Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Disrupt Spell or Archery.

Discussion in 'Game Design Discussion' started by KingLlama, Apr 24, 2016.

1. KingLlama

KingLlama Infernal
    Supporter Lifetime

When you hold a spell or a arrow why can't you cancel it?

Do you guys should be able to cancel or be able to disrupt it similar to UO's candling?

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  2. gbtg

gbtg Goblin Scout

agree, would be nice to cancel spells

3. Super Star

Super Star Oak Lord
    Legend

Wouldn't make sense to allow people to cancel spells. Not being able to cancel a spell is there to punish/reward a player. Say im fighting someone, we eventually start moving closer and closer towards one another. I think he is too far from me so i start casting say a magma storm or an r90. Instead of him casting as well, in that time he decides to push melee on me because i misjudged the distance between us. I should not be able to just cancel my r90 just because i want to. I made a bad decision and misjudged the space between us. He made a correct decision to push melee. I should be punished for that mistake.

Action_Jackson and Depetch like this.
  4. propain

propain Black Knight
    Loyal Hero

No it is there to punish. It's a giant nerf to melee oriented players if you change it. Think if you fuck up, instantly recognize it and can just parry around the melee person until you can get away. It is huge. Also is a giant nerf to players that love to fake their opponent out by weapon transitions. Please just no it's a bad idea that will imbalance towards one side.

5. Battle Smurf

Battle Smurf Oak Lord
    Legend

Terrible idea for obvious reasons to any competent player

#5 Battle Smurf, Apr 24, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  6. heyBRO

heyBRO Dire Zombie

competent

Zoro and Battle Smurf like this.
  7. Battle Smurf

Battle Smurf Oak Lord
    Legend

I'm on a tablet it suggests words and I clicked the wrong one

heyBRO likes this.
  8. heyBRO

heyBRO Dire Zombie

why aren't you playing

9. Battle Smurf

Battle Smurf Oak Lord
    Legend

I have,been really sick the past couple of days I didn't even get out of bed except to run to the bathroom. The thought of trying to set up my scripts, binds, and sensitivity ect right now sounds like awful as I'm pretty particular about that shit and I don't need a worse headache.

Prior to that I was replacing my hardware as I haven't even been gaming at all the last year and I wasn't expecting alpha so soon.

I'm also older now and have real life responsibilities that I didn't use to. And for some reason I can't seem to play Darkfall in moderation it's either all day or not at all. It's the same reason I don't drink.

So take your pick

I do have a really nice new "battle station" waiting for me now though and will be setting aside a few days a week to play starting this week.

heyBRO and Zoro like this.
  10. KingLlama

KingLlama Infernal
    Supporter Lifetime

But don't you think the be able to recognize your mistake as it is happening and being able to correct a skillful mechanic? It helps with progression of skill. Have you ever 5x in Ultima?

Do players worry that the meta would change?

So you guys feel a player should be punished but why though? Because they at first chose the wrong spell or pulled the bow back while trying to make a decision? I think adding the ability to disrupt it will cause player's to make better decisions in the long haul and it will cause the skill of player to raise because they can fix their mistakes while they fight.

11. Zoro

Zoro Spellgazer

Listen here you fucking shit tier
    Canceling spells is a terrible idea. One of the many outplays possible in darkfall is to lunge into melee the moment your opponent believes you plan to attack him at range. If Unholyshitwars proved anything on the subject of spell canceling and 3rd person ranged, it's that these so called "quality of life changes" in fact lowered the skillcap of the game drastically.

You're not at fault for lacking understanding on the subject, and you have the right to bring up the idea for discussion, but I REALLLLLLY hope you're capable of understanding why this is a garbage idea. I hope this helped improve your understanding.

The logic behind your post is essentially the same as saying someone should be able to take back their unholy flames while it's traveling through the air if it's about to hit a teammate. That's just fucking ridiculous. There is no way putting an undo button on things in any way increases the skillcap.

Battle Smurf likes this.
  12. Nat

Nat Shadow Knight
    Legend

One of the great things about Darkfall and what makes the skill ceiling so high is that every choice needs to be calculated and deliberate. The best players are the ones who's every action is well thought out. Removing that thought process will leave us with Unholy Wars.

Action_Jackson likes this.
  13. Super Star

Super Star Oak Lord
    Legend

I actually believe quite the opposite. I think a players skill ceiling will improve more if hes forced to have to react off of the mistake he just made. Being able to just press another key to break your cast doesnt help you. All it does is say ok, dont worry if u make a mistake it doesnt mean anything.

Aristos Giannes and KingLlama like this.
  14. KingLlama

KingLlama Infernal
    Supporter Lifetime

Its not that I don't understand its that I'm seeing it at a different angle. So my thought process is similar to someone of playing a sport. Example: football quarterback, they can cock their arm back and start to aim but if their target is getting charged at, they switch targets or run it themselves. With your logic you think you should throw the ball no matter what.

I understand people see it as a raising the skill ceiling if you let people not disrupt the spells so the other person can capitalise on the other players fault. I feel it causes a wider skill gap between noob or vet. It'd add another hotkey

Yes, im not top tier but I don't use ray cycle scripts or sword/board.

15. KingLlama

KingLlama Infernal
    Supporter Lifetime

I'm so glad you guys can have a discussion without name calling. Toxicity is still alive. Please crutch more on ray scripts and sword board. It seems you are being close minded to the thought. Darkfall is "hardcore" so therefore I use scripts to automate my aim and spells*sarcasm*. By adding these cycled rays and one key for all weapon abilities you guys are making the gap smaller for everyone. Its good but bad at the same time just as my idea has pros and cons.

I feel not having disrupt causing a negative gameplay mechanic. No one is perfect a 100% of the time if you are not using automated pvp scripts. I myself run into this issue because it is something I'm working on because I feel it is a crutch to use scripts.

#15 KingLlama, Apr 24, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2016
  16. Quin Tessence

Quin Tessence Black Knight
    Legend

It would be fine, but only if the cancel could only be done after the spell is finished casting and it would still need to use mana

17. Super Star

Super Star Oak Lord
    Legend

?? The whole point i think hes trying to make would be to cancel anytime during the cast. It doesnt even make sense to only allow it to be cancelled after its already done casting and still consumes mana? Lol what would be the difference in time for me to just let the spell go off than cancelling it when the cast time is already complete.

18. Quin Tessence

Quin Tessence Black Knight
    Legend

I'm going to assume you didn't read anyone else in the thread. If you pick the wrong spell as a mage you are being punished for doing so.

But if you cancel the spell you don't give away your position with a nuke and your cool down will not trigger, that is the difference.

19. Super Star

Super Star Oak Lord
    Legend

lol... im going to assume you havent read the thread considering ive already posted above twice. I dont think anybody cares to cancel a spell in regards to giving away your position if you are hiding. The whole point to cancelling your spell would be when you are actually fighting. If instead of casting an r50, you cast a heal other towards the enemy, or a self buff, or starting a long cast when someone wants to push melee on u. That would be a valid and logical reason to want to cancel. I dont think giving your position away with a cast happens nearly enough to be cause for concern.

20. KingLlama

KingLlama Infernal
    Supporter Lifetime

That would be fine or it could add a cooldown on the spell that was canceled which is fine to me also.