Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

How is this game doing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by otoan, May 8, 2019.

1. otoan

otoan Crypt Guard
    Loyal

Honest answers only. How is this game doing? Is it struggling? Is it hard to find fights? Is it hard to gear up because you're in too many fights with people that already have full banks because ROA didn't take my suggestions on the economy?

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  2. Bojangles

Bojangles Chosen of Khamset
    Legend

Not hard to find fights because of village system/constant sieges. I am one of the ones with a full bank so I can't tell you about that. Population is low - sieges are maybe 20-70man total on both sides depending on time of day and clans. There are daily sieges however so the players are creating content. Blackwater fields like 15-35ish, TTA like 10-30ish, Defiance like 25-40, Dune Rats/Dayar Dickheads like 10-25, few other clans around sieging too.

3. Myater

Myater Eodrin
    Hero

Games pretty active and you can find fights whenever you want. Gearing up is pretty simple tbh but over some of the high end stuff you have to fight over the spawns, normally vs 1-3 people.

Leopold Stotch, Blaze and Kol Taggar like this.
  4. Kol Taggar

Kol Taggar Infernal
    Loyal Legend

I remember you sir.

I've been playing for about 1.5-2 months, mostly grinding a character and occasionally running around in big groups playing support. I never played launch.

My character stats are in the 100's, greatswords 4/5, most of my core magic spells are 4/5, though some still lag at 3. I played quite a bit (read: WAY TOO MUCH) towards the mid-to-end of DFO and felt I had a pretty good grasp on the game at that time. At that time in DFO I had put in the time to grind all of my magic, greatsword, and polearm (latter also daggers) masteries. I had also maxed out most crafting masteries (weps, staffs, bows, armor, cooking). Most of that was before AV increased skill gains.

My experience has been pretty great so far to be honest. I started off playing solo in human lands, doing what I knew from the first time I bootstrapped a character. Within a few days of being in human lands I had encountered several genuine new players who were a bit further along than I was. One fellow in particular donated some R40s to me and a couple mounts. He even took me to his favorite spawn to make gold. I was tickled pink to see that type of thing was still happening in Darkfall.

I've always felt that Darkfall has at least two tiers. There's the top tier of folks who are making PVP videos, wearing great gear, and are rich/getting richer. And then there's the rest of the population. Eventually I clanned up with some folks I played DFO with and as a consequence got access to quite a few great holdings. This was good for me character development wise, but has effectively put an end to my attempts to get a feel for what the state of the game is in ROA for those that aren't in the Darkfall equivalent of "the 1%".

I do think that the current state of the economy means folks are running around in very good gear, and if I was dying a lot it would take quite a bit of time to build a deep enough bank that I would be able to run with some of these folks who are in the top tier. However, if you dont mind farming, there are lots of mid level mobs that spawn way faster than they did in DFO. I have seen some contestation of bigger mob spawns.

Combat seems to have been dumbed down quite a bit, and several major changes (spell lockout on encumb, destro changes, paper doll lock/global item switch cooldown removal, back damage nerf) have all made things VERY different than what I remember from DFO. It does feel like group PVP plays *perhaps* better than in DFO, though.

#4 Kol Taggar, May 8, 2019
    Last edited: May 8, 2019
  5. Nat

Nat Shadow Knight
    Legend

Game is amazing and so are BPG.

6. otoan

otoan Crypt Guard
    Loyal

I saw your first post but nice try.

Inkarnation, Degamra and Nat like this.
  7. Mea Kulpa

Mea Kulpa Gravelord

Log in and check it out @otoan . I can help ya out with whatever you are lacking. And who knows, you might even have some fun. :)
    To help with your muscle memory, want to come rescue me from Hal Khali? ha ha ha ha

Hope to see you soon,
    M ~

otoan likes this.
  8. Schnid

Schnid Gravelord
    Hero

It's still the best game out there imo. Mind you, considering that the playerbase is probably less than 300 actives that either makes me insane or the rest of the gaming population insane which is less likely.

When I came back about a few months ago it seemed there was a lot of positivity about the population; pvp was literally constant and comms were optimistic. In the last month however there seems to be a dark cloud hanging over the community and that's due to BPG's constant censorship on the forums, their bull-headed attitude when it comes to the roadmap for the game, and their refusal to have an open and transparent conversation about pressing issues like hacking and game design.

It's unfortunate that the solutions to these problems are so apparent and that the community as a whole has been beating BPG over the head with them for literal years and they refuse to listen.

All that negativity aside, if you want to find fights, you'll find them easily. If you want to get a viable character, that will be easy too.

9. Sero

Sero Gnoll Vilegaunt
    Loyal Legend

Best state its been in since a while. Still needs work ofc, but its getting better.

Oresmacker, Billy Lee and Mea Kulpa like this.
  10. Thrill Kill

Thrill Kill Goblin Shaman
    Supporter

As stated, it's not bad and still the only thing out there that will keep the attention of some of us.

Mea Kulpa likes this.
  11. Neilk

Neilk Web Development & System Admin
    Staff Member Team Lead

Best not to attempt to guess numbers when you are so far off the mark. Think about how we would even afford server costs with 300 actives? Nevermind having two full-time developers employed.

@otoan Game has been the most active it's been since slightly after launch, next patch should see us grow even more with some advertisements.

12. Ateerix

Ateerix Goblin Scout
    Legend

It's actually decent right now, population is better than it was a couple months ago, it's good around primetimes, but can turn into a ghost town in the off hours. Game is in a very zergy state right now, there's realistically only 10 or so clans doing clan things, and most people funnel into the top 2, which leads to a zerg heavy experience when doing things. Sometimes you get rolled on by 15 people at a village, other times you take it without seeing anyone. It's weird. Kind of makes me wish there were clan roster limits and alliance limits. But whatever, it's free, so why wouldn't you come check it out and see for yourself? Can easily farm up enough to buy a token off the market as well to have a full account.

As a returning player, I've found it difficult to gear up and I do find myself out geared most times, but I just don't like the idea of joining one of the huge zerg clans, so that's probably my problem. It would be nice though if it were a tad bit easier for smaller groups, new and returning players, or solo players to gear up better. Every village I've gone to I've been killed by people wearing minimum infernal, and all of them have silverbranches or mage siege bags. For the rewards you get now, the risk when you don't have a bank worth of gear to lose makes it not worth it. It's still do-able though. Just takes more time and frustration.

Blaze and Mea Kulpa like this.
  13. Blaze

Blaze Chosen of Khamset

Its a good time to come back imo, Join a clan or do your thing solo, you can easily find pvp, or you can avoid it depending what spawns you go to, if you to to less popular spawns you can prob farm in peace, if you got to mid map you might get lucky and be able to farm 1-2 hours without being spotted just depends on the day and time and your luck.
    As for population I would say it's pretty decent considering Rex is back so BW alliance is a lot more active now it seems so thats a plus, a lot of fights happen due to sieges.
    The population is def better than it was at the end of last year.

Mea Kulpa likes this.
  14. HenkBot

HenkBot Goblin Scout
    Contributor

Gamestate overall is good, game is playable, population is decent at the moment. Im still seeing new players and still getting killed at spawns. As probably mentioned above the main problem is the politics ingame and the lack of new content.

Even with those problems there is no better day to start playing then today. Get yours while it lasts. Have fun brother.

Mea Kulpa likes this.
  15. Blaze

Blaze Chosen of Khamset

Personally I don't enjoy villages only time i go is if my noobs want to go, or if I know a force of other big group is camping them i go. I would never recommend villages for solo players just not how it works atm. If you want solo pvp and decent loot Go to leenspar golem/Thyril/Dark Dragons/ these are prone to more small scale and if u kill the mobs they are better loot than villages give.

Yomi Scythetalon likes this.
  16. Not_Primetime

Not_Primetime Spellgazer
    Wealthy Legend

Game is free to play so log in and find out for yourself. That way you don't make uniformed post and observations about a game you're not playing just to bash it. Oops to late...

17. Schnid

Schnid Gravelord
    Hero

After looking at the clans tab I'm counting about 500 but of course we know a lot of that is alts and/or free to play players and/or people who aren't active but still subscribe to the game. We also know that cumulatively, the entire server's siege force does not exceed 300 players so if I'm so far off where are these other players you claim exist?

Of course your comment begs the question: If I'm so far off and you have access to the actual figures and can provide proof, why not do so?

Also, if you have two full time developers how do you explain the complete lack of any meaningful content being added to the game in two years time?

18. Kol Taggar

Kol Taggar Infernal
    Loyal Legend

Someone appears to have deleted the post about GM's having the ability to read folk's ingame whispers, and my post asking if it was fake news.

This kindof seems to imply it is in fact not fake news?

19. Nat

Nat Shadow Knight
    Legend

They do have the ability to access PMs as stated in the TOS for cases of moderation and arbitration. It's the same for all MMOs. Problem people have been having is instances of them abusing the access.

Inkarnation likes this.
  20. WithoutShame

WithoutShame Infernal
    Supporter

that's a paddlin deletin

Nat, Kol Taggar and Schnid like this.