Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Embers of War expansion

Discussion in 'Design Discussions' started by Andrew, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Dartemiss

Dartemiss Air Elemental
    Legend

To be clear.

I don't care about a Character Wipe or personal gear ect.

It's only Dragon Cannons and siege material that matters for me.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    Sero likes this.
  2. Sintan

Sintan Black Knight
    Affluent Legend

you need some? i'll give you a loan

Sero likes this.
  3. Battle Smurf

Battle Smurf Oak Lord
    Legend

A wipe wouldn't be FOR you or I (although we too would benefit indirectly) it's about maximizing the new / returning player surge and correcting the broken foundation

And if the powers that be don't understand that by now there's no point in me trying to explain why it's the ideal play from both a marketing and ingame standpoint... so I will NOT be mentioning it again in further posts.

I don't give a fuck about gear or character stats on a personal level. If I decide to commit to the game I will inately end up with everything I NEED very quickly...

But I will never again do that UNTIL/UNLESS population raises to 2,000 concurrent minimum

NOBODY fools The Smurf 6 times in a row!

Atticus Killbane likes this.
  4. Jean-Claude

Jean-Claude Spellgazer
    Legend

Mmmmm. All looks like good stuff. Hope im not in a retirement home by the time it gets implemented.
    Andrew, buy your staff some cases of Red Bull and Cheetos.

quietnoobz likes this.
  5. Animal

Animal Eodrin
    Hero

@Battle Smurf A wipe does nothing other than further alienate the newer players coming to the game by creating the largest character and gear disparity to date.

New players don't have a properly formed sentiment about the game for the wipe to matter to them. You're making a suggestion with hope that it draws from the same evaporating pool.

....You're clueless.

6. Shadow-Demon

Shadow-Demon Goblin Warlord
    Legend

Most the ppl I've seen wanting a wipe don't or haven't even played the game lol. The thing is there isn't really a need for a wipe the only reason so much shit got built up in ppl's banks is because there was no competition over spawns because lack of population. If we had a surge of ppl back into the game i guarantee the shit would spread out pretty quickly with ppl dying and bags switching hands more often. I know if there was EVER a wipe me and my friends would be done with this game because it just shows the devs don't know how to address the root problem (population). Best thing to do is add in new mats when tcs comes and hope we get a surge in pop so the gear and wealth gets spread out more.

7. Featherbeans

Featherbeans Infernal
    Contributor Hero

Just one little big question: are you even thinking about releasing this expansion without ironing out the actual defects of the game? Cause more than a couple of years have passed since BPG put their hands on the game...

I'll mention a couple of classics
    1. Staff double jump
    2. Crouching in tight corners inside dungeons, with a wall above and close to your head, so you can pan the camera and see through geometry
    @Andrew Do we have use the most memetized interview on the net (that spanish guy with no teeth) with subtitles outlining these kinds of defects so you guys do really iron them out?

If they are FEATURES, just tell US and i'll stop mentioning them.
    Come on, man...

P.S.: Just make staff double jump a specialization like magic shield or something :p

8. Zuul Ghat

Zuul Ghat Dire Zombie
    Legend

Jump archery and jump casting should be baseline period. Increase the cost of stamina drain if you need to balance it.

9. nightblighter

nightblighter Gravelord
    Patron

“Nobody fools The Smurf 6 times in a row” Is probably a statement we should all spend more time contemplating, but I fear it is too late for me. Darkfall will fool me to my grave.

10. Crunchbert

Crunchbert Undead Dwarf

A wipe is a good way to punish the people who didnt quit on the game. and honestly most of the people who say they would return for a wipe would quit again just like they already did.

The Red King and Johhny Mad Dog like this.
  11. Angelos_Sanguinum

Angelos_Sanguinum Skeleton Archer

It is always about "mah pixels in the box", hah. Majority wants to keep their pixels.

[​IMG]

Here is another angle: some of pvpers will be camping in an arena and not going out in the open world. Because now there is no point to seek pvp in the open world, waste loads of time and lose gear pixels. You just giving them ability to avoid roaming. Thats why open world pvp in mmorpgs arena games sucks so much - there is no point in it.

12. Auron

Auron Celestial
    Hero

after some weeks the old players have again the bank full of rares ecc wipe isnt a good solution...
    new players need a big safe island ( like seelie ) for learn to play this game ....preset bindings for warrior and mage ( whit all the skills binded ) and many safe area for farming whitout lost the gear....simplify enchanting....

Sameog, Methodico and The Red King like this.
  13. Xipos<3

Xipos<3 Stormgraive
    Legend

Is combat being changed in some way? Or is it the same old spell rotation? I'd play this if it wasn't for the plain old copy-paste combat. If it's getting changed, good!

Slayven likes this.
  14. Magos

Magos Windlord
    Supporter Contributor

My least fav part is the 1v1 arena. Firstly, its a shame to make this open world game more instanced, secondly, can you give me an example of a game where 1v1 dueling has been super popular and successful?
    What makes you think ppl will want to duel 1v1 more in the dueling pits than they already are by meeting up anywhere they want?
    My advice BPG: forget about 1v1 dueling arenas, do group queue dueling or nothing.

15. Animal

Animal Eodrin
    Hero

Asheron's Call, Diablo II, Dark Age of Camelot, Star Wars Galaxies, World of Warcraft, e. (Notice that most of the games I listed were.... surprise surprise... sandbox games!)

I hope you're aware that what's required to do a 1v1 arena... is nearly identical to any number beyond that(with the size of the area being the main limitation).

16. The Red King

The Red King Black Knight
    Loyal Legend

Umm you forgot UO...
    Tons of people would queue for dueling. Would be amazing if you can choose full loot or not / best of 3 / 5 etc and maybe wager option.

17. Magos

Magos Windlord
    Supporter Contributor

actually like none of those games you listed had 1v1 arenas built in with a queue type full ranking arena system for 1v1 fights. AC sure as hell didn't n that was my first mmo...IF ONLY these devs had the creativity AC devs did.

My concern is the dev time to program a new queue ranking system for 1v1 fights, and the possibility of it sucking like the MO one did and it just being a huge waste of everyones time. Its just not a direction I'm personally a fan of the game going in.

MaxiHori likes this.
  18. Crunchbert

Crunchbert Undead Dwarf

I'm personally against a arena system. Theres either 2 outcomes. Its dead content like the one in mortal online, and is a massive waste of dev time. Or people stop roaming because they can duel all day, hurting the game.

Not_Primetime likes this.
  19. Animal

Animal Eodrin
    Hero

People roam in Darkfall? The game has, on average, ~2 ganks on Agon Metrics per day.

The game doesn't have a population to sustain open world roaming anymore. An arena provides a much needed service at this point(And makes the game streamable to garner a competitive viewership/playerbase - which is the most important thing for any game that wants to be successful online).

I should also point out that the systems to implement an arena are already in-place(Assuming they haven't been trolling us and have a working world builder that can handle asset binding, etc).

They can just put random sized arenas up in the air or underground, use pre-existing assets with their collision meshes, etc as walls to the arena, implement a simple GUI that allows people to be added to a queue that has some max size, port the players on each side to a preset staging area with a short timer(similar to WoW), when one side forfeits or loses(forfeit can be a GUI option aka a leave arena button) then the ELO calculations are done(they can just steal the basics of a functional ELO system from any open source material available), and then port the players back to their original location prior to the beginning of the match.

They don't need to fully implement all the features from the start(stat tracking ,etc). They just need the basics of it to be put on the test server, then pushed to live after sufficient testing by QA and the playerbase.

Website integration ,etc can come at a later date.

#79 Animal, Nov 1, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
    Biceps and Sameog like this.
  20. MaxiHori

MaxiHori Gravelord

none of those had a 1vs1 arena, instead the all had a teleport mechanism to bring you closer to the war zone.

1 - teleport between blues and owned cities
    2 - remove runes and the board

that's it, you got elder scroll online with a better combat mechanics, then add a bit of pvp token rewards like wow to reduce the tedium and you will have a fully populated server.
    That or you can wait another couple of years to get tcs in a somehow complete state and add more grind like 150 stats potion or any other bad ideas