Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Housing change

Discussion in 'Game Design Discussion' started by Check Mate, Jul 8, 2017.

1. Super Star

Super Star Oak Lord
    Legend

my argument isnt moot at all, the thread is in regards to turning all base plots into cottage bases and upgrading them from there. Adding more housing plots doesnt get a casual a house, you do realize that, correct?

2. Check Mate

Check Mate Stormgraive

That was 1 and 2, read 3 and 4

3. Super Star

Super Star Oak Lord
    Legend

The only one relevant to his point is #4 considering what is done is done in regards to cost, and lowering it now for the sake of those who cant play to be able to afford one isnt going to happen, so #3 is pretty much irrelevant. #4 i already agree with and we already know they will be adding more plots, i just dont think its the casuals that will be capping them. I also dont think there will be so many new house plots added that even Bob with 3 kids and a wife who works 40 hours a week and has 2 hours a week to play darkfall can be in the position to play the game and be able to afford one, unless you are the almighty Fengor. Realistically though, he will just have to buy gold or hope house mats get to the point where they are pretty much free because nobody needs them, and then he buys them, makes the deed and waits for more plots to enter in hopes to get one. The grind design implemented obviously means they are suited towards a long term goal or objective, i.e not casual friendly.

4. euseka

euseka Goblin Warrior

It's actually a very common thing in MMOs to make new content be a large grind before reducing it massively at a point down the line to make it more accessible when more new content has come out for people to explore. I don't actually see why the casual player shouldn't get a house eventually if they want one. There's definitely space for everyone right now. Literally no negatives.

5. Check Mate

Check Mate Stormgraive

Agreed. Maybe I phrased it poorly, but this is this my main gripe:

-There are far too few plots, even though they could be everywhere in the massive void of Agon
    -Those limited plots are further artificially limited by house type, so cottage plots are what, like 20-25% of the total?
    -Even if a casual player decided to do the long grind to get a cottage, there will be no plot available, so they don't even bother.

Something can't be "a long term grind" but at the same time, not be available if you decide to do that grind, however long it takes. It's just a bad, poorly thought out system, and my suggestion would change that. I don't really understand why it's meeting resistance, but oh well.

At the end of the day as I've said, houses could be content gold mines that keep people wanting more. Owning a slice of agon is highly, highly appealing and keeps people hooked, especially if they run with the customization. Why would you be stupid enough to not capitalize on that and instead just be so incredibly lazy with the design and just accept only the hardcores will get houses? So idiotic.

6. Ledwulf

Ledwulf Deadeye
    Supporter

All thouse houses in Npc city's should be rentable.

Super Star likes this.
  7. MikeJT

MikeJT Black Knight
    Supporter

I'm not even trying to save up for a house and just from village captures, regular gathering for stuff I need and chaos chests I'm already about 5% the way to owning a house. Seeing as it's only been about a month since housing patch that'd be 20 months to build a house without even trying.

If you really want a house it's really not that hard to do.

Maybe actually go out and farm instead of standing around a bank looking at all the stuff you don't have.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  8. Check Mate

Check Mate Stormgraive

Clueless

9. MikeJT

MikeJT Black Knight
    Supporter

Nope, you're just completely overstating the grind to get a house.

10. Check Mate

Check Mate Stormgraive

It's not just a grind you dimwit. It's a grind and a race due to the severely limited amount of slots, only 20-25% of which are compatible with cottages which should be the entry level house.

The combination of the two has lead to every player I've encountered who was excited about housing to become completely disinterested in it. A potential gold mine of sandbox content rendered useless to the casual playerbase.

If you think grind + limited spots + inaccessibility is good game design for housing, you know nothing about player psychology and are ignoring lessons that mmorpgs have learned for the past 20 years.

Even if a new or casual player decided today to start saving for a cottage, they aren't going to get one in however many months it takes them because of the stupid limitation on plots. But if they added say 2000 chaos plots all throughout the empty space of agon that could accept any deed type, suddenly there's no question of plot availability and a longer grind makes more sense. But that isn't the case right now. It's just a lazily designed hunk of crap.

#30 Check Mate, Jul 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  11. MikeJT

MikeJT Black Knight
    Supporter

If you're a casual player, why do you want a house anyway? Have you considered going in with a friend to buy a house together? Have you considered grouping up with several friends to buy a larger house with more binds?

More to the point, why do you think you deserve a house. Do you think that the bulk of players long term will actually ever own a house? No.

If you want it, work for it. If you don't want to work for it, then there's the Nithron Coin route.

Step 1. Buy Nithron Coins.
    Step 2. Use Nithron Coins to buy game time tokens.
    Step 3. Sell Game Time Tokens for Gold in game.
    Step 4. Use gold to buy materials to build desired house.

At the current going rate for GTT's it'll only cost you about $500 with a discount on bulk purchase.

Just replace "America" with "Darkfall".

12. Check Mate

Check Mate Stormgraive

Holy shit you're a special kind of stupid.

Housing is appealing for the same reason why housing was arguably the best thing about Ultima online. It gets people owning a "slice of agon". Some people will never own a city or a Hamlet, so owning a house to call your own and can customize gets people more attached to the game, because they actually own a piece of it.

Sorry that you are incapable of seeing outside your own perspective. I'm literally telling you why a majority of the playerbase being able to own a house is a far better design for the enjoyment of the games subscribers and you reply telling me that I don't deserve a house and most people won't ever have one.

Um, hello?

And as a side note, why is it that some of the very likely least successful people I've met preach hard work.