Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Gear questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sphinxish, Aug 2, 2021.

1. sphinxish

sphinxish Goblin Scout

Hey guys,

I'm returning to RoA after a few years and brought a friend along with me. He's wanting to play "archer". I know there's no specific class in DF, but what is the proper gear for someone who wants to be heavy into archery? I don't see any penalty to archery using banded vs infernal. Am I missing something? Does it even matter?

Thanks!

#1 sphinxish, Aug 2, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
  2. HenkBot

HenkBot Goblin Shaman
    Contributor

Start by going full heavy (meaning all full plate or infernal armor parts) which used to be the meta for a melee pusher.

Then, if you feel your archery isnt damaging enough, start replacing heavy parts with bone armor parts until you feel you have a good balance.

For reference, mage gear is usually 3 heavy armor and 7 bone armor pieces, so most people mix and match until they find a good set up for them.

Dont forget to enchant helmets or rings with the feather enchant, which will allow you to mix in more heavy parts.

Lastly, dont forget to ALWAYS brake for monster booty.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  3. Synna

Synna Black Knight
    Loyal Patron Legend

just have fun, do whatever feels fun

StephenDickens likes this.
  4. Sorrow Avaritia

Hero

Mage gear is usually 4 heavy 6 bone, even people who wanted to focus on mainly using archery would go full heavy or full heavy with a bone chest. I would recommend going full heavy though because of damage ratios. Sure you will do more dmg if you use a bone chest piece over going full heavy but you will also take more dmg. The way the protections work full heavy has more of an advantage over a mage because the percentage wise the few damage points are a bigger increase to the mage than the heavy.

I always thought to myself easy kill when ever I saw a heavy with a bone chest as they just take so much dmg. There is also the stat game, a fully heavy can play defensively and heal up / parry a lot as well as use archery and out stat a mage in a long fight which is one of the better ways for a heavy to beat a mage as backwards as that is. A mage should really out stat a heavy because the spells should be better, but a destro only has to keep 2 stats up and a mage has to keep up 3, and the 3rd one dmgs the mage.

5. StephenDickens

StephenDickens New Member

I completely agree with you. Otherwise, why are we playing !:D

#5 StephenDickens, Aug 5, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
  6. hard2kill

hard2kill Skeleton Archer

The heavier the better. Don't mix match armor, make sure you pick up magekiller and the mana shield one as an archery upgrade. He might as well pick up destroyer.

#6 hard2kill, Aug 6, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2021
  7. Sorrow Avaritia

Hero

He asked for proper gear not whats fun, also I don't see why going full heavy or not and using a bow with both would increase or decrease your fun if u ignore win / lose and people tend to enjoy winning more than losing. Although there are them fights in DF that despite losing you really enjoy.

Unless you are an absolute god with a bow, you are putting yourself at a disadvantage by not going full heavy.

8. Synna

Synna Black Knight
    Loyal Patron Legend

the game is gone, just play whatever feels fun, fotm is well gone and past lol

Bonii likes this.
  9. Sorrow Avaritia

Hero

I don't get your point though, they are basically the same play style.