Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Discussion - Patch Update 7/12/2019

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kilrain, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Brando Pando

Brando Pando Dire Zombie
    Patron

Completely agree. Especially if the grind is going to be a band aid fix that makes us work to kill the same stuff we have been farming since beta.

Been a big drop in population (my perspective, not concrete) since the "server war" ended and the constant sieges stopped. Adding a grind isn't going to change that. Too much high quality loot in the game imo and everyone is maxed out for the most part. Only reason to log in right now (as someone who has been playing for several months) is to PvP really, and fair fun fights are a dime a dozen.

#101 Brando Pando, Jul 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  2. Sero

Sero Gnoll Vilegaunt
    Loyal Legend

upload_2019-7-19_21-25-33.png

I think you meant something else

This thread is kind of going off on a tangent but the main highlight that I can see is what keeps players logging in.

Progression is the standard MMORPG route to keeping players logging in, but as many have pointed out if BPG were to revert all grind it would feel punishing. Another thing we need to take into account is PVE style progression isn't sustainable. You max out? And then what? Were at where we are at now. Other MMORPGs like WoW take it upon themselves to increase level cap to an absurd amount which creates massive imbalances and economy inflations, and all of a sudden the game just becomes "pay to have a max character and actually play" - It isn't sustainable and IMO is the fallacy of the standard MMORPG formula.

This is why I asked for an arena. Elo Grind is unlimited progression to keep players logging in. Obviously this isn't the save all for everyone in the game but it's definitely a piece of puzzle.

The idea I had behind it was if gear is breaking in your Arena progression, you will be enticed to acquire more to continue that progression and have that Arena fun. The problem then becomes: Is getting the gear fun/worth the effort of going back into the arena, and well you know where we go from there.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    #102 Sero, Jul 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    Inkarnation likes this.
  3. MikerotchBAGFACE

MikerotchBAGFACE Varangian Warthane

Lol collectables wow dude

Featherbeans and MaxiHori like this.
  4. Brando Pando

Brando Pando Dire Zombie
    Patron

Yea I meant the opposite, been a long day lol

Oresmacker and Sero like this.
  5. WithoutShame

WithoutShame Infernal
    Supporter

I'm sorry if this comes across as toxic, but reading this thread is insane. The lead dev of this game just said:

And then sameog replied with:

How does the lead dev not know what is supposed to be in this expansion that people donated 40k USD to?

6. Neilk

Neilk Web Development & System Admin
    Staff Member Team Lead

Kilrain took a break for a while, so he wasn't around when the final plans were drawn up for Embers of War. He knows an arena is planned because we talk about it and plan how we want to accomplish it quite often. He just wasn't aware of where we outlined the plan for it. Arena is a long term project especially to do it correctly with instances, automatic scaling of infrastructure based on people queuing for arena, deployments etc. I will be the one mostly working on this because the main challenges are not with the game development side but systems. It will be our biggest project to date with Embers of War, we should really help us to grow our audience base because of the increased stream-ability and retention of new players due to being able to practice against similarly skilled players.

7. Brando Pando

Brando Pando Dire Zombie
    Patron

So arena confirmed?

8. Neilk

Neilk Web Development & System Admin
    Staff Member Team Lead

It was confirmed last October with the Embers of War announcement :D

9. TryHard

TryHard Varangian Warthane
    Legend

This is neither productive or positive or helpful in anyway, it should be removed.

Great thread great forums awesome company, love the current state of affairs by the way. Seriously great dev team.

Darthlizard likes this.
  10. Auron

Auron Celestial
    Hero

Put out the patch!!!!

Featherbeans likes this.
  11. BeatIt

BeatIt Obsidian Golem
    Loyal Legend

EMBERS OF WAR

12. Yomi Scythetalon

Yomi Scythetalon Cairn Giant
    Legend Streamer Contributor

Holy.......shit

Darthlizard and Inkarnation like this.
  13. Featherbeans

Featherbeans Infernal
    Contributor Hero

I got to do it, folks.
    THis is what Kilrain is thinking right now:
    "Damn, we actually announced an arena for Embers... This changes everything!...."
    :p

14. kilrain

kilrain Shadow Knight
    Staff Member Developer Team Lead

Lol, not really. The only difference I didn't realize it was announced as a part of Embers. Nothing really changes.

15. Brando Pando

Brando Pando Dire Zombie
    Patron

Real talk, when is this combat patch going to live? I figured it would have been out by now.

16. kilrain

kilrain Shadow Knight
    Staff Member Developer Team Lead

Hopefully have what's on PTS cleaned up and patched early this week as long as there are no problems.

Methodico, KingLlama and koruun like this.
  17. Scrapnotcrap

Scrapnotcrap Eodrin
    Hero

@kilrain, can you add a spell that can be used underwater that we can test in the pts? I just dont want to use a silver branch underwater to compete.

New spell that behaves like an arrow or a mini magma storm with no knock-up and no cooldown.

Marxman and Auron like this.
  18. franchisee

franchisee Akathar

Here and now in 2019 there is absolutely nothing good about this game other than the combat compared to other games.

You can't have a successful mmorpg with this level of combat. Why? Because in an mmo there is no separation of skill level. The better players can consistently beat down and demoralize much weaker players which isn't good at all for the overall health of the game.

So you have 2 options.

Dumb down combat and focus on the mmo aspect of this game
    or
    Remove the mmo aspect of the game and focus on a game that is sported based on the combat.

Which area does this game shine at? which area is outdated, supbar, and a literal "meh" at best?

Darkfall is the definition of fine tuned combat. So to not use that as the core foundation of how to make this game successful..... Just deserves a #facepalm

19. MEATGRIND

MEATGRIND Goblin Warrior

Glad to see progression, good job devs. Keep it up!

20. Kol Taggar

Kol Taggar Infernal
    Loyal Legend

seems like you could get away with doing this a lot less complexly and a lot sooner by patching in like a couple dungeons to use as arenas and building some kind of teleport in/teleport out system for groups.

MaxiHori likes this.