Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Hostile, Neutral, Peaceful

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mr WookE, Dec 23, 2019.

1. Mr WookE

Mr WookE New Member
    Hero

I don't normally take the time to post, but here we go.

Disclaimer: Haven't spent a ton of time yet on this new patch so if some of my assumptions about this new system are wrong then my b.

So apparently you must visit a chaos church just to return from hostile > neutral/peaceful when you are already blue alignment mind you, don't worry this only applies to some players and not others due to bugs or whatever reason. So if i go hostile not only am i at risk of losing gear now but i also have to pay to be blue again at a chaos church even though I'm already blue? Just want to point out I'm 1000 blue/positive alignment. What is even the reason for going hostile then? Apparently according to a gm the reason you have to go to a chaos church to go back to peaceful even though your fully blue is they don't want people going back to blue mid fight. This point is null and void because theirs a cast time switching between these alignments. So theirs literally no need for a 2nd arbitrary step to return to peaceful. The cast time suffices and you could just make the cast a lot longer going from hostile > peaceful. I'm curious what other issues people have found with this new system.

Ive been running out of things to do in game as I'm a solo player and just kinda farm some stuff here and there, while also exploring the world a bit for fun. Was hoping this recent patch would give me and everyone some more stuff to do but it seems to be a very fluff patch with no real content.

Will prolly come back and play when arenas hit but for now not seeing a lot of point in playing.

The Red King likes this.
  2. Yomi Scythetalon

Yomi Scythetalon Oak Lord
    Wealthy Contributor Legend Streamer

I'll be amazed if you get a logical response.

3. Jean-Claude

Jean-Claude Infernal
    Legend

I'm pretty convinced even the developers don't know how the alignment system works. I can see what they were trying to accomplish with this alignment patch, but the design is just terrible and the implementation even worse.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    Mani and The Red King like this.
  4. Andrew

Andrew Eodrin
    Staff Member BPG Representative

It's designed around intention. If you flag hostile the only reason to is to specifically kill peaceful players in yellow zones via non consensual PvP. If you make that choice we want it to be a choice that isn't made on a whim which is why you have to go to a church to change back from this stance. If you choose this path than you become rogue and cannot earn alignment.
    --- Post updated ---
    Care to elaborate? We fully expect to make a lot of tweaks to this new zone and flagging system as we go based on feedback. Specifics will help in that regard thanks!

5. The Red King

The Red King Obsidian Golem
    Loyal Legend

The major issue is you have cities / Hamlets with MINES and champions in yellow zones! WTF? Nobody wanted that.

Those need to be lawless....

Ikaika Koa likes this.
  6. Animal

Animal Eodrin
    Hero

@Andrew You're so off-base from your target demographic that it's actually painful to watch from a business perspective.

"Non consensual PvP"? You're consenting to PvP by downloading Darkfall.

I'd make suggestions to improve the implementation, but I fear you still don't have anyone capable of implementing them - let alone implementing it "correctly".

Thanks for giving it a shot. I had a lot of fun over the past 2 years.

As a note for the future: Take a look at what has been added versus what has been removed. I think you'll start to understand why there is shit in the bed.

7. BeatIt

BeatIt Eodrin
    Loyal Legend

u ever stop and say.... hmm why are players leaving. Maybe its time to actually listened. Or are u happy whit 1 clan whit 10-20 actives.........

Ikaika Koa likes this.
  8. CaptainAmerica

CaptainAmerica Infernal
    Loyal Legend

The changes you're making to the game PREVENT competitive pvp. This game was created and marketed as a hardcore full loot conquest game. Why on earth you would dedicate precious development resources towards removing conflict is incredibly difficult to understand.

This is supposed to be a conquest game. Big clans rushed to Darkfall many years ago to COMPETE with other clans. You should be building upon the core themes of the game and enhancing them (conquest, adventure, competitive incentives) rather than baby proofing the whole thing.

9. Sero

Sero Menhir Sentinal
    Loyal Legend

If you flag hostile and kill a peaceful player, shouldn't you take an alignment hit? Meaning you can't flag back to peaceful regardless?

10. Andrew

Andrew Eodrin
    Staff Member BPG Representative

Care to elaborate? We fully expect to make a lot of tweaks to this new zone and flagging system as we go. It will take time to smoothly integrate it properly for all scenerios, specific feedback will be valuable on any concern areas.

Yes you take an alignment bit but you don't earn alignment in hostile so you'd need to change to neutral to "work off" negative alignment.

11. Sero

Sero Menhir Sentinal
    Loyal Legend

If you go red, why can you even flag back to neutral? Shouldn't you stay red until you fix it?

12. BeatIt

BeatIt Eodrin
    Loyal Legend

-relic system
    - moving houses
    - TCS
    -new armor
    - NEW ZONE/STANCE
    -combat change
    -Daily Task

the GUI improve a lot i give u that.

all of it was a big epic fail or never saw the day light

i dont know what to tell u.. but u sure love wasting dev time.

MaxiHori, Methodico and Sero like this.
  13. Jean-Claude

Jean-Claude Infernal
    Legend

As others have already stated in this thread, the new alignment/zone changes have discouraged conflict in a very large portion of the map. If i wanted a no loot pvp game to play, there is an abundance of games with better graphics and updated engines out there.

I play darkfall for the thrill of knowing that i can get attacked at any moment and lose my gear and the contents of my backpack. With these new changes, players will go out of their way to equip top tier armor/weapon and leave virtually nothing if they're killed.

At the very LEAST, you need to change every player city/hamlet in the game and all champion spawns to red zones.

14. BeatIt

BeatIt Eodrin
    Loyal Legend

after 6+ months of LOW pop u think they would understand.

Methodico likes this.
  15. kilrain

kilrain Shadow Knight
    Staff Member Developer Team Lead

We wanted some kind of penalty or deterrent for flagging yourself as hostile. By doing so you are committing to being that way until you pray it off costing you gold. When it costs time and money some will at least put some thought into the decision. This is also why we created the neutral stance so there was a completely penalty free option. Nothing you can do while in neutral should ever flag you as rogue or cause you to lose alignment and you can still pvp others.

That's not to say that hostile needs to be that way, that's just some of the thought that went into it.

Neutral stance needs some tweaking of course, because you should be able to perform any action against another neutral player like looting corpses and stealing mounts and boats or whatever.

Another thing we're looking at is restricting what a peaceful player can do. There are actions in the game that we could require a minimum of a neutral stance before they are able to do it. We still plan to put in the player to player flagging as well, which I will put a rush on so we can get it in.

The alignment system has always been a big problem and coming up with a solution is challenging. Intent is the primary focus with this so if your intent is to kill everyone we want it known. The old alignment system didn't allow for that and it was a huge thorn in our side. We would get messages constantly about it. Hopefully this helps. The real challenge is trying to incorporate a rule set that allows for players to be as evil as they want while still having some kind of order.

Like all alignment systems in any game it's not perfect and we're willing to look at ideas for tweaking it.

16. ThiefGarrett

ThiefGarrett Earth Elemental
    Contributor

Require neutral stance for champions.

Ikaika Koa and Sero like this.
  17. lamigra

lamigra Akathar
    Supporter

Just make two zones. The area around sanguine is a complete safezone. The rest is full loot pvp zone. Make a timer when entering the safezone to avoid abuse. Simple.

All of these complicated zones and with flagging and partial loot is to complicated for new players to grasp on top of an already complex game.

You can now edit the whole large area around sanguine as a tutorial zone. Make mini champion for new players to take down together or with a mentor vet.

18. Sero

Sero Menhir Sentinal
    Loyal Legend

I guess this seems like over complicating but I get it. It removes the need for timers. Attacking someone, getting away and changing stance... etc.

19. Scrapnotcrap

Scrapnotcrap Eodrin
    Loyal Hero

For the first time, i want arena. I think that would bring back the thrill of pvp at the very least.

Coz if i ever plan on playing full time again, i'm going to have to focus on wager duels to get that feel of risk vs reward back again.

All i can now most of the time is the risk without any rewards. That's great.

20. Animal

Animal Eodrin
    Hero

Imagine a world where a 30 second post idea trumps the combined effort of multiple "lead developers". :eek:

Degamra likes this.