Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Easy NPE fixes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hirve, Feb 11, 2019.

1. hirve

hirve Goblin Warlord

Since you guys are pushing the new expansion I thought you might like to hear from someone who quit after a few days. coming from quake I want to like this game but I don't

- release to fire is super uncomfortable for people who play normal FPS games

the default should be click to start charging and click again to fire so fps players don't have to relearn how to shoot. add the current mode as an option to keep existing players happy

- the game is not playable out of the box

pick any good player's config and make it the default. all settings and spell/skill binds. binds are far more important, this game has 100(?) spells and newbs have no idea which ones are good or commonly used and how to come up with an efficient config. no useful settings should be hidden behind console commands but there are some (I don't remember)

- there is way too much to configure and it doesn't seem to be possible to put something together that's actually good

pick any popular game, copy their hud and remove all customisation. forcing one good option is better than offering infinite shitty ones. having your hud shuffle randomly when you crash is dumb and this would fix it

- a lot of the ui interactions are frustrating

I don't remember exactly what the issues are but sit a new player down and record them trying to use the ui. interactions between text boxes and the rest of the ui are particularly annoying, this is not a problem in other games. windows hiding and needing console commands to show them again should be fixed.

- the grind to unlock spells takes like 3 days and is pointless and should just be removed

pve in this game is AWFUL and should be discouraged as much as possible, especially at the stage when you are trying to win players over

it is especially confusing that you can level up magic schools but not unlock anything if you're using a dawnstaff

- the game feels dead even if you join a clan

new player areas are ghost towns but that's hard to fix, the easy fixes are: make chat larger and visible with system tab open, add some way to see who is online in your clan, maybe add some way to see where they are too

- I have no idea what to do in the game

not easy to fix but it's what made me stop logging in

you can kind of blast through the obvious stuff like unlocking spells and the mine 100 stone etc quests, but after that the quests turn into kill 5000 goblins etc and levelling spells is much slower and boring because you just autoclick on monsters for it

I wanted to start fighting other players but it's not at all clear where to go to do that. it's also not clear how to replace my gear once i lose it. I will not go and pve for an hour every time i die because the pve is too unfun in this game, I hope there is some other way

realistically your competition is other fps games (this game has nothing to offer for traditional mmo players) and in other fps games you click play and have a match within a few minutes with no effort. it needs to be much easier to actually play the game.

edit: buy ubergames and copy their input queue code. it was very good

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  2. SuB ZeRo

SuB ZeRo Frostjarl
    Legend Lifetime

While some of these suggestions are obviously needed most are quite bad. Make chat window bigger? see where your clan is on the map? remove customization? redo and force new firing mechanics? lmao you'll increase fps lag, increase spies and griefing, piss off literally every single person playing this game who is used to their GUI/firing mechanic.

I grew up playing nothing but fps games and there is absolutely 0 problem with the current firing mechanics. Rays are instant like shooting a sniper and many other spells have a very short casting time which only requires basic tracking to hit your target. If you can't easily adjust to that then that's your problem.

You can unlock every spell school and have it to 100 within 2 days with most spells to level 3 or 4. This game is way too dead to try playing
    alone. You 100% have to join a populated clan and join discord to get anything done.

Unfortunately it sounds like you didn't even properly experience this game at all. There have been many threads about NPE that should catch the Dev's attention but this isn't one of them.

3. Sameog

Sameog Deadeye
    Legend

Valid criticism. Been telling them to make pvp viable default bindings for ages. Once they have that and an arena queue the game will be popping.

4. kinglear

kinglear Black Knight

Thats like saying I've been telling the US government to just fix the opioid crisis for ages, it doesn't work that way

There is 0 universal bind system that will work for everybody, my binds are weird to you, and your binds are weird to me

The kid that taught me to play the game started telling me his binds a few months ago, and my brain literally exploded into 1000 pieces trying to figure out why anybody would play like that

Bat man taught me to put every single spell onto one spot and just right click until somebody died, my character literally exploded into 1000 free loot pinatas trying to learn that

What they need to do is just explain how bindings work, promote videos like Gotja's end game mage binds, and have information in game about the current meta for upgrades, spells, gear, etc so that new players know what to do

5. aparks

aparks Obsidian Golem
    Legend

I believe bpg did a good job on new player experience for the most part. What has been lacking is ingame content for new players and endgame players. New game players need npc guilds/factions that have really good missions and encourage racial warfare and rewards. This will help get new players out and about experiencing the world and fighting over racial territory control. They need the same for end game Red’s in chaos city factions fighting over center of Agon territory. They need to add in que up wager duels that teleport combatants to an arena for people wanting quick combat. Leaderboards and rewards can be offered maybe some weapon and armor skins specific to arena pvpers. As for GUI they need to do some more work but mostly good. As for skill gains they are fast but I can understand that now all current players are basically maxed so why not make new players instant Maxed in basic skills and stats and spells?

6. SuB ZeRo

SuB ZeRo Frostjarl
    Legend Lifetime

I wish this forum had a delete or downvote option jesus christ lol

7. Brando Pando

Brando Pando Dire Zombie
    Patron

Thanks for making this post, its rare to get feedback from legit new players. The suggested fixes obviously aren't the best solutions (since the guy doesn't play the game), but the issues seem pretty real.

What stood out to me the most is the lack of objective/direction as far as how to actually enjoy the game. Right now the game is classified as a pvp-MMO, but I doubt any new players are going to run into any PvP since it all happens at villages/hotspots that are unknown to a newbie. The sad thing is that if this guy actually ran into someone, he would get messed up so bad he probably wouldn't even want to play anymore. Hopefully this will be an aspect of the NPE that will be remedied by the arena.

Also hirve if you are still remotely interested in this game shoot me a message on here or try me in game (Brando Pando) and id be happy to show you the ropes!

8. aparks

aparks Obsidian Golem
    Legend

What is soo offensive to you?

Basically said the same as you in a different way.

How do you think npe can improve?

Wouldn’t more content via npc guild missions for new players be best new player experience? It would get them out and about experiencing the world. Farming and finding pvp in a more natural fashion and fighting with other blue players vs common enemies. As for skills, stats, spells. It’s true you can Max out fast and many argue it’s a good way to learn the spells and skills more gradually vs getting everything at once. But if you had missions that teach you how to use each spell and skill than needing to grind the basics becomes pointless and just makes new players start with a larger gap vs vets. We all know many vets that are blood thirsty and don’t care about new players and will kill anyone they see. As for GUI? How is not a lot more newb friendly than the old? and why can’t missions introduce the more in-depth GUI binds to players. And why is que up arena pvp a bad thing? Will help newbs find Instant fights if that’s what they want and see how far behind they are and what they need to work on. Probably make friends and mentors that way also

9. WithoutShame

WithoutShame Infernal
    Supporter

Making this optional would be ok, not sure how hard it would be to implement.

Completely agree. They should have at least 5 templates you can pick with spells/keys already bound. As is the defaults binds aren't playable.

When the grind takes 3 days to complete, whats even the point? Just dick's over new players.

You join a clan and PvP. Zerg people and take their gear. Get zerged and rage about getting zerged. Pretty much it.

10. SuB ZeRo

SuB ZeRo Frostjarl
    Legend Lifetime

I’ve already made a giant npe thread months ago that outlines exactly what needs to be done.
    https://forums.riseofagon.com/threads/before-you-go-free-to-play-urgent.17909/

You are advocating the current npe is fine when in fact it’s absolute dogshit.

Adding an Arena isn’t going to solve this game’s problems. It desperately needs a NPE revamp and a fuck ton of marketing and advertising. Once this game has a population its amazing.

Fengor likes this.
  11. Sero

Sero Gnoll Vilegaunt
    Loyal Legend

Probably this part:

kinglear likes this.
  12. Sameog

Sameog Deadeye
    Legend

ehhhhh, setting up binds is fucking aids, really anything is better than nothing. Maybe they could make the tutorial go through all the spells and help you set up binds or something. Like show you fireball, and have you press a key and BAM fireball is set to that key, onto next spell. Idk, literally anything would be better than what we have now. A player shouldn't be forced to join a clan just to learn how to play the game.

13. hirve

hirve Goblin Warlord

will go over these point by point

> Unfortunately it sounds like you didn't even properly experience this game at all.

yes this is true, I think the problems I bring up are valid even if my suggestions are shitty

> Make chat window bigger?

that was maybe an oversimplification. my point is that chat is kinda hidden away and it contributes to the game feeling empty. mmos are social games, chat should be front and centre

> remove customization?

yes. simplest argument in favour of this is most popular games offer no hud customisation at all and nobody complains, including df players when they play those games

pick any popular game and copy their hud. lots of smart people have put a lot of effort into making them work well for everyone, obviously the dfo devs did not

> redo and force new firing mechanics?

I said make them the default but keep an option to turn it back

> you'll increase fps lag

buy ubergames cuz I'm pretty sure they fixed this, otherwise suck it up because having lower fps is less bad than losing players

> increase spies and griefing

maybe. you play so you know better than me.

> You can unlock every spell school and have it to 100 within 2 days with most spells to level 3 or 4.

yeah exactly even as a newb. I would say just cut it out because it's not fun and 2 days is nothing for an mmo

> This game is way too dead to try playing alone. You 100% have to join a populated clan and join discord to get anything done.

the game should probably force new players into clans if it's mandatory to enjoy the game. shouldn't be losing players to things like this

> There is 0 universal bind system that will work for everybody, my binds are weird to you, and your binds are weird to me

you are right of course, but having anything is better than having nothing. people can go change their binds once they start to figure the game out

14. aparks

aparks Obsidian Golem
    Legend

I like your post and is a detailed version of my thoughts: that npc missions can make fun learning experiences and can be made to teach new players how to play the game. All popular mmos have fun newby missions to teach the players the game. They aren’t always called a tutorial. Instead they are more fluid.

And the GUI in df will always be a hurdle and it is mostly optimized in my opinion before you pass the gray line and start limiting vets on what depth they can go into on their binds. If we had good new player missions aka content than we can have npcs teach the players.

#14 aparks, Feb 11, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  15. Sero

Sero Gnoll Vilegaunt
    Loyal Legend

[​IMG]

This UI functions for the most part, but GOD DAMN its fucking annoying to understand lol.

Even more annoying when fucking windows and shit keep getting reset on you, like OP said. I bet you the fucking paperdoll dissapearing after every loading screen has caused more people to say "nope" to this game then the hardest griefers. lelelelelelel

Fengor and Sameog like this.
  16. Sameog

Sameog Deadeye
    Legend

Let me spell it out for people...

Other peoples bindings seem weird because you already learned to play this game with your own unique bindings. There are unlimited fucking combinations for bindings in this game. That doesn't mean that we can't settle on something for the default! People can adapt to literally any binds that they play and practice with consistently. The key is PRACTICE. And the sooner a noob starts practicing their spell rotations the better. Don't make newbies go through the pain of going through the spell book and dragging 100 fucking spells and setting binds through the aids GUI. It is an impossible task if you don't already know what the spells do and what is good and what is useless. Thats not even to mention that you literally can't even drag spells until you UNLOCK THEM. WHY THE FUCK DO WE FORCE PEOPLE TO SHOOT MOBS FOR 3 HOURS BEFORE THEY CAN EVEN SET UP THEIR BINDS!?!?!?!?

STOP TELLING ME "HURR DURR EVERYONES GOT UNIQUE BINDS HURR DURR"

aparks and WithoutShame like this.