Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Discussion: Public Test Server Patch Notes - August 27th, 2017

Discussion in 'Patch Notes' started by MWTaylor, Aug 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gaius_Octavian

Gaius_Octavian Goblin Warrior
    Legend

The prevalence of thunderstorm makes stam drain pretty ridiculous at the moment. I haven't had a chance to really test the new regen in a fight. It might be a bit too high at the moment, but it's hard to say until we get to test it in real group fights. I think the concept is good and it can be tweaked as time goes on.

2. MikeJT

MikeJT Black Knight
    Supporter Lifetime

Yes because allowing people to travel all over the map instantly and making the game world even more dead is a surefire way to increase pop

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  3. Aristos Giannes

Aristos Giannes Cairn Giant
    Hero

How would that make the game dead?

RootedOak likes this.
  4. soulpcbr

soulpcbr Infernal

Watch the games that are with millions of players. None of them need you to waste hours and hours traveling.

I do not mean portals, I find those portal systems bad. I say cars with stops in various places. At stop points you can have fights. Maybe even inside the wagons.

This way we could jump before arrival to avoid being ganked.

Safe alternatives can be adopted for transport between blue cities. It can be through closed trains, where the door opens and closes only at the stopping places.

blkgnd802 likes this.
  5. Gaius_Octavian

Gaius_Octavian Goblin Warrior
    Legend

Where did people get this idea that fast travel is bad for the game and noobs in particular?

Let's say there was no fast travel, or fast travel as it exists now (limited). Now pretend you're a noob living in a city on cairn and a vet clan (or several vet clans as was the case at launch) moves in next door. What can you do about it? You can rarely, if ever, beat them out in the world, and you keep dying when you try to farm any of the high end mobs. You can go bind somewhere else, but if all you have is strength in numbers, you're hurting yourself even more by splitting your force, and because you have to spend 40+ minutes to get back to cairn every time you leave, it isn't reasonable to move as a group. This isn't hypothetical, this is what happened at launch. People claim that fast travel makes it impossible for noobs to hide, when in reality it makes it possible for them to escape a bad situation.

I know the issue of portal chambers has been beaten to death, but in DF1 if you were getting crushed by a neighbor, you could always just port away and go fight/farm somewhere else for awhile. Not to mention it drove politics and sieges for the final two years of the game and, arguably, kept the game alive. Meanwhile, on RoA, sieges and politics didn't get stale, they started stale. I hope we get reasons to log in daily and fight each other soon.

6. MikeJT

MikeJT Black Knight
    Supporter Lifetime

Ummm... from actually paying DFO and watching my clan die out rapidly after city portals were introduced?

I had one of best toons in my clan and if myself or someone else with a high end toon wasn't online it was like sharks having a feeding frenzy in a school of fish.

And instead of having 1 clan from our local area hit us once every hour you'd have 4 clans from all over the map hit us every 15 minutes until all the noobs went back to noob cities or quit the game.

More fast travel will just expedite the exodus of players from the game.

Don't kid yourself.

Edit: thought I'd add.

Bladethorpe, Somerstone, Spear Waters and Alberworth had some amazing PvP prior to city portals.

The mobs were farmed, there was almost always activity in the area, people got fights with people who were a similar level.

Then portals were introduced and the hamlets with portal chambers were taken by large vet clans who used them for fast travel and nothing else. Good bye PvP.

The noobs were forced out of the area, the mobs were untouched, and area was dead whilst people who applauded portal chambers made "game is dead" posts on forums, oblivious to how much they fucked the game.

#106 MikeJT, Sep 1, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
    NonFactor likes this.
  7. Grisvok

Grisvok Skeleton Archer

Problem isn't that fast travel is inherently bad. Its that fast travel + absolutely no safe zones is bad. If you want people travelling everywhere, you also need spots where people can farm profitable mobs in safety and stock up on gear/skills.

There are lots of people who occasionally want a relaxed night of pve or farming, especially casual people. In the current game, if the pop was decent, your only way to guarantee a peaceful night is to not log on.

#107 Grisvok, Sep 1, 2017
    kingp43 likes this.
  8. NonFactor

NonFactor Forest Golem
    Wealthy Affluent Legend

wtb portal chambers

Grimtide likes this.
  9. blkgnd802

blkgnd802 Goblin Warrior

Real sick of the "fast travel is bad for noobs" argument. Noobs are probably coming from better MMOs and are going to find long travel times ridiculous as well. Anything that is tedious or clunky about Darkfall needs to be changed and that includes slow travel.

If you think noobs need more protection then you come up with a better way to protect noobs like gold not dropping on death for blues in lawful areas. You don't kill the game for everybody by making the game a pain for everybody to play like is happening right now with slow travel.

kingp43 and NonFactor like this.
  10. MikeJT

MikeJT Black Knight
    Supporter Lifetime

Adding more fast travel is basically treating the symptoms instead of curing the disease.

Side effects may include:

• Even deader game world (because everyone fast travels between A and B instead of actually travelling)
    • People losing holdings to clans who just want them for fast travel
    • Under-supply of a variety of materials in the game world because they're too inconvenient to to farm since clans were forced out of their holdings which now sit empty
    • Anal leakage
    • People quitting the game because they literally can't catch a fuckin' break from PvP

Coming across a random PvP encounter whilst travelling from A to B was one of the best parts of Darkfall and portal chambers completely ruined that.

11. blkgnd802

blkgnd802 Goblin Warrior

I didn't say anything about portal chambers. Your reference points seem to be the original DFO which was a horribly designed game in an advanced state of death by the time portal chambers were added. You need to reference more successful systems from better MMOs.

DFO needs something like an Asheron's Call style portal hub (and it's already in the works I believe). In Darkfall you'd have two different versions of it:

1) A blue portal hub (a room with a bunch of named portals) that connects you to all of the racial cities and additional drop off points to the sub-continents. It can be accessed from any racial city. Newbies can access as many hobgoblins and newbie spawns as they'd like (they can even get away from griefers at their previous location).

2) A red portal hub that connects you to all of the chaos cities. It can be accessed from any chaos city and perhaps a handful of other locations at strategically placed chaos shrines (around the mainland because the chaos cities are too clustered at mid-map). Reds can get closer to VCPs and high tier areas but won't be getting dropped off near newbie spawns.

3) Increased mount speed along roads with better designed roads if necessary to create choke points and avenues of travel.

There should still be some travel time but travel time that goes beyond 10 minutes is just poor game design and asking for players to get bored with it.

#111 blkgnd802, Sep 1, 2017
  12. NonFactor

NonFactor Forest Golem
    Wealthy Affluent Legend

its 2017 if travelling isnt easy and quick enough ppl will not go outisde and run 30 min populating the world as some ppl said.

they will just log off and play idk.. pugb.

portal hub has a big potential to be horrible too..

runebooks and clan chambers are pretty better (and easier) for the game.

13. MikeJT

MikeJT Black Knight
    Supporter Lifetime

I wouldn't increase mount speed along roads. That'd make it too hard to catch someone fleeing on a mount.

What I would do is decrease stamina drain for mounts whilst sprinting on roads, and increase the stamina regen whilst mount running whilst on roads. This has the effect of increasing average travel speed without making mounts near impossible to catch for anyone on foot.

IMO, the best way to protect noobs is to get them into clans, get the farming and PvPing with vets, as soon as possible.

Unfortunately right now we have a "us and them" mentality and many clans aren't taking on new players until they already prove themselves in PvP - unfortunately the game has filtered out a bunch of players before people even get to that point.

Then there's clans that take on noobs and don't even play with them. Don't do anything with them, don't invite them to groups, don't farm with them, don't give them any advice on the game, and then expect them to defend a city and attend sieges wearing gear they can't afford.

What's the point?

14. Grisvok

Grisvok Skeleton Archer

People keep saying this but I'm a "new" players (only really been playing RoA seriously) and I just haven't seen this. Almost everyone I meet is joining or changing clans just to find active players. Its actually been pretty depressing the past few months clan hopping from one good clan to the next just to find people to play with since the games so dead. I've liked all the people i've played with in RoA so far but they've quit in droves. Maybe theres some "elite" group of 5-10 people out there who log in faithfully every night and refuse new members, but the overwhelming majority of clans/players are struggling to keep people logging in and are willing to take anyone who's actually willing to play the game.

15. Statusquo

Statusquo Skeleton Archer
    Affluent Loyal Supporter

I can agree here. I have been trying to recruit actives for my clan for a few weeks. And at this point i don't care if they are brand new to darkfall or a 6 year vet. it doesn't bother me i just want people to actively play the game with. Lucky for me i have picked up a few guys and things seem to be looking up as of now but who knows they might quit in a week from now i dont know.. wish it wasn't the case but people do just up and leave this game without a trace.

16. MikeJT

MikeJT Black Knight
    Supporter Lifetime

Well what I should've said, is that's how it was. It might not be like that anymore because clans are struggling for active players.

17. NonFactor

NonFactor Forest Golem
    Wealthy Affluent Legend

patch day????
    --- Post updated ---
    im not login ir reading discord.

@kilrain u care to tell me if its going to happen today?
    --- Post updated ---
    yes, he cares.

18. kilrain

kilrain Shadow Knight
    Staff Member Developer Team Lead

Patch is looking good. We'll update pts again tomorrow, but have decided to wait until Tuesday for the patch so we're not cutting into any play time.

19. dinazoe

dinazoe Goblin Warlord
    Hero

You are exactly the type of shit tier that imposes kids to travel around 2 hours to find pvp, just because its sandbox, or whatever other excuse you try and insert. The game is dead and kids with opinions like yours are the major contributor for killing it. Get the fuck off the forums you fucking cancer!

You know what? Fuck it. Have fun throwing false positives to these arrogant/ignorant fucks that are trying to save their game. I am the retard for trying to save it and putting effort in.

Have fun on forums for a dead game, bye.
    --- Post updated ---
    Since you choose to ignore human language, maybe you'll read this and understand? I don't know know, seems like a bunch of lost efforts going towards what you are trying to make.

public class pretictablePopulation
    {
    static bool YourGamesSucessDependenceOnCombat = true ;
    public int TimeToGetIntoCombatInSecoonds = 0 ;
    public int IncentiveForPlayerTogetIntoCombat = 0 ;
    }

while(IncentiveForPlayerTogetIntoCombat < 0)
    {
    console.writeline("you and you're team are wasted efforts") ;
    }

20. Squanto

Squanto Black Knight
    Legend

@kilrain @Neilk
    Can you guys please try to squeeze something into this patch that would create a PvP hotspot?

Re-add the Demon that was above center map, add a new golem spawn, change the droprate of vielron/neithal ores from rare ore golems, change traderoute item drops. We need something to get people to leave their holdings.

I know the next few patches are going to help get more players out into the world, but until then it would be nice if we could get 1-2 new places where we could go to find pvp.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.