Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Get me up to speed on this project please =)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Wozno, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Wozno

Wozno Goblin Warlord
    Legend

Ok, so i have read as much as i could find on this, but i probably missed a lot.

Basically, you guys started a company, and is now working on the bringing DFO back under ROA flag, and i read that there is talks about buying the license for DFO from AV, but my question is, why would they sell it as long as they have DF:UW up?

And since you dont have the license, what exactly are you guys "working on"? Also, are you guys doing it as a hobby project, or full time?

I have so so many questions and i almost feel shaky when thinking about being able to play DF again!

thankful for anyones answers and reply's!

Best regards

Wozno Greymist

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    PENETRATOR likes this.
  2. Erock

Erock Varangian Warthane
    Legend

They need money

Doing all we can do without having the actual code, which may actually surprise most people with what's going on on a day to day basis. Acquiring the code hasn't been as simple as okay here's the money give us the code, soon TM. ;)

It's a "volunteer project" at the moment, not because of the time being spent, but as noone is making money, but like I said everyone is doing everything they can and the team has dedicated a tremendous amount of time towards trying to make this a reality. I'm sure everyone would love to make it full time. That depends on if we can provide you with a product you deem worthy enough to give us your hard earned money for.

I hope I'm not overstepping my bounds here, Andrew can give you an 'official' answer, I'm just trying to stay out of trouble :p

Andrew, Fengor and PENETRATOR like this.
  3. Wozno

Wozno Goblin Warlord
    Legend

Sounds great! I really really really hope you guys get to buy the license. This whole thing sounds like a wet dream to me!

Thank you for your answer =)

Once you do, i bet a lot of people would be willing to start paying a subscription to keep things going. Atleast from alpha and forward. I would atleast be willing to do that... Sucks im on parental leave currently and have a lot worse cashflow, otherwise i would be willing to donate some even before alpha...

4. Leg enD

Leg enD Ghost

keep hearing this 'no code yet'

theres plenty enough available in the standalone to begin working on right now.

if for e.g. within a few weeks of this going live theres not an updated world map more like UW i'll very worried. theres fuck tons to work on, even if all u got is 2009 dfo (iirc 2012 versions were found?)

if literally NOTHING(other than BPG stuff) is being done right now, im worried

5. PENETRATOR

PENETRATOR Earth Elemental
    Legend

@Leg enD What do you mean updated world map? Like the updated resolution of the map or you talking about actual map changes aka worldbuilding?

6. Leg enD

Leg enD Ghost

I think the world map was almost perfect in shape and size.

I meant having an interactive world map in game, removing the need for 3rd party sites

7. Erock

Erock Varangian Warthane
    Legend

My post was vague because we are under an NDA, and I'm not trying to step on anyones toes within the company. Just have faith :p

8. Lycanthrope

Lycanthrope Goblin Warrior

Looking forward to movement. No ETA on the transfer of code, then?

9. Erock

Erock Varangian Warthane
    Legend

Unfortunately we can't really talk about our progress on that specifically because of the NDA.

10. getsome

getsome Goblin Scout

so are you the tasos of the company? do you even lift?

11. Erock

Erock Varangian Warthane
    Legend

Only if you're the Mcdoogs of RoA forums.

#11 Erock, Dec 25, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2015
    Fengor likes this.
  12. Synna

Synna Black Knight
    Legend

zing

13. getsome

getsome Goblin Scout

i remember that name but i dont remember enough to get the reference/insult. this makes me sad.

14. Andrew

Andrew Obsidian Golem
    Staff Member BPG Representative

This :).

-Andrew

15. Andrew

Andrew Obsidian Golem
    Staff Member BPG Representative

The standalone is VERY incomplete. Yes there's been lots gleamed from it but ultimately it's a mess with no reference points anywhere and missing large portions of code. It's also a very old version so while it's useful for a reference and learning tool to the code base it doesn't have much real use outside of that for us.

There's a surprisingly large amount of work required to get something like this off the ground with a full time paid staff, let alone a volunteer workforce doing this as their passion outside their work day and personal life.

-Andrew