Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Draunadan the new Blackbolt

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MikeJT, Jun 28, 2017.

1. RootedOak

RootedOak Oak Lord
    Legend

School level doesn't effect damage. There's also multiple sources of mitigation which include stats that aren't visible anymore such as Constitution.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    Fengor likes this.
  2. merkmerk73

merkmerk73 Earth Elemental

Agreed

I just worry Bpg is taking too long on smart changes like this

The game doesn't have the lifespan to take three months to make good balance changes

kilrath81 likes this.
  3. MikeJT

MikeJT Black Knight
    Supporter

Are you sure about that?

Spell level and school level would be highly collinear and hard to isolate.

4. Super Star

Super Star Oak Lord
    Legend

what lol? The standard is a bb and a vermilion. If your gold stack just barely exceeds 1k, then yes, your standard will be a draunadan in pvp. There is nothing wrong with having this staff accessible to those that cant afford better, but they 100% arent the standard, not by a long shot

Fengor likes this.
  5. Ron Mexico

Ron Mexico Fire Elemental
    Legend

wtf is a Draunadan? Hastestaff or gtfo

Fengor and RootedOak like this.
  6. DarkGhost25

DarkGhost25 Black Knight
    Loyal Contributor Hero

I think the issue he has is how powerful the weapon is considering it's basically free to use. Melee weapons and bows are completely the opposite. Not only does that scream of balance issues but it also devalues high end staves. This is part of the reason why most people stick to blackbolts, it's really good and inexpensive, a lot of people won't pay a ton for cobras, but on the melee side of things a justice bringer feels mandatory when compared to an r20-r40.

Zeiken likes this.
  7. MikeJT

MikeJT Black Knight
    Supporter

This. Marginal cost vs marginal benefit is the issue.

Zeiken, kilrath81 and DarkGhost25 like this.
  8. vehementi

vehementi Goblin Warlord

This isn't even close... it's a crazy formula with weapon magnitude used in 5 places and scales weirdly with enemy armor and other sources of mitigation. And no, nobody knows the damage formulas, they are kept secret by the devs because they want to encourage "exploration".

9. MikeJT

MikeJT Black Knight
    Supporter

Sexual exploration?

10. Super Star

Super Star Oak Lord
    Legend

its not powerful, its less dmg and less speed. If someone cannot afford a a blackbolt(if speed staff is their preference, and they cant afford a haste staff, they can use a draunadan). The only reason why people stick to a blackbolt is because if that speed is comfortable for them, the only next option is a cobrastaff, which is an r80, has an insane cost and only 1 person on the server can make them. Melee wise, you can 100% do fine with an r50, and r60 is not mandatory, an r40 is pushing it however.

11. DarkGhost25

DarkGhost25 Black Knight
    Loyal Contributor Hero

You say an r40 is pushing it for melee, I agree, draunadan is an r20 and you can destroy people with it, that's the problem man. Magnitude doesn't impact damage as much as it should, the staff is reasonably fast, overall the dps is high enough to drop people pretty easily. And r20 melee weapon is basically a suicide attempt.

12. Sacrillegious

Sacrillegious Fire Elemental
    Loyal Hero

You guys are dumb as fuck. Strong staffs hit well geared people harder

That's it now shut the fuck up with all your nonsense

13. Serbitas

Serbitas New Member

Forgot the Detail that a r20 staff destroys nothing, unless you have 100 of each reg, worth 2.4k....

14. Super Star

Super Star Oak Lord
    Legend

its a useless staff, why do threads like this exist, i dont understand. If you are poor, it is a great staff for you; if you can afford anything better, then its not longer good to use them, unless you are cheap like me and bolt stuff with them

15. WyLd_SyDe

WyLd_SyDe Spellgazer
    Legend

They will change it, then you will cry that no lifers with 5k staffs are 3 hitting you, then newbs will cry they can't even heal themselves while pveing, then we will enter another cycle of cry threads.

I'll agree staffs need something but damage disparity is not it. The better staffs actually make a pretty significant difference against people in high end armor (clannies have tested it). Gear scaling is where it comes in. When full plate is the new plate it will matter. When people are making vids solo raiding with hellraisers and full infernal it will matter. Until then you can expect to loot shit from a server who has the mentality I won't be using good gear until everyone else does. Half the people I see in the world are in robes anyway what's the point lol.

My biggest gripe with staffs right now is just the cost. It's a ridiculous gold sink that only encourages the previously stated mentality. Why would a mage carry a 5k staff when they are only doing 1-2 damage difference vs each other and destroyers are only using mob drop plate and fp atm?

Brown Dorf likes this.
  16. vehementi

vehementi Goblin Warlord

A staff conservatively has 100 durability, so 1000 spells. A blackbolt's value is about 1000g, so it's adding 1 g to each spellcast, which all cost 4-12g. A super duper 5k staff is only adding an extra resin to each cast, beyond a blackbolt. It's not really ridiculous especially if you're only using it for PVP.

17. MikeJT

MikeJT Black Knight
    Supporter

So wait... you're saying that melee players have to put on super-heavy, super-expensive, cast-time killing, magnitude squashing, archery damage reducing armor, before anyone needs to bother to pull out something better than a blackbolt?

AND YOU STILL CAN'T FIGURE OUT WHATS WRONG WITH DARKFALL?

18. WyLd_SyDe

WyLd_SyDe Spellgazer
    Legend

I wish I could look into your brain and see your point beyond the tears because really you just come across to me as someone who got owned once and has completely given up on getting better and is just crying everywhere to anyone who will listen instead. Destroyers use blackbolts too, I'm against the change you mention because it means they have to farm better staffs too on top of wearing 4 pieces of fp just to be competitive

19. vehementi

vehementi Goblin Warlord

Or they could nerf all elemental damage until you put on a sweet ass 5k gold staff. Then destroyers can keep using blackbolts for basic spell usage and mages who need to actually kick ass need to bring a fancy rare ore staff

20. Rawr

Rawr Chosen of Khamset

Shouldn't there be a clear difference between cast speeds staffs, which should have minimal impact on magnitude of transfers/heals/buffs, and elemental (magnitude) staffs which are for damage spells.

Keep cast speed staffs cheap, while magnitude staffs are more expensive, but should have more of an impact on spells. The problem is of course, cast speed means more damage so need to find some way to make it more attractive of course.