Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Discussion: Public Test Server - Patch Notes December 2nd

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Agon Herald, Dec 2, 2019.

1. NonFactor

NonFactor Forest Golem
    Wealthy Affluent Legend

just kill some grief goons and loot all their shit. ezpz

2. Sorrow Avaritia

Hero

They don't usually enchant their shit though =(.

The Red King and NonFactor like this.
  3. Fenrir Frauki

Fenrir Frauki Akathar
    Loyal Supporter

If you don't like the gameplay than don't play.

Let me guess you wanted them to remove bunnyhopping too?

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  4. Metal Haze

Metal Haze Goblin Scout
    Hero

He chose to carry 6 weapons. You can choose not to.

Most normal FPS games have primary / secondary / melee / multiple grenade types / misc tools such as uav strike or other situational use items.

6 weapon / items to use is not a stretch for any game. Definitely not for a RPG. I seriously doubt this will have much if any of an impact on keeping new players.

Your mindset and attitude (along with many others) sure does inspire faith for people coming here thinking about playing.

5. ThiefGarrett

ThiefGarrett Earth Elemental
    Contributor

Fernir's mindset of "Then don't play the game" is a solid reason why Darkfall Online wasn't a success and why ROA on launch lost so many players. It was the same game, same "we like it the way it is, don't change it" attitude.

I'm not saying this particular argument should be one way or another, but just saying "then don't play" is fucking terrible.

Methodico and MaxiHori like this.
  6. Metal Haze

Metal Haze Goblin Scout
    Hero

Not taking anyone's side. Just pointing out that 6 weapons or items to use in a video game is by no stretch uncommon.

I would agree on the other guys response being pointless. Hence the "(along with many others)". Which is
    also why I replied in the first place with more than the textbook 'dont play' or 'gitgud' response. (These forums are largely just a troll fest anyways).

Not every player runs around with 6 weapons. You can choose what weapons you carry and how many.

7. ThiefGarrett

Contributor

I think the reason they're putting items in the paperdoll is to have default weapons so when you select a skill it draws it without requiring the weapon first. I personally find this to both be a nice convenience and it works like most MMOs. Whether or not you can still choose to use other weapons I don't know what the have planned, but overall even if it limits the total number of weapons I welcome the change. We'll see what they do.

Methodico likes this.
  8. Methodico

Methodico Infernal

I like the gameplay, i play with 4-5 weapons too, but i prefere to play in a world full of people and the aswer is: semplify this game and add pvp and pve contets. UW makes many good changes, for the same reason, that they can copy. I dont think that swich between 6 weapons and 30 keys it's a funny thing. I want to see different combat styles not only unbalanced mage vs destro, and having to choose could be a good start.
    --- Post updated ---
    yes but this endgame / meta push people to equip 6 weapons.

9. Metal Haze

Metal Haze Goblin Scout
    Hero

I'm all for making transition between spell casting, archery and melee easier. I don't use scripts
    Not everyone is interested in the meta and min maxing. Yea 4 weapons is pretty standard. 2her / sword board / staff / archery.

I go play a standard fps I have to hit 1 to pull out my rifle , 2 to pull out my pistol, 3 to pull out my knife / melee, 4 to pull out flash bang, 5 for frag, 6 for smoke.....

I understand where you are coming from but I don't think the problem with the system is the number of weapons. More the mechanics used to transition between them.

Default weapon slots idea is not bad so when you hit a spell it pulls out the staff currently equipped to your paperdoll. If this could be implemented I dont see an issue with maintaining the ability for someone to hit mouse4 to equip their corpsecall for buffing or greataxe for power attack transition into dagger spam.

10. Korag

Korag Evil Eye
    Hero

Did you guys really make a stance that can attack any player that isn't blue without fear of any consequences? I mean if you attack a red player you should drop your gear plain n simple or you shouldn't be attacking anyone. That is dumb, very very dumb
    --- Post updated ---
    I agree with beatit, I cannot believe you guys did the garbage UW dye system, it will mostly remain unused as it did in UW minus the small % of people that are super into that shit. I mean who wants to farm tedious shit like that all the time???

Wish BPG would have listened when this first came up and added special dyes tubs to mobs based on difficulty similar to how UO did it.
    What a waste

Fenrir Frauki and Methodico like this.
  11. Methodico

Methodico Infernal

yes a standard FPS have ONLY this, DF have FPS standard keys plus MMORPG standard keys, maybe too much?

12. ThiefGarrett

Contributor

Red players are murders that kill without consent. Neutral flags can fight each other all they want without loss of alignment. Just do that if you don't want to go red.

13. Metal Haze

Metal Haze Goblin Scout
    Hero

It is a FPSMMORPG. Is it a bit much... kind of a matter of opinion there. I personally don't have an issue with the amount of spells and binds at your disposal. Sure there are plenty that could be removed and I would not have a problem with that.

The most meaningful thing that can be done to draw more players to this game is NPE and meaningful / engaging content. More players / casuals will fill roles on their own accord if they have fun playing the content.

Not everyone is going to bind the entire skill set at their disposal because not everyone cares about being some min maxing try hard Agon hero who may or may not use complex scripting to maximize their efficiency to an inhuman degree.

14. Ghostchant

Ghostchant Goblin Warrior
    Legend

The current idea for the dye system is such a huge misfire. I've been around too long and never say much of anything but c'mon man. Why copy a system that sucked? I knew the safe zone stuff was coming but mugging or w/e is a far cry from content. And dyes aren't far off. WTB TCS, new armors, anything...but...since this is what we get.

How to make a system that is fun/carrot on a long stick that involves players of ALL play styles:

Dyes Should be Achievement Based
    Current idea is tedium. Bullet sponge mobs are only farmed by certain people who enjoy that. 90% of the mobs in game are never killed, with good reason. Why cater to a single play-style when you can create a catch-all system that gets more people involved? Your task system is already in game, these two could be tied together. Making dyes achievement based (@BeatIt - A dye is acquired through some means and then you can dye your gear). Hell you can even make some of them kind of RNG based to keep them out of popularity longer.

- Capturing villages - chance at certain colors.
    - Conquering cities - chance at certain colors.
    - Killing x number of mobs - Difficult tasks could reward these as well
    - Killing difficult mobs in a certain fashion - necro bolts? etc
    - Super rare RNG based Chaos Chest dyes
    - Trade routes having a selection / Sea Towers / Land Towers...?
    - Travelling merchant who shows up at certain points of interest for 30min-1hr a day, sells VERY expensive dyes (prestige types, flat white, black, pink whatever, think 100k-500k+) decent gold sink / trade-able like a title scroll, goes into bank
    - Simply playing the game - Level 100 blacksmith (iron grey) Top level ? Hammered Gold/Silver.
    - Could do similar for 100 in magics / weapon skills. IE Water magic 100 - ice blue, Level 5 disable, blood red

Make the simple stuff baseline, so everyone has a color palette. Make the shiny ones harder to get. Players of all types/styles can then have access to some cool stuff instead of just mob grinders. They can still exist in tandem, just please don't FORCE people into one thing.

Even better! Charge anywhere 100 g-1 kg for armor applications depending on rarity. Boom easy sink. Don't have the color you want? No problem, the person who owns it can create the dye stamp with that new craft and sell it on the market. Expense of craft being varied by rarity.

Make locked dyes visible on the palette so people can see what they are missing, a nice incentive to explore and try to find them. Maybe group them by type or rarity. PVE vs PVP, conquest, harvesting, crafting, you name it. You can tie them to almost every facet of the game if willing.

PLEASE rethink this. The inside the box approach of A. go get thing. B. make thing. C. profit. Is so bland and uninspired. You will have so few people interested in the method of gaining them that it will be close to nonexistent. Create a system that anyone can participate in, and rewards even the newest of players. Even if its a simple idea, you WILL see people running around in dyed gear this way.

Korag, The Red King and Sintan like this.
  15. Copperfield

Copperfield Black Knight
    Legend

Jeuh, implement a dye system like in a way to make things more complicated that it already is..

It has been said multiple times... before starting on the coding part. Lay out the idea first.. get feedback and then start developing.

its been 2 years in order to get experience.. in leading and developing a game.. and there has been zero improvements on that part.

Experience from 10 min in the PTS.

- overwhelming windows that popup in order to get 1 piece armor dyed
    - right mouse button works in the bank aswell.. which has no function. you cant dye items in your bank
    - shields can be dyed... but it does nothing
    - crafting window and dye crafting icon in it shows wrong text( under requirements)
    - learning dye crafting @ npc the icon is grey outed... but you can learn it
    - dropping items on the ground.. the bagg falls out of your head?
    - cant open the clanvault? or is this just me... alternative usage not working.. and holding normal use just opens my own bank

Why you guys keep complicating it for yourself. When it could have made alot easier?!

Example : the R G B M I codes in the dye windows.. is way too much for dying keep it simple.

Again i am very dissappointed in the complexcity you guys keep rolling yourself in.

Dying gear in any game is FLUFF, you guys implement this fluff like it is content.

How it should be implemented?

- add 1 icon to topscreen for dyes
    - a window pops up in order to dye your currently wearing gear.
    - charge gold for each armor you dye! Hey look a goldsink...
    - add rare colors to your cashshop

What we have now.. is another 100 extra items more crafting tedium, more pve tedium.. this will take hours to dye 1 piece of set of gear which has no function in pvp and is just fluff.

Dying should be easy 10 min... gear up @ the bank- click the dye icon window - dye your gear - and fight

and you guys wonder why there is no players in roa

16. The Red King

The Red King Obsidian Golem
    Loyal Legend

Dyes are tedium nobody will do it but a few.

take a book out of UO and have dye tubs that last forever. Then dyes will get used.

maybe sell an ingredient from a merchant as a gold sink.

nobody wants to go farm or buy another 5999 items and take another 2 hours to apply to all 10 of your pieces.

17. kilrain

kilrain Shadow Knight
    Staff Member Developer Team Lead

Keep the ideas coming in, we like reading them and will use them to help improve this patch. With that I'd like to address some of the concerns.

The windows for dyeing are rudimentary and intended for testing purposes. The final dyeing process is yet to be determined. One idea was to use them like gems, but I personally like @Copperfield suggestion to only allow the currently worn gear to be dyed. I would probably place a button in the paperdoll slots, but only if the item can actually be dyed. Open the paperdoll, select the button on the item you want dyed and choose a dye and layer.

The RGBMI number scrollers will not be there and the only way to select a dye color will be the dyes themselves. Again those were for testing purposes.

We've discussed placing the low level dyes on the vendor (along with another that was already planned to be on the vendor) so that's likely to happen, and we're likely going to change the crafts (and purchases) from single to a small stack of 2-5 dyes per.

When it comes to how dyes/ingredients are acquired, the general idea we had going into this was to give a purpose to underused mobs. We've expanded on the global loot system and created regionalized drops (which we will use for other things as well) so players are not restricted to single mobs in order to obtain what they are looking for. For example the apple green pigment has potential to drop from any goblin including the basic scouts, fighters and mages to wildtribes, biletooth, etc... as long as it's in a lawful area.
    The ingredients for the dye bases are all acquired through harvesting.

There are a lot of different ways this can be handled and everyone will have different opinions on it so don't hold back and keep letting us know your thoughts.

KingLlama and Andrew like this.
  18. Korag

Korag Evil Eye
    Hero

I get how it works and it says that a neutral player can attack a red and STILL not lose gear. If you can attack a red then you should risk just as he does, during that period of "in combat" Make it only to that 1 player or only to players that were attacked, but at least make it as good as UO's system that is 20+ years old now, I mean it is like they have not learnt from the past and are stuck on UW that never had even a 1/4 of the pop df1 had.

The Red King likes this.
  19. Andrew

Andrew Eodrin
    Staff Member BPG Representative

The point of the neutral flag is that you agree to consensual PvP so it removes the ability to hurt peaceful players. If we have no real difference between neutral and hostile would it not defeat the purpose of the 3 flag system?

This system is new and we're going to play with it to get it right so let's keep this conversation going as we discuss merits. We are considering loot differences between neutral and friendly flagged players still based on play testing. The intent though is why hostile and neutral players share different loot rules. If you want to have the ability to unrestricted PvP that hostile offers than you forgo blue benefits is the mentality we went with.
    --- Post updated ---
    Oh also many of us including myself have little to no experience with dfuw, we don't draw any inspiration from it. Inspiration for this system is from games like Eve and Albion among others that have multiple PvP zones and flagging rules. No system can be taken verbatim from another game though as RoA is different than most MMOs.

20. chad

chad Celestial
    Loyal Hero

There's a pretty tried and true flagging system that has existed in MMOs for a long time.

Red = freely attackable by anyone
    Grey = temporarily freely attackable by anyone
    Blue = attackers turn grey by attacking this person. if the attacker participates in attacking blues frequently, they go red.

If a blue attacks a red or a grey, he becomes grey to the particular player that they attacked only. To everyone else, he's still blue.

You could tailor it so that blues are not able to be attacked in lawful zones, which would be in line with what you're trying to accomplish. But if a blue chooses to attack a grey/red in a lawful zone, they should not be immune to the red/grey attacking back.

Idk how anything else can make sense.