Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Help me to understand your passion for Darkfall

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Derrick, Sep 7, 2015.

1. Ultra Combo

Ultra Combo Spellgazer

Plus in darkfall you could become famous... Theres a lot of players that EVERYONE knew in the community and there skill was well known. It gave people for us to aspire to be and grow to hate or love. We would group against them to take them down or gather behind them to dominate the rest of Agon or simply admire their skill on a chance encounter.

BootyEater69 likes this.
  2. GodwinBelhorne

GodwinBelhorne Goblin Warlord

As a new player, the things that drew me to the game like large scale sieges, the amazing combat and naval warefare were something to strive for. Because you always wanted to get better. No matter how many times you took part in these things, they never lost relevance because you worked so hard for so long to be viable. And the results of these activities were always varied and random enough to keep things interesting.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  3. Ultra Combo

Ultra Combo Spellgazer

Ya it was always changing based on what you felt you wanted to accomplish. Millions of things to work on and other people affected what direction you went.

4. Bojangles

Bojangles Varangian Warthane
    Legend

"I play to take peoples stuff and masturbate to their sorrow in public chat" - Fengor 2012

5. Saeora

Saeora Goblin Warrior

Two videos that explain darkfall for me, the first is a song using Celiah Ailey's voice (I think) and the second is an explanation by Ripper X, I think they both are great and I coulden't be more addicted to that song... It's terrible.

Xplozyon and Hyld like this.
  6. Xplozyon

Xplozyon Deadeye
    Legend

Darkfall is the only game I canceled my subscription to comeback next month...Darkfall was the best game ever while being the worst too. Unique in emotion and time consuming. I liked the first day on EU server where everyone was discovering Agon. So huge that I think it took 6h to walk the map in a straight line. Liked the rush of every guild claiming a land to build their city. Liked the politics Impact, the long term development of the character, of course the adrenaline of full loot but ill add to this the fact of the time invested in doing something specific that you lose if dying. Even if the AI wasnt the best ever, there were still some mobs that scared the crap out of me. First time I saw the Kraken etc.

To resume my experience/opinion of the game, Darkfall was the best out there in term of potential. But AV scraped it all...with the help of the players of course. Every coolest things in this game got abused/exploit to be the best "elite" or wanna be "elite" or to simply survive to them. Politics, a very cool and important aspect of the game got abused in every possible way to even become a split server, Two alliances fighting each others... Duplicating, hacks, AHK script. The problem of this game is the need of being an "elite". Trying/exploiting everything you can to be the best. I understand and feel the same about the competitive aspect of darkfall but if you guys dont find something more than this then the game will die as Darkfall did by becoming a dead server where only a few players "elite" still playing the game.

7. Hyld

Hyld Infernal
    Legend

Celiah's voice there is a masterpiece, lol

Regards
    HG

8. Thaliost

Thaliost Goblin Scout

It can also be compared to comrades in arms.

When you have everything to lose (in-game) like your home (city) and your items (and your pride/bragging rights), and you are fighting against enemies for that with your fellow guildmates or friends, a strong bond is created. This is not WoW, where dieing means nothing. THIS IS SERIOUS BUSINESS! :)

This sense of belonging made most of us stay up for hours, even with work in the morning, because Darkfall mattered. I was not about to go to sleep when some retard enemy clan laid siege to one of our holdings!

In Darkfall, players are not hindered by any carebear feature other MMORPGs have. They are free to go where they want, do what they want, connect with whom they want, backstab whom they want. So the in-game actions take more meaning.

It was also the only game that made my heart pump irl. And when I mean pump, it was really pump'n.

Compared to DF,UW if you played that one, DF1 just had more charisma, more variety, more cool stuff. And the char movement wasn't as clunky as in DF:UW.

DF1 had the athletes compared to DF:UW whose characters seem to move like obese clowns. Even remembering the jumping animation makes me nauseous.

BootyEater69 and Gudu Chaven like this.
  9. Furion

Furion Skeleton Archer
    Contributor Legend

Just friendships that you make over the years and epic battles where one decision can change the battle from a defeat to a victory.

I have like a Brief 30 mins of our History coming from City Defense to getting scammed, fighting land and sea. The best feeling was fighting outnumbered and coming out the victors.

Never was a fan of the zerg train

10. Lakisuria_Moonglade

Lakisuria_Moonglade Varangian Warthane
    Legend

I wasn't the biggest pvper out there, but damn this game has left it's mark on me. Even what would be considered mundane farming was always a nerve-wracking experience. Many have already gone to lengths to describe the paranoia this game induces and it's completely true. I guarantee you'll find yourself looking over your shoulder after just the first few battles whenever you do anything worthwhile.

That fight or flight sensation you get whenever you get ambushed is indescribable. Win or lose that very rush is worth to keep playing. When the fights themselves are fun and engaging and not just the victories you know something is done right.

Although as I said before, I wasn't huge on pvp. Often opting out of invitations to go raid or siege as I was incredibly busy grinding up my character in every way possible. I certainly regret that notion but I was entertained by recollections of the battles and seeing who would end up winning the day.

PvP may be the selling point but the world itself will have you stay. As long as RoA manages to keep building features that can keep the life the world had going I am confident it will keep you entertained just to be there.

11. Green Chili

Green Chili Spellgazer
    Legend

The unmatched (in my experience) heart-pounding feeling that DFO pvp elicited even after you played the game for months, was a big draw, and has been well documented throughout this thread.

Another great thing about the game was the freedom. From day 1, any player could pretty much go anywhere and do anything. Whether or not you would be successful, well that's a different story, but the option was always there, for the adventurous.

Again, unmatched in my experience, was the idea that you could, with determination and proper planning , pretty much be anything you wanted on a given day or as more focused role-player type.

From every scale of pvp, to spending an hour building a mount pyramid, using movement spells to scale the tallest peaks of Agon then jumping off and hopefully hitting the pool of water below. There was always something to do, both fun and exciting, as well as pointless fun.

There were trusted and not-so-trusted-middlemen for the big deals, and the guy that spends the days farming high-end mats and goes back to his favorite racial city once a week to sell his wares.

Well, I could probably go on for a bit, but I think that covers most of it.

12. dragula

dragula Gravelord
    Legend

There are so many things to miss about this game, it's hard to summarize in a single post so I'll focus on one aspect. The world...omg the world. I know combat is king for this crowd, and with me as well. That's always at the top of the list. But right after that, the world. It was so vast, and was the key ingredient to truly immersing you in the game. Not just the landscapes, which were awesome. But so many of the cities and hamlets were amazing and unique. This is the only game since Shadowbane where I've experienced people get emotionally attached to in game holdings. How many ex-DF players out there still long to see or live in Cbay, Apautan, Marithain, Long March or...I could go on and on.

The politics mattered because people became attached to their holdings. They weren't just a placeholder on a map...they were important. And the politics drove the immersion even deeper.

Thaliost likes this.
  13. Glass Cannon

Glass Cannon New Member

The passion we all share for DFO comes from the FEELINGS that constantly bombarded us while playing it.

We weren't safe ANYWHERE. I happened to be online while a group of rogues coordinated to assassinate someone AFK by the bank; by shooting arrows from OUTSIDE the city and tower range. They had a neutral guy help them with aiming telling them to aim higher or lower...

The eerie feel of gameplay, the massive PvP fights, the chat and forums drama, the struggle to stay alive and lose the group of 4 people that jumped on me while I was farming reagents, the way the teleportation and travel systems worked (restricted teleports via stone bindings)...

All of it on top of the pure joy and excitement every time I opened someone's gravestone to loot what was inside. Did he just happen to loot a deed from a box? Was he carrying goods to go sell them in town? Is he from a big clan? Am I fucked now that I killed him?

Honestly the game played like crap. But we all put up with it because humans seem to enjoy things that hurt them.

I would call it the love / hate principal. If such a theory exists. When you enjoy doing something, even when it sometimes makes you wanna quit.

14. KoKane

KoKane Celestial
    Wealthy

In fairness, you could fully customize the actual crosshair in DFUW after a while. The circle you're referring to is done away with.
    Apart from the inventory, I'd prefer DFUW UI almost. (almost)

What I loved about Darkfall was the dependancy on other players you needed... for a time. Unfortunately everyone became not only a jack of all trades, but a master of all trades too.

The key to a successful MMO is player interaction. Towards the end, the game died faster and faster. Coincidentally, people required other players less and less.

I played UO for 16 years of my lfe, lol.. The mere few years of DFO trumped that entire experience - and that's a huge statement. UO is the king and to this day, still hasn't had some of its finer elements replicated.
    Darkfall was truly special. It was full 3D and immersive. The world was stupidly big, and out there in the vast parts of the world you had yet to discover, were armies of other players doing their thing, fighting their wars.
    Those early days alone were a very unique feeling.

The players all control their own avatar. A humanoid character with 2 arms and 2 legs. Swing your weapon exactly where your crosshair is aiming. Lead your arrow shots with an understanding of the games physics and gravity.
    Every single individual could account for something in a battle, and each individual had the potential to be the hero, and in some cases they were. Others had the total freedom to be the villain...
    And then came the politics. The forum propaganda machines, truly effective in high population days. The alliances between giant guilds, small guilds.. The betrayal, the paranoia, the espionage and infiltration. The theft of banks, strategic or not..

The arms race of training your own character, aswell as the guilds supplier and of course the all important ship builders and Warhulk crafters. Resource acquisition bred conquest and war. Greed of a few could have a knock on effect on an entire economy and the lives of other players.
    Skill was everything, but not all of the time.
    Sometimes, clever finances could win a war. Often a victory would come from player invented tactics and strategies. No button to deploy a tactic. No drop down menu to choose your style of battle.
    Everything that happened came from the minds of individuals, working as groups or units. The richest traders were clever in their buying and selling. The sneakiest scammers were outsmarting the unsuspecting victims, scheming up new tricks constantly. The greatest leaders inspired their clan mates through victory and defeat, knowing not only their enemy but also their own members, as best as possible.

Warfare and combat so intense, that people genuinely know the personalities of their enemies and what to expect from them in a fight. A level of understanding is developed, not because the enemy has chosen a Warrior, Priest, Mage or some other clearly defined playstyle, but because of past experiences. Everyone has access to all abilities, and thus players develop their own routines and styles, on top of their preferences for how they want a fight to happen.

Darfkall Online was the only MMO since UO, for me, to really capture the importance of the player and the even greater importance of players interacting and relying on each other to make a world go around.
    It had many flaws though.. But they can easily be fixed.
    And I still truly, honestly believe that this game has the potential to be the game. With the right fixes and tweaks, and some love from the community, this game could pull in thousands of players from the biggest market there is.
    We dont even need a million. We just need 10-20k players to make the greatest MMO experience ever. That is fucking nothing. Shameful how AV let it slip.
    I always said it will go down in history as one of the biggest fuck-ups or tragedies.

One day someone will have a documentary style video about the history of MMO's and Darkfall will occupy a very important segment in it, where viewers will be amazed how they never heard of the gem that it is.

15. Bearo Dactyl

Bearo Dactyl Crypt Guard
    Legend

I remember when I first heard about Darkfall Online off a forum post on my old World of Warcraft server forums.

A friend and I thought "wow we can be ninja's and ride cats around"
    When the NA server came up we bought our copies of the game and never looked back, it completely killed any sort of interest I ever had in WoW..

I played WoW for around 5 years prior and it was all gone in a instant, and to this day i've never been able to go back and actually play a tab target MMO for more than a week or so before I end up getting super bored.

I think I just like the First person fps in a MMO, in the end Combat is what made the game good and I think that's why all the vets stuck around and loved the game so much. No other game can come close to DF1 Combat

PiratePete likes this.
  16. Rosco

Rosco Undead Dwarf

What I loved about Darkfall, started from day one of release.. Our guild was betrayed by another guild, which instantly started a conflict within Ysaam Alliance.. Every night we had opposing guilds raiding our allies cities, dropping siege stones, people trying to hide on rafts out in the ocean so we couldn't kill them and end the siege...There was always conflict and action going on, and never a boring moment.. The player Solo Raider was trying to play everyone against each other, but they added some entertainment into our battles... Basically, conflict brought my clan and allies closer, and we had to work really hard to survive...Those first few weeks, were probably my best moments in Darkfall....

Gudu Chaven likes this.
  17. Cruz DF

Cruz DF Deadeye
    Prosperous Benefactor Contributor

Same bruh, I was hanging out in a raid and someone said to a clanmate "want to go play darkfall?" and then I popped the question, and next day I was playing with them never looking back at WoW to this day, and I played from 2006 to the near end of 2011. That game was like crack to me, but Darkfall became my cocaine.

Bearo Dactyl likes this.
  18. Ogrinn

Ogrinn Deadeye
    Legend

The adrenaline! Fighting out numbered and wining really gave a sense of accomplishment. Duels were intense and came down to skill more than anything, I hate rock paper scissor balancing other mmo's do so the freedom in your character was amazing. The best part though was the community; There was rivalry, trash talking, drama and it all led to some interesting conflicts and friendships.

19. MisterTea

MisterTea Infernal
    Legend

there's just way too many good memories of this game to simply write about them, it'd take years.

jumping into a game that told you absolutely nothing about how it worked was one of the things that pulled me in . I started mmos with infantry Online, and then Ultima Online , like most people did. the free for all clan warfare and full loot were what made me want to really play this game.
    I met a load of cool people and a lot of dickheads, most of which I still play with now.

One experience that will always stick with me was our Battle for Niflheim on EU vs the LOD Alliance with TBHO Aesir and TheKhans (silver fucking khan best squad leader ever) the fights would last 24hours + people would log off to sleep and fresh guys just woken up would log in to take over for the morning and end in an epic siege.

PvP gave me such an adrenaline rush that nothing else can really give me these days.

20. murk

murk Crypt Guard
    Supporter

I never got an adrenaline rush from PvP nor did I like full loot, but the game to me was like anything else in life. From day 1 to the end of the game you were forever improving. It's like how you learned to throw a ball, shoot a bow or play a sport. You started off as a little helpless and completely worthless pebble on a riverbank... with perseverance and dedication you could slowly but surely transform into a Godzilla crushing cities. Even though the game wasn't competitive(no one wanted fair fights) at all, it had a lot room for personal improvement and growth.

I went from a little shitty from Dark Hand of Valor who couldn't even 1v9(me being the 9) Ninja Zed to being able to beat anyone in the game. Only other game where I've felt such personal satisfaction in self improvement was Mount & Blade.