Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Everything wrong with parrying

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by apophis, Jun 23, 2017.

1. apophis

apophis Goblin Warlord
    Legend

I play destro and I use my sword and board a lot. I'm always trying to save that last .05 seconds and get that parry out asap to block my opponents next spell. This area of combat feels the most clunky and I'm constantly being hit with stuff that I feel should be blockable if the sword and board mechanics were cleaned up a bit.

Lets start with autoparry

After you complete an action(like a spell for instance), there's a delay of around .2 seconds before you can parry, but there's no delay on being able to switch to sword + board. The result is that if I click + hold my autoparry key to block immediately after my spell cast, I will simply take out my s+b and stand there looking at my opponent as he rays me in the face. The s+b worked fine but the parry command was sent during the delay and the game just ignores it.

Maybe make us unable to take out a s+b in this .2 seconds? maybe queue the parry so it actually starts parrying the moment you're able to instead of needing to release your parry key and hit it again?

Next up is sword + board on same key functionality

Really great that you can bind both of these to the same key like you couldn't in dfo, but it has problems. The key appears to act just like old dfo scripts used to - it sends the command to take out your sword then a fraction of a second later sends a command to take out your shield. What happens with this is if I'm too early on my s+b timing by .1 seconds it will send the sword command while I'm still in my previous action and thus ignore the command and then proceed to send the board command resulting in me equipping my shield and sheathing my weapons because you can't use just a shield.

There's many fixes for this, ideally the s+b hotkey would be treated as a single item and it wouldn't allow me to take out just my shield. Or you can queue the actions within a small window prior to the appropriate timing(so if i'm early by .1 seconds the game will forgive me and just queue the actions the moment i'm actually allowed to do so. Or they can allow us to actually unsheathe and parry with just a shield - no sword required(it's pretty silly i need a sword to use my shield)

And finally in between all these very specific timings there is a third result which occurs when you send the autoparry command at just the perfect as-soon-as-possible timing. Your s+b comes out, you start parrying, but you just did it too damn perfectly and the animation doesn't show on your screen(s+b is out but your arms are down and look inactive) but you actually are parrying and draining stam appropriately. This is really the most trivial of the situations as everything is still working properly, you just don't get the benefit of a proper parrying animation.

These aren't rare instances, i run into each of these situations dozens of times every day, and while parrying QoL changes probably won't be looked into soon, i just wanted to bring it to attention.

The Red King and RootedOak like this.
  2. Wes Furtive

Wes Furtive Obsidian Golem
    Legend

Mine is smooth and seemless with no delay every single time. My shield comes out parrying and doesn't even have a weapon switch animation.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    NonFactor and Scrapnotcrap like this.
  3. apophis

apophis Goblin Warlord
    Legend

yes if are you old and have slow reactions and just add 1 second to everything i mentioned above then you'll never have a problem.

but i'm constantly trying to save that last .05 seconds because it can be the difference between taking 3dmg and 40dmg.

RootedOak likes this.
  4. Brown Dorf

Brown Dorf Goblin Warlord

There's already a version of df that has responsive combat. Leave this one alone

#4 Brown Dorf, Jun 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
    Bear Forcefour and kilrath81 like this.
  5. Kilset

Kilset Black Knight
    Hero

I just sat at my keyboard and spammed it with every possible action trying to intentionally fuck up the auto parry and I was successful 1 time (only shield came out). The issue is most likely tied to low pingers.

6. Tuloth

Tuloth Infernal
    Loyal Hero

While I basically consider what you're describing a non issue, it does hearken the larger need for some sort of ability queuing system.

7. Scrapnotcrap

Scrapnotcrap Eodrin
    Loyal Hero

After rex's vidéo against a golem (and I personally thank him for that), I lose nothing when i go up against them.

Shield&swoed parry never failed on me once after the whole server lag fix and it's smooth.

8. kilrain

kilrain Shadow Knight
    Staff Member Developer Team Lead

Now that the server is running good, the ghost casts code fixed and we have other optimizations in place, like parry, we'll be adding short queues to actions. This will not speed anything up, as we feel the speed of the actions are fine. What this will do instead is allow you to press an action slightly sooner than you would normally be able to and it will carry through when ready rather than ignoring it and requiring an additional press.

9. thorinhood

thorinhood Skeleton Archer

Thank god.. it's so annoying when I hit my melee weapon button, click to swing but it doesn't switch and I end up casting an unwanted spell/arrow while in melee range.

10. DarkGhost25

DarkGhost25 Black Knight
    Loyal Contributor Hero

That sounds FUCKING AWESOME!!!!! Good job! That will make combat much more fluid.

11. apophis

apophis Goblin Warlord
    Legend

amazing! :hearteyes:

12. Khazgol

Khazgol Deadeye
    Hero

An extremely good change... that a lot of people have been getting shit on for advocating for. Seriously though, awesome ping for NA players, coupled with this single change adds a metric crap-ton of staying power for RoA.

13. kilrath81

kilrath81 Black Knight
    Lifetime Legend

been having occasions where i pull my sword and board but for some reason the board portion of the equation is lost... end up trying to block with my 1h and no shield.

Brown Dorf likes this.
  14. MikeJT

MikeJT Black Knight
    Supporter

What's your ping?

I don't use Auto-Parry for this precise reason, but I have a high ping.

Anyone with a low ping shouldn't experience this.

What I think is happening is that you're sending the command to parry before the server has confirmed that you've actually taken out your sword and board.

That's my theory anyway.

Making things server authoritive in this way reduces hacking but slows things down for high ping players.

If you ping is 100 ms plus, that's probably why this is happening.

15. NonFactor

NonFactor Forest Golem
    Wealthy Affluent Legend

same