Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Hi

Discussion in 'New Player Tips & Tricks' started by racethemoon, Nov 17, 2018.

1. racethemoon

racethemoon New Member

Never heard of this before. A little of my history... I'm a longtime MMORPG fan and also a longtime fan of open world PvP--especially sandbox worlds. My first multiplayer PvP would have been Quake 2 or Tribes in 98. For MMORPGs, I first played on Rallos Zek in EQ in 1999. I played UO and on UO servers. I played shadowbane and several PvP MUDs. In 2012 I started playing Wurm Online on the Chaos server and stayed there for years. I'm still fond of Wurm Online and others like Xsyon. I played SOTA shortly.

So I was browsing the mmorpg forums when someone mentioned Darkfall. That's a game I've known about for a while, but I thought it crashed and burned. I looked it up on steam and someone in the reviews sad it was dead since 2016. So why did someone in the forums say it was worth playing? I went on google and found out there're 2 companies who bought the source code. One of htem produced Rise of Agaon. The reason I am here and not at the other one is because I read ROA has a NA server. I also thought it might have a more positive outlook on the whole PvE thing--I guess I was slightly hoping, since I read the other one was more based on the original DF.

That's how I came to be here. I don't ever remember knowing that DF died and split into 2 different games. My concern is how do they plan on getting new players if nobody knows??

Game looks interesting. I have ot admit despite my long history with PvP I very much love PvE. I hope hte PvE here is enough to be encouraging. And if PvP is the primary source of content, I hope the housing and village customization is up to my liking. I hope there's some resource-driven conflict. Plain PvP by itself never was fun for me.

My system is i3-8100 and 16gb ram. I don't have a discret graphics card yet ,but I'm hoping the IGU will at least minimally allow me to see what this game is about.

Oh and I'm the kind of player who likes ot be thrown into a world. I don't expect a all encompassing noob experience. It's amsuing to me some people think tha'ts the only thing matters for someone new. What's important for me? A noob channel I can easily use to ask questions. And I want a easy to find list of the controls and keys.

#1 racethemoon, Nov 17, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
  2. JEDIMind

JEDIMind Chosen of Khamset
    Wealthy

Sent you a message.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    Umberto likes this.
  3. racethemoon

racethemoon New Member

Want to say I've had a lot of fun so far. My stats are in the ~80 range now. My sword skill is at 3. Have over 10000 gold.

I could say various negative and positive things. I'll try to stay positive.

I like the FEEL of movement and combat. Compared to Shadows of the Avatar (I just came away from playing that), the combat is much more real-time. I feel more connected to my avatar. SOTA felt like pulling strings on a puppet.

I'm not a fan of using my keyboard to use skills/spells, but because the game is so real-time it'd be hard to use the mouse for both activities. Before I played this, I was more familiar with the EQ2 way. Essentially, I'd click on the hotbar with my mouse to use skills and items. This was possible because base combat is automatic and you can afford to take time out to click things. It's a slower, more minigame model with less keyboard management.

I love how some bodies of water have currents! I'm just now starting to see the physics systems.

I like doing a little of harvesting whilst also doing combat.

I don't have a mount yet, but that's ok. No rush. But what I miss from EQ2/others is the ability to pan my camera around as I am moving. In this game, I can only look in the direction I am moving. It's harder to observe my environment while traveling.

Enemies are responsive and seem to "consider" their movements somewhat. It's welcome. They will run to their allies, or at least run if weak. They circle me so I can't just swing in one direction.

I like archery. It's a challenge to hit the targets consistently. I like to kill the occasional deer or buck for meat.

Lots PvE still to see. I'm not a big PvPer--think I stated already. Haven't visited a dungeon yet.

Framerate is better than SOTA, but graphics are worse. I'm happy with it.

Loot system is cumberbsome--not automatic and lots of items. However, it makes looting more frantic. I can't loot immediately, so I plan ahead. I like that. Inventory management takes time. It's acceptable. I sort of wish looted items would automatically go to the appropriate stack wherever it might be. If no stack is found, or if it's not stackable, it goes to the loot bag. Something like this would be nice since there's soooo much loot.

The recall icon on my hotbar doesn't work. Confusing. I use the button on the minimap to recall.

The cities are absent of NPCs and proper lighting. For example, I see a lone merchant in a stall at night with no overhead lamp anywhere. This might lead to better performance, but it diminshes the PvE--and atmosphere. The cities are still beautiful, don't mistake me. The wilderness is too. The animals are nice touch.

I see myself continuing to play. I probably will pay for a sub if this keeps up.

#3 racethemoon, Nov 28, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  4. nightblighter

nightblighter Undead Dwarf
    Patron

Are you aware of the existence of the player market in capital cities? You can get a mount for 250-400 gold, or steedgrass for ~300. All you need is 1 steedgrass and you can craft a mount even at level 1. This will improve your quality of life tremendously. You can pan the camera all the way around while on a mount.

5. Sero

Sero Forest Golem
    Loyal Legend

@Andrew

This right here.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    Fengor likes this.
  6. racethemoon

racethemoon New Member

Is it possible to have more than 1 character slot?

I'm still having fun btw. Visited my first dungeon. Died while there but I died with a smile on my face. I've died twice so far in PvE. I die because I don't realize how low my hp is. I get so absorbed in archery and movement for one. Dying is good though. Reason to sharpen my awareness. There's a phrase in Dwarf Fortress community-"Losing is fun."

Is there a benefit to subbing right now? when I logged into my account it said I have 24 hours of free game time for 30 days? If I don't sub or use game token, it says I get 24 hours every 180 days, or if i do one time, every month.

I think I'm enjoying it enough if i had to sub I would, just to flesh it out.

#6 racethemoon, Dec 3, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
    Fengor, Animal, Blaze and 1 other person like this.
  7. Leafcrawl

Leafcrawl Goblin Warlord

I am glad you are having fun. You actually remind me a lot of myself when I first started playing at launch. I have not played in a while, but I will try to answer the best I can.

I believe it is still One Account = One Character Slot.

It was announced that the Free to Play Period was (once again) extended. I am not sure how long to, but it says they will make a news update soon, which should include other information as well. So for now, you should be able not to worry about your game time expiring until this Free to Play period has ended (I think).

What you are referring to in your Account Summary is "A Day for Game Time" and I know it may sound confusing.
    So what that is saying is that if you purchased "Game Time" (whether it be a Subscription or using a Game Time Token) you will receive a 24 hour free game time period, which you can use at any time, after your current Subscription or Game Time Token runs out.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

And I hope you keep having fun in Agon :)

racethemoon and onslaught like this.