Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Discussion: Prioritizing a Freemium Release

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MWTaylor, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Methodico

Methodico Gravelord

Infact I will give my money when I will see real changes.

quietnoobz and Nat like this.
  2. Geezy

Geezy Skeleton Archer
    Supporter

I've seen some good suggestions here. I would also advise looking at a game like Runescape; whether you like that game or not, their marriage of f2p and p2p has worked out pretty well for them.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    Nat and Fengor like this.
  3. prowess

prowess Goblin Scout
    Benefactor

People who can actually afford to finance your game understand the vast redevelopment required will require funding.
    A sustainable population churn is going to be necessary. Freemium is the only way to get a sustainable population churn.

For every 1000 players who log in and give the game a shot, maybe 5 will become long-term players.

NPE is probably more important than freemium as only a small percentage of those 1000 players will ever give the game another shot.
    PvE and gameflow are very important. Mainstream players don't want to log in to bulletin board hop for PvP, they're going to be more interested in exploration and PvE, collaborative stuff, not competitive stuff.

4. Bartlebe

Bartlebe Chosen of Khamset
    Loyal Legend

Doesn't Steam take a cut out of everything? Depending on how thin their margins are, the cut may be too much for them.

Fengor likes this.
  5. Copperfield

Copperfield Frostjarl
    Legend

you aint selling shit if your game is f2p

omfg

common man

6. Poetent

Poetent Goblin Shaman

And steam will also list Nithron coin things on the game. And there is a cost to keep the game on steam if I'm not mistaken. And if steam advertises a sub, they get a cut of it.

7. Copperfield

Copperfield Frostjarl
    Legend

damn poeple make it so hard for themselves...

why you wanne list roa cashshop on steam? and give steam a cut of your cashshop?

the only reason why you wanne list roa on steam is that your connected to their platform with millions of players.. there is nothing more too it.

you see AA selling APEX on steam?

crappiest shit you can do as a company is give money to any platform while its your cashshop

a 5 year old can launch a game on steam nowadays it costs 87 euro's

8. tommeh

tommeh Dire Zombie
    Contributor Hero

Premium accounts should get access to achievements, tasks and more bank space. F2P account could only have limited access to tasks, titles etc.

Also other freemium stuff like free nithron coins for concurrent months subbed

Bartlebe likes this.
  9. Poetent

Poetent Goblin Shaman

It's an observation being made? Not saying that's the route BPG would go? So no need to get your nickers in a twist over it. I would absolutely love a steam launch, but probably won't happen

10. Methodico

Methodico Gravelord

I give my money to re-play an old game, now I'm stop to pay. I see only words from months not facts. I'm waiting for free housing and enchanting UI from months, now I didn't see changes but they ask for more money's. Mmm no....

#30 Methodico, Dec 7, 2018 at 1:51 PM
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2018 at 12:21 PM
  11. Poetent

Poetent Goblin Shaman

Also, there are people who exclusively spend money through steam with the Steam Market and money they make there. So you're telling me that BPG wouldn't want to make an attempt at that money pool as well? I mean, they are trying to provide a game we all love and it's not going to be for frww. They need to look at all avenues of approach, and the steam platform isn't the only option. They can have a stand alone system as well as using steam. It would hit a broader audience, but what garauntee is there that the investment will be returned by using that platform? Alot of games are put on steam, but hardly are successful.

Yes a 5 year old can make a game and put it on steam, that's true. But stop looking at this from one aspect and analyze all the factors before acting like you're some kind of economical genius. Kthx

12. quietnoobz

quietnoobz Infernal

Premium accounts get to bind at your own house and a friend's same time. Doing daily dungeons three times a week gets you a treasure box with a selectable 120 pot of your choice. Extra emotes, free 100 ember fireworks a week, special slot machine slightly better odds, free bank extension once a month

13. DeadlyHit

DeadlyHit Spellgazer
    Legend

lol steam release

14. Poetent

Poetent Goblin Shaman

One thing players can do is add RoA as a non-steam game to obtain traction in that regard, and peak the interest of those on your steam friends list. If anything you give exposure that way.

onslaught likes this.
  15. nightblighter

nightblighter Undead Dwarf
    Patron

I think you are making a mistake prioritizing freemium. This game was in the worst state it has ever been in right before the free period. Since then almost none of the patches have fixed peoples main complaints or added anything substantial and new. Combat is still in the state that had the hardcore players triggered. Politics and Sieges are still nearly meaningless. This game needs TCS, more content, and for team B to prove itself with regular patches. There will never be a perfect time to relaunch as free to play, but there can be better and worse times.

My personal view is that the success of this free period is 40% from the Embers of War hype, 10% from the apology and team B reorganization, and 50% from Defiance and Legion ginning up an extended war and lots of flashy videos. 90% of that is smoke and mirrors and 10% is an unproven development reorganization. The current population boom is an aberration relative to the long run trendline, and unless someone can point to significant gameplay changes it should continue to be seen as an aberration. I think the fundamentals of Rise of Agon (aka the content and systems) are still bad. Eventually those fundamentals are going to reassert themselves in a reversion to the population mean (which is LOW).

https://i.redd.it/xd6se2kp0l221.png

Consider the above graph of ganks per day which Without Shame uploaded to reddit (Thank you!). Ganks per day is merely a proxy for activity, it could change for a variety of factors that have nothing to do with population growth, but it is all I have.

RoA has had three free periods which I cropped out in a separate image. The first two were not nearly as successful relative to the population levels at the time. The first was after the Runebook patch. The second of them was right after markets (easily the best addition to this game IMO). What changed about this time? Since the second free period, we had a lot of combat changes, a new alignment system, elemental arrows, village timer changes, the removal of portal shards from NPCs, an apology for the combat changes, a reorganization, and an expansion announcement.

As a reminder, here are some threads right before the free period (long after the combat changes) that will set the tone for those of you that weren't around:

https://forums.riseofagon.com/threads/thanks-guys-was-fun.17830/
    https://forums.riseofagon.com/threads/gaming-community.17835/
    https://forums.riseofagon.com/threads/poll-numbers-leaked.17813/
    https://forums.riseofagon.com/threads/darkfall-is-the-only-one.17822/
    https://forums.riseofagon.com/threa...d-a-returning-player-find-a-lot-of-fun.17796/

The mood was bleak! And nothing about the fundamentals of this game have changed since those posts. There needs to be more real improvement before you go free to play.

I am still grateful that we have a version of Darkfall around to play. But I worry that you are reading the wrong message from the current population boom. There isn't enough evidence to say that it is a real change in the trendline and plenty of reason to believe it is a temporary shock. Take a step back and assess this with a hard cynical view instead of being intoxicated by the greatness of an active Darkfall.

lamigra, Grimtide, Methodico and 6 others like this.
  16. Poetent

Poetent Goblin Shaman

Thanks for the long winded and much needed point of view as a spectator rather than a player hungry for the game to survive by all costs. A tactical pov is most definitely needed in order to avoid a potentially dangerous move. While I'm sure they're not as daft as others make them out to be, having people in the community voice these concerns has a certain feel good quality to it.

17. onslaught

onslaught Black Knight

God damn, this post is spot on and one of the better ones I've ever seen on this forum. Well done.

quietnoobz and Poetent like this.
  18. Kantor

Kantor Varangian Warthane
    Prosperous Contributor Legend

I was hoping we would try some advertising before going f2p, but I guess that cost money on its own. I know player made content helps a lot with getting people interested in the game. I’ve received a lot of messages about the game since I started my commentary and recap videos. Shame work has taken over my life now.

Fengor, onslaught and Poetent like this.
  19. Poetent

Poetent Goblin Shaman

With the caveat off that, the regard to streaming the game does very little due to the limited content streamers can do. Not all of us had the cash like Sobad to constantly keep replenishing our banks like he did via player auctions. For example. I want to do an even with Q6 destroyed/mage bags to give away. I want to farm those mats on stream. I'm not the greatest PvPer, and most certainly can't hold my own against 2+. Not for lack of trying mind you, but people would see that being streamed and Bam, progress lost on the event because people obtaining pixels are more important than promoting the game. Should streamers be free to do as they please and not get attacked? Absolutely not, but the fact that you can't stream certain aspects of the game due to that fact it is a high risk ghigh reward type of thing, it pushes people away. Regardless if I had 10k viewers or just the select few watchers of Agon, it's an inevitable situation that I would not beg/force clan mates to "cover my ass" while I farmed on stream. Most wouldn't do it anyway as they have their own endeavors.

20. quietnoobz

quietnoobz Infernal

F2p good idea but removing golems and swapping beloved dungeon mobs ain't the kinda content werew looking for

onslaught likes this.