Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Good stuff

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NeroVitus, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Korag

Korag Evil Eye
    Hero

It is a factor but not the sole reason by a long ways.
    It holds off many old players, but has little effect on the new ones

Battle Smurf and Marxman like this.
  2. Niburu

Niburu Skeleton Archer

trying RoA out again since i last played at launch. lets see. RoA has it alot easier now, beeing the only darkfall :)

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  3. Quin Tessence

Quin Tessence Black Knight
    Legend

I'm interested to know what you think low population is caused by.

I've beat my head against a wall to get 6 other players to try try the game out and I have to hold their hand 24 / 7 or they spin their wheels in the mud and bank stare until they log and i don't hear from them in 5 weeks.

First issue is that nothing and I mean nothing is worth farming that casual bad players can handle. I tap a Hooded one spawn with a couple a guys for some easy portal shards and find out Forest Prophets actually have better drop rates because you can kill them faster and the Deathless Mages don't seem to drop Q5 claw at all anymore (Gotta double check that one)

Next I take a crew out hit Krakens and the damn things drop Map Fragments which is like taking 70% of the loot and nerfing it the gold they drop dosnt even cover the costs required to buy inflated stone or powder.

Just about every spawn I hit has been nerfed to hell, some dropping more gold, but not enough to justify a farming team and the Mob scaling on the better stuff is just turned off or not working

Nothing but time to loose since the games free, but the hook I used the get people back into game was better loot and new verity in mobs. I honestly think that the people(person) making these changes needs to just take as much money as they can and run while they have a chance.

4. Sero

Sero Menhir Sentinal
    Loyal Legend

Windlords are still meta for casual bads. Make use of the market and alchemy skill. Almost everything in game, except for a handful of mobs are worth farming.

5. Quin Tessence

Legend

Windlords drop massive electric AoE making them more dangerous then Deathless Mages who BPG nerfed accidentally by killing Needles and increasing armor protection and removing poison.

The casual bads I'm talking about can handle some center map spawns easier then Lawful area spawns but the loot division is so pathetic that no groups would ever work in Lawful area and your dumb for bringing more then 2 to most very hard spawns

I'm done feeding suggestions, and they are lucky they are getting any feedback at all at this point.

6. Rimamok

Rimamok Spellgazer
    Legend

“Farm loot for PvP then PvP” will never, ever be enough to ignite passion in a sufficient number of players.

Need a much greater variety of “ego hooks” (aka “reasons to play”). TC would be a start. Unfortunately annihilating progression and removing racial warfare removed two big ego hooks. But given the path they chose, TC seems the next obvious way to expand the net.

7. Korag

Korag Evil Eye
    Hero

This ^^
    When a person logs on they need choices, if they spend time thinking about what to do then they will spend more time logging on.
    ESO is this way, so many choices to do upon logging on that it can be different everyday. ROA needs some of this.

8. Lord Zanuul

Lord Zanuul Spellgazer
    Legend

So the easiest way to explain this is for you to go and find a dark fall beta video that showcases the Gameplay at a very new level. all the players that were playing that game at the time did not fully understand all the mechanics and the why and the when of what you're supposed to do things. so we were all learning at the same time the curve of the game fast forward 10 years and you have an entire server of basically Advanced players that dominate the entire server and make it very difficult for new players to come in interact and make it their own if you can't make the game your own you're not going to stay with it and the learning curve in this game is just too Steep and would require too much time for most people to invest and catch up with ... there will always be some exceptions of people that look at it as an extreme Challenge and want to tame it but this is not the majority of people and so the population stays small.

My number one fix for this game would be to implement a system and a process so that new players can engage with other new players in PvP combat and not in the form of an arena it's just not the same experience it's not the same thing that pulled us all in it needs to be organic new player verse new player combat if BPG could do that they could fix the game

9. Todd of Hartford

Todd of Hartford Goblin Warlord
    Legend

Join my dueling group! I'm working on an idea where new players are given "combat bags" (bone/bb/r502h for mage, plate/fp/bb/r502hr/r40bow destro) (or some combination of that) to duel with. The duels will be with ganks, which simulates real-world combat without needing to fork over your entire bank as a new player. That way you keep your gear from outside the dueling group, but if you can kill another player, you keep your "combat bag" and get the other player's "combat bag" too.

It's a work in progress, but I'm thinking this might help

10. Quin Tessence

Legend

Even if you some how tricked 6-10 people to install the game the first thing that makes most of people quit in the first few hours is the old graphics. The other people either have no idea what to do or cant figure out how to make the controls feel less clunky.

My number one fix would be to remove the GUI toggle by taking a hard look at why we even use it.
    Make inventory management that takes up like 60%-70% of peoples time and just get rid of it.

Cant even really suggest that to the Devs because they cant comprehend Darkfall without constant inventory management.

Johhny Mad Dog likes this.
  11. Todd of Hartford

Legend

To me, this is the biggest reason why a game like Darkfall needs a "NEW" or "Darkfall University:" a clan that teaches the basics of the game to new players (like how to set up bindings, how to farm mobs, how to be self-sufficient, PvP basics, etc.) before they move on to other clans and alliances. I've brought this up like a thousand times, and I'm sure it's getting old at this point, but I really, really think it would help new player retention, in addition to the bigger alliances in terms of time spent grinding the basics out to newbies.

You're right about the entire server being essentially advanced-to-veteran players. Throwing new players into the fire in a game like Darkfall is not how you keep new players around. I don't know; I'm not sure what to make of it tbh. Trends like these tend to be signs of dying games, so I'm hoping the freemium model brings new life to the server (which it looks like it is). It's important though that it continues.

If, in a few months, new players are hanging around and the game is getting a constant influx of new players, I might think about trying to start up a "NEW" or "Darkfall University" again bc I really think it would help the server/major alliances/clans. But all that remains to be seen, because that's a lot of time (and resources) to invest.

Johhny Mad Dog likes this.
  12. Sero

Sero Menhir Sentinal
    Loyal Legend

Game needs a safe area for noobs to circle jerk, otherwise they're farm status.

Fengor likes this.
  13. Todd of Hartford

Legend

Right, but that's never going to happen unless the community sanctions it

Marxman likes this.
  14. Searchh

Searchh Goblin Scout
    Tester

Got my buddy to download and install this weekend and his first complaints were about not seeing where he needed to go next for his starter quests on the minimap because the minimap had "so much clutter" and by default was very small. And had no clue there was a "Journal" and diary of active quests.

Got him to the goblin spawn and he had zero clue where his goblin axe's were because all of the items he was looting were stacking over each other and it was too much to drag items around to look.

He made it about 30 minutes before asking if we could go play League of Legends.

Fengor, Lexam and Todd of Hartford like this.
  15. Lexam

Lexam Goblin Scout

This is exactly my experience when I first started. Only difference was that I didn't know anyone that had ever played to help me and was in Goons at the time. They ended up kicking me out because I had no clue about all the discord rules and drama of spies or w/e reason they kick people out randomly. So pretty much I was on my own hiding from pvp as much as possible while I tried to skill up. And this was before all the updates when it took weeks to skill things. Not sure why I kept with it and skilled up, but I pushed through. I guess I just wanted an old school mmo feel. Anyways someone like me who didn't play Darkfall before Rise of Agon, It's pretty easy to see why there are few trying this game out and even fewer sticking around.

Fengor and Todd of Hartford like this.
  16. Korag

Korag Evil Eye
    Hero

I am sorry to say, but if you spend 60 to 70% of your time with inventory management your really doing something wrong.