Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Holding value - Billboards - Chaos cities

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dagoth Ur, Mar 4, 2021.

1. Dagoth Ur

Dagoth Ur Goblin Warlord

Holding value

It is no secret that holdings have had very little value for the vast majority of roa.
    Due to the abundance of instant travel options in comparison to DFO clans have not been as incentivized to hold multiple holdings for a portal network.
    Due to the low population even if clans wanted a portal network it would not significantly drive up holding value as there isnt enough scarcity, there are too many holdings for too few clans.
    And due to the inherent risks involved in living in a player city compared to an NPC city, and the fact that the game at this point revolves almost completely around billboards as villages are the only reliable way to run into other players most people ended up just living in the safezone.

Into this desert of holding value BPG decided it would be prudent to back up a truck full of salt in the form of holding upkeep, which further disincentivized holding more than one holding, and hence further decreased any reason for conflict over holdings.
    To add insult to injury they also changed city mines for the worse, without any positive change to upset the loss in holding value.

This all resulted in where we are now, a game where everyone lives in the safe zones, and most of the holdings are not owned. The fate of holdings is very reminiscent of the fate of player housing in roa. Both mostly lay abandoned and both suffered from mostly the same changes, houses too were devalued by an abundance of instant travel options, and the barrier to entry was increased tremendously.

Billboards

BPG might be stupid but they arent blind, they see the problem with the holding value, and hence would address it, but its in the way they go about it that the stupidity comes in.

The changes proposed are as follows:
    • Players can no longer port to lawless villages from NPC Cities
    • Players can no longer craft mastery items in NPC Cities
    • Players can only use billboards owned by themselves or their allies.
    While I do not like the fact that everyone lives in safezone NPC cities in RoA, very unlike DFO where nobody lived in them, the question remains:
    Will this significantly increase holding value?
    No, as nobody needs more than 1 holding even with this change, and are infact incentivized to only have 1 holding, and there are more than enough cities for all the clans in the game on the map.

It will however make the game unplayable for solo players, or small groups who can't gather up 10% of the playerbase to capture a city, as billboards are the entire game.

In DFO Chaos cities were populated, but as RoA has degenerated into billboard timerfall chaos cities became inhospitable, due to the lack of billboards in them. Why live in a chaos city, which is by far the least safe place to live in, but at the same time does not contain the bare necessities?

Therefore I would propose these changes not be implemented without chaos cities receiving some love in the form of express lawless included billboards. They fix nothing, but make the game unplayable unless you play in a group consisting of atleast 10% of the playerbase.

Obelisks (DFUW relics)

As there is no alternative way to use these like there was in DFUW, anyone who stumbles upon one who does not belong to a clan owning one of the few cities which can house one is incentivized to simply hide it in mesh never to be found again.

I predict these will be mostly dead content that will eventually end up all being held by 1 or 2 of the biggest clans. There are much higher requirements to steal them than in DFUW, and little reason to steal them unless you own one of the few holdings which make them useful in anyway.
    I

#1 Dagoth Ur, Mar 4, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2021
  2. Mimitis TheOne

Mimitis TheOne Undead Dwarf

For starters, i think they need to get rid of billboards completely. Its the most boring activity in the game and it doesn't encourage players to go out into the world at all. This is indeed one of the big reasons holdings have become invaluable. Instead i think BPG should make traveling around the world (without using any kind of teleportation) more easy and less time consuming. Look at DFUW for an example, they used a system wich made it so if you walked on a road with a mount you would go way faster. Roads connected to villages and where high traffic area's and made for openworld pvp. Players could also set up ambushes close to live villages, knowing where other clans would be coming from since they have a holding at x location and so on. If billboards are removed it is much more valuable to have a good portal system within clan holdings.

I also think the current lawless/lawfull system helps a great deal in decreasing holding value since holdings on mainland (except the ones close to center or have a wonder wich grants a good buff) are litterally useless. The lawfull area's are as good as dead as there is no reason to go there (not even to villages since you cant really loot anyone). A way to fix this is to simply add a safezone around the main NPC cities like in DFUW, and let the rest be lawless.

Then the next thing, runebooks. This system allowes players to port over litterally the whole world with little to no cost at all. This does also not encourage players to actually travel and go out in the world either. Instead there should be a big portal at every continent and racial area that every player can use. This will also increase player traffic and make for pvp hotspots while also making sure that it is not too hard and time consuming to go around the world if you aren't in a clan wich ownes a good portal system.

Scrapnotcrap, HaldirHardy and Porch like this.
  3. Porch

Porch Crypt Guard
    Loyal

This

Mea Kulpa and Mimitis TheOne like this.
  4. Bonii

Bonii Infernal
    Tester

Couldn't imagine typing over 600 words on a game forum which isn't read anymore.

Yikes.

Mahirim Godking likes this.
  5. Jujutsu_Kaisen

Jujutsu_Kaisen Goblin Warrior
    Contributor

This 1000%. Should have been like this from day 1.

I'll say this again. BPG @Neilk needs to take any changes prior to finish and post them in a newly created forum section with a fancy name for "how would you abuse this in game" that only covers this topic. Because every change done there is a very easy way to abuse it that can be pointed out in 30 seconds. I don't get it

Porch, Mea Kulpa and Mimitis TheOne like this.
  6. Not_Primetime

Not_Primetime Infernal
    Wealthy Legend

Sorry but they never implemented that feature. Also try using spell checker it's all those squiggly lines that you ignored. As for the rest that you typed who cares...

7. Mea Kulpa

Mea Kulpa Wildtribe Mage

Say what? I traveled faster on roads riding a mount in UW.

M ~

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    Degamra likes this.
  8. Mimitis TheOne

Mimitis TheOne Undead Dwarf

Lol

9. Scrapnotcrap

Scrapnotcrap Eodrin
    Loyal Hero

Bro, i fucking hate the billboard.

Mea Kulpa and Mimitis TheOne like this.