mage

The amount of awesome this game would be if it was a DF version of Apex Predators...
    --- Post updated ---

Realistically though it was a lot of fun back when we didn't have responsibilities. Now that I have to adult and shit. (like most vets) An easier log in and play design would be preferred. It wouldn't be in our own best interest to play 8+ hours a day into late 20's, 30s, and even more.

Fengor and Oresmacker like this.
  11. Oresmacker

Oresmacker Obsidian Golem
    Supporter

Agreed, realistically for me even I don’t even have the time to find fights. And getting a good one is rare.

If I had to actually farm I would have to literally stop playing altogether.

12. Kael Trighton

Kael Trighton Deadeye
    Benefactor Tester

How about utilizing elements from survival games and ARPGs and wipe servers from time to time to keep things fresh? If people had to regrind a character and get a bank built up it would keep people playing and engaged with the game again. The need for resources is the main fuel for the sandbox pvp in the game but it always dies out because everyone maxes out. This is the same problems players reach in survival and ARPG games which is why they frequently reset the servers.

The only problem with wiping the server is the game's land area is too large for the population, this completely undermines the core design of the game. If the current population got characters wiped and had only the islands available when restarting, the pvp would be relentless and meaningful since people would need to control pve spawns for skill gains and gold/mats.

Darkfall has reached a lifespan way longer than it should have considering little to no new content has been added because the core design is so good. The core of the game is getting a character skilled up and competing for resources- this creates the sandbox content pvp. This doesnt work well in today's ROA because everyone has maxed characters and banks. So how can you do something like incentivize holdings if everyone already has everything they need? You could take a different route by adding new content regularly but the devs don't have anywhere near the capacity to do so, so I think people asking for all these dreamed up content additions are just wasting their breath. Maybe some day if the game really starts to thrive financially. We should just double down on the core darkfall design by adjusting it so it plays out properly.

So how about doing a fresh darkfall server? As I said before though, land size needs to be limited to something like islands only because lets face it, population is small and isn't going to be getting bigger over-night unless things get spicy. Having a land size that is wayyyy too big for the population undermines the core design of the game which is competing for limited resources. It would be incredibly fun to play the darkfall launch experience over in a land area suited to the population. Having to fight people off mob spawns so you can level and get resources would be really fun. Sieging in order to get a holding near a good mob spawn (because you have no bank and need mats) would be fun and meaningful.

Its like in RoA beta when everyone moved to cairn, the game got fun again because people actually ran into each other even though population was small. Imagine that, running into people regularly when out in the world because people have a reason to be out there and because the world size is properly suited for the population.

I say block off access to mainland, adjust some spawns or increase character progression rates if needed, and start everyone over fresh limited to the islands. This would create an environment for how the game was designed to be played- rubbing shoulders with other people while trying to get character skill and wealth, which creates conflict and endless pvp.

13. Brando Pando

Brando Pando Crypt Guard
    Patron

I would personally enjoy a wipe, but I know there are a ton of people that are really opposed to it.

I do think the map is way to big and would be an issue even if the game experienced a significant population increase. 80% of the mobs/dungeons/locations are useless and the chances of running into a player in the wilderness is astronomically low. It would be nice if the game had some sort of daily system (daily dungeon, daily mob task, daily village, etc) to get players to the same locations.

franchisee likes this.
  14. soulpcbr

soulpcbr Infernal

Portuguese please friends.

15. Not_Primetime

Not_Primetime Infernal
    Wealthy Legend

Yeah, since we now have a system to purchase in game currency with real world currency means there will be no wipes EVER. No it's not because "a ton of people that are really opposed to it". It would actually be illegal unless they refunded all the cash flow from those transactions that they have already spent.

16. Garou

Garou Crypt Guard

yes, because you play the game for the combat, not for the mmorpg, which would be fine if BPG hard committed on making an arena game, but trying to please the instant arena pvp crowd and the mmorpg crowd simutaneously is going to end up in you succesfully pleasing no one.

and even if you please the instant arena pvp crowd youll end up only having the 50 or so vets, because no new player would ever start the game when all it is is getting mangled by the same 50 kids who have a 10 year headstart.

Buffalo Spaceman likes this.
  17. Buffalo Spaceman

Buffalo Spaceman Frostjarl
    Hero

Hey look a thread of people arguing over lack of content, most of which have been "REEEEE" ing for months over combat and have yet again made the devs put content on the backdoor for the combat system that is the goddamned fucking same with some fucking number tweaks.

BUT HEY LETS KEEP CHANGING COMBAT WHEN THIS GAME HAS NO CONTENT SO 15 PEOPLE CAN BE HAPPY!

Deqa, Raap and Chantree like this.
  18. Chantree

Chantree Dire Zombie
    Wealthy Legend

An arena needs to have an elo rank system so new players can fight other new players.
    An arena is only one “slice” of the content pie. Game needs a variety of content that is constantly updated and added to.

franchisee and propain like this.
  19. Auron

Auron Chosen of Khamset
    Hero

Revert combat it's necessary ...many players come back ....after that bpg add content but post what you want guys....

20. Buffalo Spaceman

Buffalo Spaceman Frostjarl
    Hero

You're absolutely kidding yourself. Nobody is coming back because of minor combat tweaks. If ANYBODY comes back because of combat, it won't be near enough to make a difference. It will just be the most recent 25 people to quit.