Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Easy Visual Updates

Discussion in 'Game Design Discussion' started by EleTaylorScoob, Feb 25, 2021.

1. EleTaylorScoob

EleTaylorScoob Akathar
    Supporter

Hi,

I have a few questions. I've been looking through resources in the DF standalone client and had a few questions.

Texture mesh DDS, BMP and even JPG files:
    A lot of ground textures, trees, building walls, etc are pretty small pixel counts (something like 500x500)

*Can these be higher res since the client will downscale them depending on whatever resolution the player chooses?
    *Can they be replaced entirely? There are literally flat stock jpeg photos of apples and other foods in barrels for example.

#1 EleTaylorScoob, Feb 25, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  2. MikeJT

MikeJT Black Knight
    Supporter

I think you'll find that was done to keep texture memory budget very low. The game started development in 2001 and a 1 GB card was considered top end when the game came out. The first card I played the game on was a GTX 9600 which was a 2008 model with 512 MB.

There was probably people playing on older systems with 256 MB or even 128 MB.

Even if textures were upgraded, the games only a 32 bit client, meaning it won't be long before the game runs out of memory.

Ie. They would need to go through and convert to 64 before being able to up-res too many textures, or they'll hit memory limits.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  3. Xipos<3

Xipos<3 Stormgraive
    Legend

not that hard to test this yourself. Add a new image to replace the old one with the same filename

4. Neilk

Neilk Web Development & System Admin
    Staff Member Team Lead

All of the ground textures have been updated and many more to be higher resolution and have normal maps. If you look at both side by side you will notice a big difference especially with 'Post Processing' turned on.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  5. EleTaylorScoob

EleTaylorScoob Akathar
    Supporter

If it were that easy I wouldn't have asked, I tried replacing a sand tile and even the mipmaps but it just ended up scrapping the entire texture. Then tried to put a red X on the Male Ork's back and it stripped the entire torso model to its pink base. I'm sure there's some sort of packing I was supposed to do but I'm a video/photo guy not a 3D modeling guy.

That makes total sense and yes I play 1440p, shadows, & post processing all on. I assumed you guys probably did but was curious if those were limitations at all. Ibis was nice enough to stream some world building last night and it really helped to better understand what you guys were handed to work with :tearsofjoy:. Would love to see more so we're not throwing out "land of make believe" ideas that aren't feasible (ie: instanced arenas or hellgate dungeons).

One last question:
    *Does ROA have color LUT's as part of it's post processing?

Thanks for taking some time to reply btw.

6. Arwill

Arwill Game Engine Developer
    Staff Member Developer Legend

Just noticed this post.

No it does not have LUT's, but it was under consideration. There is a legacy semi-HDR system which you can observe on glowing armor pieces when post-processing is enabled. The issue is that LUT's would have to work nicely together with environment color. It would practically need to replace the environment color, which depends on location, daytime, weather, etc. So it means whole lot of worldbuilding to define areas, replace the environment system with one that works with LUT's instead of a fixed environment color.

KingLlama likes this.