Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

f2p model idea

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tanto, Dec 6, 2017.

1. tanto

tanto Dire Zombie

What if you created a f2p model where you have a certain # of stat points and certain # of skill points you can use. With the skill points you can only use them on combat oriented skills. So if you wanted to you could create a badass mage, but you'll be super squishy and maybe not so great at wielding a melee weapon because your stats/skills are limited.

You also prevent people from creating free crafting or gathering alts. The only free characters will be for PVP.

I'd be down to jack around in the game, but I'm not going to be invested enough to make paying for it worth it.

Why not have a f2p model for some population boost while not losing any paid revenue to people who are invested in the game? And giving a clear upper hand to people who pay for an account, but not totally limiting the f2p to be decent in combat.

2. Nat

Nat Shadow Knight
    Legend

That's basically Pay 2 Win bro. Though I'm certainly not against disabling advanced crafting on free accounts.

Lucan likes this.
  3. kilrain

kilrain Shadow Knight
    Staff Member Developer Team Lead

That's where "Freemium" comes into play. It's a subscription based game with the ability to play for free with restrictions. That's not pay 2 win. We don't have any specifics dialed in yet, but a freemium model of some kind will likely be where we end up.

4. Nat

Nat Shadow Knight
    Legend

In regards to OP's suggestion, paying for access to a better character in PvP is pay to win. I don't disagree with the idea of freemium and F2P but there's a fine line that should be tread on lightly.

Andrew likes this.
  5. Rimamok

Rimamok Spellgazer
    Legend

There are lots of Freemium restrictions that wouldn’t be Pay2Win:
    - can’t bind in houses
    - can’t be promoted to Captain or higher
    - slower piloting of ships and Warhulks
    - can’t do Advanced Crafting
    Etc

These items would be just inconvenient enough to encourage subbing from those that can afford it. Overall pop would see a nice gain, just like MO did.

And then Vanity Shop for the rich bastards!

6. kilrain

kilrain Shadow Knight

My apologies, I was under the impression he was using "limited skill points" as a way of describing the inability to craft. As in you would only have the skillpoints available for pvp and that's it.

7. tanto

tanto Dire Zombie

in this case I don't feel like pay to win is a problem. Ideally you want people to actually pay at some point. To me not being able to be a captain or own a house or whatever doesn't matter. I wouldn't ever care about those things. If you let me build a full pvp character you probably never get money from me.

If you let me build a decent pvp character with some limitations I might end up paying from time to time. Sieges, towers, whatever might just foce me to go pay 10 bucks so I can have my full pvp potential unlocked for various events.

You also don't want people who have multiple accounts to not need to pay for the multiple accounts.

obviously have to play with the numbers so that it's still at least fun for a free character, and I think they should be able to build a pvp character that doesn't get automatically stomped.

Wizard of Yndor likes this.
  8. Korag

Korag Evil Eye
    Hero

first 2 are not a hindrance at all with rune books and being a captain doesn't do anything one way or another other than adding a 3rd tier to the clan bank.
    Slower boats is a bad idea the idea of freemium is to limit them from all benefits in some way of being a subscriber and this just put people at a pvp disadvantage and could turn people off add a pay to win aspect. 4th is a good one though.

9. Nerfsy

Nerfsy Goblin Warlord

Smaller bank space/backpack & lose the ability to; Sprint on mounts, Use dungeons, Use Runebook's/Portals, Capital/house recall, Wield/Craft mastery items, Join clans or capture objectives currently in or added to the game. Can try the game out, if you like it, you pay for it or slowly grind up enough gold to buy a GTT.

#9 Nerfsy, Dec 7, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  10. Korag

Korag Evil Eye
    Hero

you want people to join clans cause that increases their interest so would be bad to limit that also limiting sprint is another balance thing where you give an advantage much like a pay to win scenario

11. Nerfsy

Nerfsy Goblin Warlord

No, F2P week was an awesome example as to why F2P players having the ability to join a clan is terrible in a conquest mmorpg. Why add another grief mechanic to darkfall by not doing that, sure it can be countered by the players and clan leaders, but why add another just for the sake of a possible F2P pipe-dream community? If the game doesn't interest someone, why would joining a clan? As for the mount sprint, it'd be good encouragement to become P2P, With the time it takes to farm up 100k, even with those other restrictions, would you really mind not being able to sprint for a week at max? A vets going to drop a new players on a horse sprinting or not lol, Freemium is to let people see if they like the game, not support a community of F2Per's.

12. kilrain

kilrain Shadow Knight

We can easily differentiate free play and premium players if the clan number for sieging is an issue.

13. Rimamok

Rimamok Spellgazer
    Legend

MO had plenty of F2Pers who stuck around in the long term. The time to a maxxed char was about the same as ROA (~2 weeks). And in fact, F2Pers were at an even GREATER PvP disadvantage in MO than is being proposed in this thread.

Some people just don’t have the $20 to sub. Since pop has always been Darkfall’s bane, it seems silly to not encourage a long term F2P model. Just make sure to have a big enough carrot that those who CAN sub, DO sub.
    --- Post updated ---
    Another way to encourage subs and generate revenue:

Whenever a F2P opens up a GUI window (bank, etc), the left 1-2” of their screen are advertisements.

Methodico and Wizard of Yndor like this.
  14. Nerfsy

Nerfsy Goblin Warlord

How did you extrapolate that being an issue, I guess if 100+ f2p player clans were to become a thing.. it could be possibly be an issue for some? I'd really enjoy being able to 1v5 or 15v50 a group of F2P kids in r40s and bonesets as would most. Winning an outnumbered fight is one of the best feelings DF can give you :p

The issue is the ability to create a new account whenever you want with almost no inconvenience other than having to run your new account to the location of your old main to trade banks over or vice versa, why bother with the "previous alias" feature if something like this was in the pipeline & how do you address that issue without a F2P server or something else less drastic?

+1 Always suckers me into paying a sub to get rid of those pesky ads.

15. kilrain

kilrain Shadow Knight

It was the firs thing that came to mind when reading this. Perhaps elaborating more on the issues you foresee would make for better discussion.

16. Nerfsy

Nerfsy Goblin Warlord

How to make mad stacks in Agon;
    1. Name alt
    2. Join clan
    3. Steal from clan
    4. Repeat endlessly because it's now FREE to do

17. kilrain

kilrain Shadow Knight

Gotcha. How do you steal from the clan exactly? One thing we discussed was the rank limitation so preventing people from accessing certain parts of the clan bank or any part for that matter is doable. The main reason for allowing free to play players to join a clan at all would be for the interaction, chat, so anything else as far as I'm concerned could be off limits.

To elaborate on this, if someone were to create a character and say, "Hey it's me on my alt, can you make me an SG?" the individual for whatever reason tries to do that and it doesn't work because they are free to play. They convince them to give them bank access, but no matter what they do it doesn't work because they are free to play.

18. Nerfsy

Nerfsy Goblin Warlord

See this why you're the dev and I'm not, that's a great "less drastic" way of it being done :D

19. Crunchbert

Crunchbert Undead Dwarf

Just call it infinite trial, then its not pay to win.

Some kids will still cry pay to win, but who cares they wouldn't play anyway. All that matters is that with gimped f2p you will still have more nubs coming into the game and possibly staying than no f2p. And its not like the game is on steam for salty kids to go and give a negative review cuz they are salty that they have to pay for a game that was never meant to be free.

I learned about darkfall from new dawn f2p week. And I would prob come try the game out again if there was F2p even if I was gimped, and if I liked the state of the game I would re sub. F2p is well worth investing in.

20. Copperfield

Copperfield Black Knight
    Legend

i think its crucial for the excists of darkfall that this game goes f2p

no restrictions nothing jusy f2p with a cash shop

Or just simply open the cards to the community to keep the server running through donations

Darkfall is meant for 10k players and large battles.. not these 4v4 VCP insta telepoort crap