Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Housing change

Discussion in 'Game Design Discussion' started by Check Mate, Jul 8, 2017.

1. Check Mate

Check Mate Stormgraive

I'll keep it short and sweet, and I want to hear your thoughts.

1) Allow all house types to be placed on all plots. Therefore you can have a village of all cottages or all villas for example.
    2) Allow houses to be upgraded. If you have a cottage, a long term goal can be upgrade to a house or villa.
    3) Lower cottage costs to be more entry level.
    4) Add many more plots.

I've said it from the beginning, but this system is just terrible. As it stands right now, by the time any casual player can hope to get the mats for a cottage, all the cottage slots will be consumed. They have no choice but to grind even more for a higher level house.

I see no reason that cottages shouldn't be the pretty easily available house for even casual players, and that the long term goal would be upgrading, improving, adding upon your cottage into something greater. Obviously they wouldn't get the best locations which is perfectly fine, but the system right now is just so incredibly off-putting.

I think BPG is really missing out on the fact that players really enjoy owning their own property, especially the casuals who may never experience owning a hamlet or city. Owning your own slice of agon and making it your own is a huge opportunity to keep people hooked. Hell I logged into DAoC for months after I had "quit" to make sure I kept my house going.

Slave Labor and Khazgol like this.
  2. Mea Kulpa

Mea Kulpa Wildtribe Mage

It is too bad casuals will have a less likely chance to experience DF home ownership in all it's glory. Also too bad deeds were completely removed from chaos chests.

Some of my best DFO and UW memories were fighting over village control pts.

*SIGH*

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    Fengor likes this.
  3. Rocky

Rocky Goblin Shaman

This game is not for the casual player, thats for damn sure. I wish they made it more casual friendly :(

Skelly likes this.
  4. Fawley

Fawley Infernal
    Legend

The only downside to that is that you'll end up with some villages having like 15 keeps at them and there will be like 150 people potentially living out of them. And you can't just fight people off a house since ownership is something you can't take.

Mea Kulpa likes this.
  5. Check Mate

Check Mate Stormgraive

Wanted to point out this post I saw earlier, which I couldn't agree more with.

I never played UO sadly (just a few years too early for me, started with DAoC in 2002) but you can watch house tour videos on youtube today and easily see why people loved that housing system, and why stealing ideas from that is a good idea.
    --- Post updated ---
    Is that really a bad thing though? That village going live would be a huge regular PvP event, and I think it's a good thing that certain villages would be crazy active and others be quiet.

6. KoKane

KoKane Celestial
    Wealthy

If you could take up village home slots with cottages, all of the big clans will have claimed 100% of housespots in a given village EASILY. They'll all be occupied by alt accounts, so they can upgrade them at their leisure, which will result in dead villages because its taking them forever to do it and since they control the village, they wont feel an urge to do so.

MikeJT and Nat like this.
  7. Money Mike

Money Mike Goblin Shaman
    Supporter

I think they should have added way more random plots (not villages) and scaled the mats down or allow house deeds to be purchased from vendors with high amounts of gold.

The grind should have been decorating the house, not the actual house itself. I feel there are way too many house decos out there and not many houses, resulting in a flooded market.

More players owning houses = more of a commitment to the game. Then if players are unsubscribed, their house decays allowing someone else to take the plot and loot the items at the end of the timer.

This would also get people roaming more, looking for decaying houses.

8. Rocky

Rocky Goblin Shaman

i agree. Ill bet money most of the LV and keep plots will never be placed while this game is active.

Money Mike and Mea Kulpa like this.
  9. Super Star

Super Star Oak Lord
    Legend

Generally how this "issue" is not solved but at least quelled is giving some form of sub housing thats instanced. For example, it would be a house in a city, once entered it would be different per person based on how they upgraded/decorated it. Guess it could be a blue perk with essentially a "house recall" that would bring them to the NPC city that they chose. It would be one of the only ways to essentially give everyone a house with a benefit that wouldnt negate the work put in by others in order to build and own a house at a village which is obviously a better spot.

10. Check Mate

Check Mate Stormgraive

Instanced personal housing is terrible. I.e. wow garrison, albion online personal island (unless they changed it, only played for a few weeks). etc.

11. Money Mike

Money Mike Goblin Shaman
    Supporter

Wouldn't be a huge fan of this as it takes away from the sandbox aspect and I feel it would devalue property. The further away from instanced we go, the better.

12. Check Mate

Check Mate Stormgraive

agreed 110%.

There is soooo much empty space between holdings, villages, and mob spawns. Why not fill that void with hundreds (or thousands) of "chaos" plots (where you could place any level house). Would make the world feel more thriving and interesting, and having cottages at least be available to most players would add life to it.

I just don't see the goal they had with housing at all and honestly question if they even know themselves.

13. Super Star

Super Star Oak Lord
    Legend

Ok then the thread is pointless because you could never implement housing for casuals. A house is desirable for 3 reasons, a bank, a vendor and a port. If you want a house, you have to work for it. If you dont have enough time to play and you can never farm one, then tough luck i guess. Like someone else pointed out above, if everything was a cottage plot, everything would have already been taken by people with alts, and i can guarantee even at cottage mat creation costs, not a single casual would have got one and every plot would be filled right now.

Could just make the instanced housing only in capital cities that way it would be equal to a capital recall in a different zone, and it would be a blue perk. I cant really see how you could add in homes for people who dont play enough and can never farm one. Do they just give everyone free housing in prime locations because some people playing dont have time to farm? What about the people who put in time to farm for a desirable location, do they now get shafted because of them?

Scrubby Bear likes this.
  14. Check Mate

Check Mate Stormgraive

Plots filling up is only a problem if they keep them as is. They could literally add thousands of chaos plots in the dead space between mob spawns, villages, and holdings and there would still be a massive amount of dead space.

Having the mindset that a) only poopsocks should get houses and b) there should be such a limited amount of slots to support a) is yet another ass backwards line of thinking.

It's the same simple, closed minded mindset that holds the game back.

Khazgol likes this.
  15. Super Star

Super Star Oak Lord
    Legend

I dont think it would really matter much tbh, they could drop down 100 cottage plots scattered around the map and they would all be taken by players with more time. A casual will never be able to afford a house, owning a home is a long term goal, and their time spent in game is already on their character. Not to mention those dropped plots have the potential to be in better locations that the current housing, which also wouldnt be fair to those who worked for them. "Hey, sry to those who worked for prime housing, we just dropped in a bunch more so people who barely play could get a better location than those who worked for it earlier, have fun!"

16. Check Mate

Check Mate Stormgraive

I'm talking about a lot more than 100 plots. In the current state of population in RoA there's zero reason the number of plots available should be less than the current sub count.
    --- Post updated ---
    You can't be paralyzed against making changes to your game because of things that have happened in the past. I.e. you can't as a developer never make something cheaper on account of the people who bought that item for full price in the past. Tough, people get over it.

Another example is if they decided to remove buff others. That's not "fair" to me since I have scrolled every buff and ward to 75, but they can't use that as a reason to never be able to remove buff others.

#16 Check Mate, Jul 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
    Khazgol likes this.
  17. Super Star

Super Star Oak Lord
    Legend

Houses are supposed to be a long term goal in sought after locations for a limited amount of people, otherwise they could have just put a vendor with unlimited deeds on it for gold, plopped down 1k plots and just let everyone have a house. What is the point of people putting in time to farm and claim a house for a specific location if they are just going to drop down endless plots to make sure each person that has an acc can get an house. If they want to end up just throwing down endless plots, then i mean go for it, but it kind of takes away from those who worked towards it. Casuals will be limited in every game and in every aspect of that game no matter what because they cant put in the time. If you cant put in the time, then you shouldnt be rewarded equally with someone who did. That goes for everything, which is why i suggested a different form of housing in addition to the current.

18. Check Mate

Check Mate Stormgraive

I get that's what houses currently are. The point of my thread is to show why that model is terrible for sustaining players, and how the "easy to get, hard work to upgrade and customize" model would be not only far better at retaining the average players interests, but also would be a sandbox content goldmine for the playerbase looking for that kind of thing.

I get that you're content with them being little more than extra strategic bindspots, but my point is that's such a wasted opportunity and wasted piece of content.

19. Super Star

Super Star Oak Lord
    Legend

This housing model is not at all linked to player sustainability, and because of how the grind was set up in order to make a deed, even if all plots started out as a cottage plot, a casual player would still not be able to afford one. Casuals complain enough about juggling med points in addition to their character. There is no way that they ever would have farmed up those mats, and by the time they did, everything would be taken. They would have to hold those deeds and wait in hopes for a patch that introduced 100 plots, then they run out and compete with everyone else capping the same houses just for a chance at it. It still wouldnt solve everyone being able to own a house to customize, upgrade, etc. I agree housing is great for giving people something to call their own, but unless everyone is guaranteed one, its not going to work the way you think it is.

20. Mexi Horseman

Mexi Horseman Goblin Warlord

you do realize your argument is moot right? The devs already said they'd add more housing plots as needed.