Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Having to level Archery just for water fighting

Discussion in 'Game Design Discussion' started by Magos, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Magos

Magos Windlord
    Supporter Contributor

Kind of one of my biggest annoyances in game right now. Anything been discussed about this? Its one of the reasons why you have to level everything in the game to be viable. You need high lvl archery and you need to take a good bow just so you dont get destroyed if the fight goes to water. At least in UW you could fire mana missile under water.
    So does the community like this aspect of the game? Needing archery to water fight? I personally hate it so interested how others view this.

Scrapnotcrap likes this.
  2. Yomi Scythetalon

Yomi Scythetalon Cairn Giant
    Legend Streamer Contributor

I think its pretty unrealistic to fire a bow underwater. Then again its pretty unrealistic to use magic 0_o

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    Quin Tessence likes this.
  3. Ledwulf

Ledwulf Deadeye
    Supporter

I hate it. I suck at it. I don't want to level it so I'm just avoiding water for now.

I understand that there are people that love it and are actually pretty good at it ;)

4. Magos

Magos Windlord
    Supporter Contributor

ya man me too just avoiding water at all costs right now. But you need it eventually to have fun ship fights cause eventually it will lead to the water, and if you dont got good archery then ur toast.

5. Veeshan

Veeshan Crypt Guard

I feel bolt spell should be usuable underwater or atleast offer a water magic specialization that allow the use of icicle and what not under water

Hate, Crunchbert and Magos like this.
  6. Magos

Magos Windlord
    Supporter Contributor

magic is real bro! But ya arrows under water shooting the same as on dry land is crazy unrealistic. Always hated it.

7. Ledwulf

Ledwulf Deadeye
    Supporter

Nah I'm like a cat I just don't like water so chance you gonna meet me on the boat is rare :)

Magos likes this.
  8. Madmatt

Madmatt Deadeye
    Hero

I am actually pretty good at water archery and have won a fair number of times outnumbered. That said I hate this mechanic and pretty much everything that has to do with the water scene in DF. I think there are options to make it great but its just not right now. Just my 2cents.

9. MikeJT

MikeJT Black Knight
    Supporter

Plenty of people level shit they don't want to level because they have to for the game.

Until some balance changes are made, making changes to water combat because mages don't like having to level archery would kind of be a slap in the face to any player who ever decided to try to be anything but a cookie cutter 6 surging school mage.

10. onslaught

onslaught Black Knight
    Patron

Forcing people to level shit that they don't want to or will never/rarely use (look at magics) is bad game design.

I rarely miss underwater with archery and I think their should be another option for people.

11. Schnid

Schnid Akathar
    Hero

I love water fighting and everything that goes along with it. I am all for reducing the grind by speeding up archery gians, however.

12. Scrubby Bear

Scrubby Bear Eodrin
    Hero

I hate that I have to level 1h just to mount fight. Please let me use 2h off mounts thanks.

12204, Fengor and MikeJT like this.
  13. RootedOak

RootedOak Oak Lord
    Legend

I love water fighting as a mage. Even though BPG buffed destros by giving them Magic Shield (a former little known advantage only mages had).

Its an easy way to thin out the people who can't hop as well as their friends, the people who didn't bring a good bow, and the people who can't do the water dance.

Fengor likes this.
  14. STDIO

STDIO Gravelord
    Legend

Archery already levels stupidly fast. It only takes like 4k arrows to get from 0 base skill to 50 sharpshooter, maybe even less than that.

Fengor likes this.
  15. merkmerk73

merkmerk73 Earth Elemental

What's a good bow?

I saw some dude selling an R60 that had same damage as my R40 only a bit faster...meh to that

16. Schnid

Schnid Akathar
    Hero

And then what happens? Another 12 - 24 hours to get it to 75 as well as high enough dex to be competitive.

17. RootedOak

RootedOak Oak Lord
    Legend

The bow speed is really important to dps. I can't stand those new slow bows. Their damage is amazing, but the noch speed is horrible. I spend most of my time not group fighting, so I won't have archery haste. Compare the r60 slow bow to the r40 slow bow.

I prefer the middle speed bows, but the fast ones are okay. The ranks for bows are a fair indicator of their quality.

Fengor likes this.
  18. Magos

Magos Windlord
    Supporter Contributor

My biggest prob with it is not actually the leveling i guess. Its just having to take out that third weap and not even use it unless its a water fight.

19. RootedOak

RootedOak Oak Lord
    Legend

It's true, it's an annoyance. Good players will always carry one, especially because of how powerful archery disable is.

20. Schnid

Schnid Akathar
    Hero

Or to disable, or to keep DPS up after you Pungent someone and have them not able to see you still, or if you've run out of mana and need to finish off a low target without transferring health to mana. Just saying it's useful to have a bow for things beside water fighting.

Mycke likes this.