Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Enchanting

Discussion in 'Game Design Discussion' started by Ron Mexico, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Ron Mexico

Ron Mexico Fire Elemental
    Legend

I saw something really discouraging while watching a newer player stream the other day. He had all his enchanting mats all over his bank, didn't know what they were for, and would randomly give his enchant mats to clan mates or friends to pick through and give him money for anything they wanted, all because he didn't understand enchanting or how to do it and what the mats were for.

I did a few enchants and quickly remembered how bad it is. Enchanting really needs some love in the form of a ui rework. It is far too important to pvp in this game to not be readily available and understood by everyone.

Some things I think that really need to be done:

1. When you open enchanting crafting window it needs to show all possible enchants in the same way weaponsmithing shows all the weapons you can make - with ingredient, requirements, gold costs, etc. listed. There is no mystery to enchanting anymore, unless you are a new player of course and don't realize third party websites are required.
    2. Each enchant should have a brief description of what it does and what it can be enchanted on. Throw new players a bone here so they can see what enchants are possible at least.
    3. We need the ability to do more than 1 enchant at a time similar to weaponsmithing crafting 10 swords at a time I should be able to craft 10 enchanted gems at a time. I'm not sure how it would work with non-stackables but I wish there was a way to drop a bag of bone chests in there and do 10 at once. This is honestly the worst part about enchanting, you have to manually insert mats for each enchant.
    4. Consider SLIGHTLY altering some of the mats required for the most used enchants so they do not overlap. For example, cinder is used for keen and feather creating an uneven demand for cinder while there are some mats that are rarely used. No need to change all recipes, just maybe replace some of the doubled up mats used in the most common enchants.

calcal112, Tuloth, KoKane and 5 others like this.
  2. Biceps

Biceps Infernal
    Legend

yes please to all of this

3. Scrubby Bear

Scrubby Bear Eodrin
    Hero

I don't think all enchanting mats should be equal. Its good that there are some that are much more valuable than the rest. It makes those mobs more contested and valuable.

I do think some enchants should be changed as well.

1. Slayers should become PvE only, the effects they have on TTKs in PvP aren't good. They could also add more slayers so that every mob is effected by at least one.
    2. Stat enchants need secondary effects that make them worth using even end game when you can self buff cap your stats. These effects should be utility. Example: strength enchant increases carry weight. Wisdom enchant increases harvesting/skinning speed. Dex enchant decreases mount/ship/hulk pack up speed. Vit enchant increases the duration of food buffs. Int enchant increases skill/stat gains from PvE activities. Stuff like that.
    3. Transmutes need to be tweaked to be competitive for more things, but they shouldn't be so good for 'recycling'. The dura you gain from enchanting a low dura weapon should probably be nerfed if the combat effectiveness of transmutes is increased. Also transmutes should be changed to follow the same damage cap rules as regular weapons. Its dumb af that they can bypass the cap by being 2 damage chunks instead of one.

WyLd_SyDe likes this.
  4. Down Syndrome

Down Syndrome Fire Elemental
    Legend

Due to the extremely limited amount of enchants you can wear I still don't think that makes it worth using stat enchants. Maybe your idea for the int enchant but only while grinding. Not sure about the vit, but don't all races cap at 120/116 for 450hp?

Personally I'd like to see protection enchants buffed a bit. As it stands it's a q3.6 for 3 to protections I think it should be more in line with q1 = 1, q2 = 2, q3 = 3, and so on. q4 and q5 protection enchants would be better than a selfbuff at that point. Honestly I think all q4+ enchants should be better than a selfbuff equivalent.

5. Scrubby Bear

Scrubby Bear Eodrin
    Hero

q45 is better than self buff already. Most self buffs at max level and int are only like 3.5 @ 0 encumbrance and a high end staff. I think in beta the highest stone skin I ever had was like 3.6 or 3.7 protections. A full q5 protection enchant is around 4.45

6. Down Syndrome

Down Syndrome Fire Elemental
    Legend

Q4 is not better than a self buff it's about 3.25 average, Q5 is like 4.15 average. If you're going to invest literally hundreds of times the cost(more importantly the time investment to acquire mats) compared to the spell shouldn't it be quite a bit better? If it did go to 5 for q5 it's not really a game breaking difference, but it does make it more worth the investment imo.

7. Scrubby Bear

Scrubby Bear Eodrin
    Hero

I am a q5 enchanter. I literally just did a full q5 fire enchant to verify and it was 4.45

Also no, it should not be better. Its going to be typically used by destroyers which are already tanky enough. Buffing those enchants would be yet another buff to destroyers, which were in a balanced state in DFO before all of RoA's small buffs. The enchant is also of unlimited duration which must be taken into account in balance. You don't have to cast it before a fight either.

8. WyLd_SyDe

WyLd_SyDe Spellgazer
    Legend

I love the idea of secondary perks for the stat enchants, that's a great way to make them worth it without going over the top. +1 scrubby I always knew you were for more than just making me arcane jewelry :sunglasses:

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  9. Ron Mexico

Ron Mexico Fire Elemental
    Legend

I'd be up for any of the changes listed, but the UI needs to be looked at first and foremost for the sake of vets and new players. It's aids for anyone trying to level enchanting or help clanmates with enchants due to how tedious it is. A new player can quickly learn and be able to craft a sword or armor, but enchanting almost seems like it doesn't exist for new players because the UI lacks all info and it is extremely clunky. Even if people don't use enchanting early it should be really clear what it does, mats used, and how to do it early on since it is so crucial to pvp and pve. Some new players probably have endless keen and stam efficiency mats and could be q1 enchating all their gear except for the fact that they don't get it and probably just sell or let their mats rot.

calcal112 likes this.