Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Estimated Launch Size?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LordPest, Apr 28, 2017.

1. kilrain

kilrain Shadow Knight
    Staff Member Developer Team Lead

Splitting is fixed. Will work on the other when the chance happens.

2. Korag

Korag Evil Eye
    Hero

I disagree whole heartedly, it will not be listed under Unholy wars, so people unless retarded will clearly see it is a different game and considering it wont cost more than 10$ to try it we will likely see many new players come in through steam, doing nothing however will assure less potential players.
    --- Post updated ---
    I was thinking about the OP comments/question prior to seeing this post, I was looking at total subs on the forum being over 14k, I realize some try hards have more than one forum account and some just wanna be sneaky for whatever reason but 14+k is a lot and at even half of that were looking pretty healthy at launch.

3. Neilk

Neilk Web Development & System Admin
    Staff Member Team Lead

These sites aren't really accurate, our analytics numbers look way different than these. Multiple times higher it's not even close. Also we're currently sitting around 59% of website visitors are from the US.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    Fengor, Vic, Finnad and 1 other person like this.
  4. SupDude

SupDude Gravelord
    Legend

@Neilk any words about when the stress test gonna be ?

Battle Smurf likes this.
  5. Battle Smurf

Battle Smurf Oak Lord
    Legend

Bruh I need to set up my keybinds before launch hook me up

6. Neilk

Neilk Web Development & System Admin
    Staff Member Team Lead

Currently in final stages of server setup. When that's done we should be able to pick a day and time for stress test.

7. Vic

Vic Spellgazer
    Legend

Thanks man, that's good to hear!

8. Avarious

Avarious Wildtribe Mage
    Supporter

thanks for the update! communication communication communication. Love it

Korag likes this.
  9. Bearo Dactyl

Bearo Dactyl Crypt Guard
    Legend

It actually wasn't worth it for UW to get on greenlit. Because having your game on steam they get 30% off the top of your sales. I hope ROA treads lightly on this, until the game is rdy to be on steam

http://steamcharts.com/app/227400
    825 all time peak, and I had a bunch of friends playing via steam. Not all new players

Fengor likes this.
  10. Sza

Sza Goblin Scout

Appreciate you guys communicating with the masses - id say that's one of the most important things not to forget that many other companies actively choose not to do or just dont prioritize at all.

Kudos for that! And looking forward to the stress-test, just need to taste Agon a little bit... just a bite.. a small nibble to get the hype to calm itself.. ;)

11. The Boss

The Boss Skeleton Archer

But that's 70% more revenue they most likely wouldn't have had if it wasn't on steam.

Korag likes this.
  12. Bearo Dactyl

Bearo Dactyl Crypt Guard
    Legend

True. But those numbers were always so low. I think most were vets that were gonna buy the game either way. It wasn't very effective at keeping new players in the game

What i'm saying is, I don't think it would've been hard to get those type of numbers via alternative marketing. Then AV could of kept full profit and maybe pay their employees xD

Fengor likes this.
  13. Korag

Korag Evil Eye
    Hero

I was thinking about the OP comments/question his post, I was looking at total subs on the forum being over 14k, I realize some try hards have more than one forum account and some just wanna be sneaky for whatever reason but 14+k is a lot and at even half of that were looking pretty healthy at launch.
    I think reviews played a big part in that, If I see a game with a lot of bad reviews I generally skip it and keep going

Bearo Dactyl likes this.
  14. Andrew

Andrew Eodrin
    Staff Member BPG Representative

This is our concern because DF is a niche game and even though we've fixed much of the core issues the GUI and older graphics/animations give a bad impression to next gen gamers. The game is very fun and we think it has huge potential however we don't feel that a steam launch at the present time would be beneficial. We will look to get it on steam in the future if/when we feel it's a good fit for the game.

Korag likes this.
  15. Ninogan

Ninogan Undead Dwarf
    Legend

Putting it up on Greenlight and you'll be greenlit in less than a week. Getting something on Steam is easy but like Bearo said it doesn't mean you'll get tons of sales right away. DF being under the mmo section is a big plus since a lot of people that check that section is starved for something unique but at the same time a lot of steam mmo'ers are used to f2p. This game needs to look damn attractive for the steam users to just jump on it and it's light years away from having a chance at being successful on steam imo.

Valve has announced they will be removing greenlight as we know it though and the new iteration could be as much as like 5k which isn't so bad but only a 100 bucks which it costs these days is unbeatable so if you wanna get DF onto steam cheap it may be a good idea not to drag your feet too much @Andrew

Fengor likes this.
  16. kilrain

kilrain Shadow Knight
    Staff Member Developer Team Lead

It's difficult to find actual numbers with steam, but everything I've researched indicates approximately 30% from all sales including those not from within steam itself. So it absolutely depends on the contract and we would be treading very lightly when we consider that route.

17. Ninogan

Ninogan Undead Dwarf
    Legend

I've been part of launching a few games on steam and it's never been that high. It's a varying number based on a bunch of factors. RoA may not at all have to suffer a 30% cut.

Fengor likes this.
  18. Quin Tessence

Quin Tessence Black Knight
    Legend

The Only Problem with Steam is the first thing people will see when they type "Darkfall" is going to be this.

[​IMG]

Someone should really buy UW and just transfer assets over if that is even possible.

19. Super Star

Super Star Oak Lord
    Legend

Definitely gotta give credit to their art guys. They are the only thing the game had going for them

20. The Boss

The Boss Skeleton Archer

I agree they could have got some numbers from alternative marketing but if the game wants to reach a larger audience steam is the way to go regardless of the % cut steam takes. Also I think steam reaches an audience you wouldn't otherwise reach without a major marketing budget for advertisements etc. Obviously steam isn't going to make people stick to the game but immediately when it goes on steam it gets a ton more exposure and if it does well it can truly thrive. AV wasn't paying their employees long before and long after the steam release so I doubt that would have changed. Company was all kinds of fucked.