Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Game Performance

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NonFactor, Apr 17, 2019.

1. Billy Lee

Billy Lee Varangian Warthane
    Team B Lifetime

So I have a small update: Apparently, after taking a break from the game for 8 months or w/e it was I forgot about how the world map affects performance, I've gone back to keeping it closed as often as possible and my performance has been improved immediately. Not sure this will solve all my issues but it's a lot better. I used to open the map habitually every 20-30 seconds, after five minutes of riding I'd already be in trouble.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  2. Thug Life

Thug Life Gravelord
    Hero

Sorta sucks for players that don't know the map off the top of their heads. I assume the vast majority of new players have the map open 24/7

Blaze and Billy Lee like this.
  3. NonFactor

NonFactor Forest Golem
    Wealthy Affluent Legend

4. FirstNameLastNameRpIsCool

Like a few people already said (party bars, map, etc) UI tends to be a performance hog in a lot of indie games, even disregarding more advanced UI logic (map). There is a big industry for UI libs partly due to this, not clue what RoA uses but performance could be improved with a new UI library.

Might or might not be a big job though, might or might not be the main issue. YMMV, profile.

5. Neilk

Neilk Web Development & System Admin
    Staff Member Team Lead

Neilk 05/16/2019
    • Implemented new GUI library to help improve performance and to make updates easier in the future (Please let us know how UI effects your performance after this)

This is on our Public Test Server at the moment, preparing for next patch.

6. FirstNameLastNameRpIsCool

Very cool, thanks for pointing it out.

Could I ask what lib (new or old) you are using or is that something you rather not talk about?

7. Neilk

Neilk Web Development & System Admin
    Staff Member Team Lead

We're using https://github.com/ocornut/imgui

Currently we are just rendering the old GUI with IMGUI, but we will be moving lot's of the functions over to this to improve performance in the long run.

8. FirstNameLastNameRpIsCool

Quite exciting, will be interesting to see the performance when code is migrated :) Seems like a sound choice and that you've done your research.

Thanks for the response.

9. Animal

Animal Eodrin
    Hero

Neilk likes this.
  10. JEDIMind

JEDIMind Frostjarl
    Wealthy

I'm not computer savvy but how did Darkfall back in the day have 200vs200+ sieges and it was fine?

NonFactor likes this.
  11. CreZee

CreZee Windlord
    Loyal Supporter

Darkfall never had 200vs200 sieges that were fine. I distinctly recall having to disable my audio driver in hopes of increasing FPS to about a steady 20, and remember the mass disconnects on the way to the sieges. There'd be mounts just littered all over the place of people just randomly crashing JUST RIDING MOUNTS back then. It was atrocious. lol

12. Scrubby Bear

Scrubby Bear Eodrin
    Hero

I was at a bunch of the early hyperion sieges. The tiq siege was a insane number of people and it still ran about as well as a 55 vs 55 does today on newer and more powerful hardware ignoring the crashing issues. I was using a e6600 conroe with a x1950 pro video card back then and a 8700k with a 1060 now. I have substantially more single core processing power now than I did before and an insane amount more multi core capacity not that its useful at all with this game.

There are a lot of issues that popped up since then. AV redid the sound engine with a notable decrease in performance. They added more performance draining elements to the GUI like party bars and more map icons and the GUI brutalizes your fps even with minimal elements open. Fluff like wildlife and world items like chaos chest/barrels were added along with more spell effects. Everyone uses 100 more abilities than the early sieges which were essentially all archer melee with some lesser magic. A whole mess of bugs that eat performance like spell memory leaks, load lag and asset damage/siege damage causing hitches/stutters that have gone completely unchecked for years now.

13. CreZee

CreZee Windlord
    Loyal Supporter

I had the 1060 for a couple years, it's a pretty terrible graphics card for how much it (used to) cost. I'd be curious what the performance is actually like with a large scale siege of over 300 players in RoA. I highly doubt we'll ever get to test that, though. I do know that with even with my Dell XPS laptop I'm able to get around 80-90 FPS in sieges of up to 80 players without changing anything except turning shadows off and I get over 120 FPS on my PC.

I'd say all in all the performance is much smoother than EU-1 days.

14. JEDIMind

JEDIMind Frostjarl
    Wealthy

Early early on ya it was like that.
    If you can find the Val Roth - Mar Shrall video you could see what 100v100 were like. Look at some old Umberto video, I was in most of those sieges and they were 100+ for sure and I ran fine on a laptop.

Do you remember what happened when RoA launch and we had massed up on Niff? when the sides were split people on the other side were legit disappearing in masses on my screen and many other peoples screens.
    I never seen that till RoA and I been around WAY more people then that in Darkfall 1

15. CreZee

CreZee Windlord
    Loyal Supporter

Ah unfortunately I missed out on RoA launch. I ponied up with New Dawn :(
    Maybe I'm not remembering DF1 sieges very well. It was 10 years ago after all, hah. But I played most of EU-1 from a week after launch up to the ability to make a new character on NA-1 and I don't recall sieging ever being a pleasant experience.

16. Scrubby Bear

Scrubby Bear Eodrin
    Hero

Probably because performance was always bad. It was just less bad back then. I remember even shortly after launch the general consensus was that the game ran really bad for what we got engine and graphics wise even on full potato settings. Single thread performance in CPUs has around doubled since then and we don't really have anything performance wise to show for it. Technology basically just kept up with the performance loss creep is all :(