Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Enabling one hand for combat.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Borracha (Glandurim), Jul 12, 2018.

1. Borracha (Glandurim)

There are two types of players in the sandbox:
    (1group) Majority = those who seek a representation of table rpg in a digital game
    (2group) Minority: those who play only in order to outperform other players by demonstrating their skills.

For many years this game keeps errors that have driven away many players rolle play game (that is the overwhelming majority of sandbox players) darkfall has never been what it was proposed to be and so it has always been a public failure, since its beginning gradually the game was becoming more and more a great arena, proof of this is that the developers do not care about the balance of weapons, with the valorization of the craft, with content that contributes to a greater usefulness of the spots of mob (pve well elaborated), etc. ...

In the beginning when this game was released, after a few months people began to understand that fighting with one hand + shield was something that would lead to failure in combat so there were many requests for improvements on this style of combat, something else that was asked by this majority of RPGamers players was the possibility of playing in the assassin style, so they asked to create the dagger for the game (the company met this request even though the dagger's range was too small).

In the end they did not make changes to to make one hand + shield feasible for combat, and the dagger in spite of being made was poorly balanced, and for those small details and others mentioned above the game was being abandoned.
    I come here one more did try to leave this share of players who like to play with one hand + shield satisfied. Why is onehand not feasible for combat?
    The fact that its range is very short compared to the damage and reach that the 2h provides, to make one hand stop being just a weapon to mount or parry we need changes.
    Way to do it: make the reach and speed of 1h equal to 2h.

Disadvantage: We know that the shield offers an advantage over the user of 2h, so we must make the damage of 1h be (maybe 25%?) Less than that of 2h.
    The crucial factor is that 1h needs a range and speed equal to 2h and less damage than hers. It is important to understand that in an action game like Roa that it is not possible to use the tab + tagert to hit, some factors about reality must be forgotten to the detriment of fun, it is true that in real life 1h is less than 2h, this in-game action did not make things balanced.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    #1 Borracha (Glandurim), Jul 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    Wes Furtive, Dixie Normus and tonnirs like this.
  2. Sorrow Avaritia

Hero

You really need to structure your writing better, no1 will read that wall of text.

Borracha (Glandurim) likes this.
  3. Borracha (Glandurim)

I edited, maybe it's better now, I'll try to improve.

4. Sorrow Avaritia

Hero

Much better now.

If you changed it to how you said most people would prob use 1hder. Sorry but I disagree with your post, it is nice to have variance in weapons and a reason to use each weapon, daggers fulfill a couple of rolls really well, low pingers can use them to do a lot of damage while running at people, high pingers can use them as a counter to melee pushers (as in the people who just run at you with melee, not the people who try to out hit you) so I do not think they need to be changed.

1 handed don't really have their own role other than mounted combat which no one does (which is very strong if you get good at it), and to parry (which isn't really its own role just allowing you to use a shield), so 1h weapons should be changed, however there are a couple of problems with realism (yes I know there is magic in the game, but its kind of different having a tiny sword having the same reach as a large one) and balance.

I think the best way to balance a 1h weapon would be to make parry faster, that way a 1her could parry in between swings against a 2hder.

5. Borracha (Glandurim)

I did not say that most people would use 1h, I said that there were many people who left the game because they could not use 1h + shield or play assassin style efficiently.

I reported that in the past the dagger had been implemented with a very low range, I was referring to a long time ago with Venturine, the daggers have a good balance now!

I believe that even with the fastest blocking at 1h it would not achieve the consistency necessary to be an option in the hands of those who kill and live in a fight, 2h would still have great advantage 1h sonreas for the reason of being easier to continue the damage ) the one hand would still be inconsistent, doing what you propose would not change the fact that 99% of the server continues using 2h believe me.

We should not for a reality detail about fun, 1hand a decent range, decrease its damage compared to 2h, so you will have a balance and two large groups of happy players, leave as is and make one group of happy players and another outside about the game.

#5 Borracha (Glandurim), Jul 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  6. Sorrow Avaritia

Hero

I played DND and had around 30 ping on that, and they had a more reactive parry system there. Your parry would happen really fast over there, however it drained a lot of stam and if you held it down to long you would receive more damage, so it was better to try and parry only when u are about to get hit.

It was hard in chaotic group fights, but in 1v1s if I was really paying attention I could hit with a 1h weapon and then parry the 2h swing, then hit them again, parry again and so on, it was really consistent if you had the timing right and the ping to do it, although squanto did do it with fairly high ping so maybe it wasn't that ping reliant.

If you were paying enough attention you could also notice the difference between the animation of a normal swing and disabling blow so you could release your parry so it didn't disable you. If they noticed that, they could cancel their disabling blow with their own parry. I think this part of it was very ping reliant.

Anyway my point is that DND gave 1h weapons a place using this method and I was one of the changes I actually liked about the game, I just couldn't deal with the local banking + no fast travel.

Dixie Normus likes this.