Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

how to make archery a viable playstyle

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by l0st exile, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Scrapnotcrap

Scrapnotcrap Eodrin
    Hero

Add toxic arr I mean...

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  2. Sylvas Alstratam

Sylvas Alstratam Goblin Warrior

While I do agree Archery could use some love. For a lot of players who love the archery aspect of the game... UW merely wet their pallets at being able to do it full time. Having said that a lot of those "abilities" seem OP as all hell. First question I have is do the arrows have to land at the exact spot for the "ability" to happen? Such as root shot... Do you have to hit them directly in the feet to make it work, same for Bleed Snipe, Eye Shot and etc. If so then you are only begging for hackers to come out the wood work and perfect an Aimbot for the DF Engine. Second question is what are you going to do about all the mages that will be bitching and whining that they no longer control the ranged side of a fight.

I very much doubt mounted archery will ever enter the game. It's hard enough for a lot of players trying to escape with begone, frag, stormblast and etc combined with bunny hop.

3. euseka

euseka Goblin Warrior

You genuinely believe that there is no design space left uncovered by magic that would allow archery to get an ability that isn't just point and do damage?

And even if the problem were "sure then you're just making it casting spells with a bow, why not give it to magic cause we don't need magic??" well the answer could also be "because it's going to archery, change to your bow and do it if you want to do it. i think the term was... git gud?"

I'm not advocating archery getting a rake of spells and being just another spell school. But it's the perfect skill to be developing to tweak the metagame in the direction you want.

DarkGhost25 likes this.
  4. EarthMother

EarthMother Earth Elemental
    Supporter

Responses in this thread are a great representation of why this game will fail. "Combats perfect"

5. DarkGhost25

DarkGhost25 Black Knight
    Contributor Hero

There are tons of cool archery abilities that could be added and not break the game, nobody is asking for super of stuff. Here are some examples:

Wounding Shot: Slightly higher damage than a regular shot, costs extra stamina, 10 second cooldown: If you hit your target they receive -20% less health from all healing effects for 8 seconds.

Tracer Shot: Less damage than a regular shot, 10 second cooldown: If you hit your target they are illuminated with green wisps of light that persist for 30 seconds. This visual effect can be seen even while blinded.

And here is an example of a new melee attack that wouldn't break the game:

Disorienting Blow: Small stamina cost, 20 second cooldown: If you hit your target their mana costs are increased by 10% for 20 seconds.

None of these abilities are op, they're just fun and flavorful. They don't need to be game breaking, they're just options available to anyone, some will use them, some won't.

6. Down Syndrome

Down Syndrome Fire Elemental
    Legend

The potential DPS from archery is much higher than it's magical counterpart. There's really no effects that you can add to arrows that doesn't either make archery OP or already exist in the game as magic. If you want a bunch of magical abilities, use a staff. If you want good aim rewarding high DPS use a bow. If you want both, use a staff and a bow as the situation calls for it.

"Wounding Shot" - Don't increase the damage potential of the highest potential DPS. Also this effect already exists in a slightly different form as the Undeath spell.

"Tracer Shot" - Making an effect that's easily visible through blinds makes blinds rather pointless. Also this more or less already exists in game as a spell.

"Disorienting Blow" - Kind of a pointless ability. You'd be better off to use a power attack. Except for a couple spells most of them cost very little to cast, 10% of next to nothing is pretty much nothing.

7. Sero

Sero Menhir Sentinal
    Loyal Legend

"I WANT TO WORK FOR SOME SELENTINE. SO MAKE THE SELENTINE GOLEM APPEAR NEXT TO ME SO I DONT HAVE TO WORK FOR IT."

BWAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAH.

HEY. CARE TO SHARE WHAT HOLDING YOU LIVE OUT OF HOMIE?

upload_2017-6-25_10-14-41.gif

Theres 5. Also: I concur grimtide, perhaps a selentine golem;

CENTER MAP, NEXT TO THE GARDAROC/DARK DRAGONS/GARGANTUAS/DEVILS/DEMON

BWAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAA.

upload_2017-6-25_10-15-35.gif upload_2017-6-25_10-15-36.gif upload_2017-6-25_10-15-36.gif
    --- Post updated ---
    Whats wrong? Care to share your opinion? I can't wait to DESTROY you.

Featherbeans, Grimtide and Fengor like this.
  8. DarkGhost25

DarkGhost25 Black Knight
    Contributor Hero

Every mmo I've played has archers with special shots, it's the very basics that people expect and get turned off of the game when they realize that playing an archer is just click spam. Your critiques of the special shots are clearly biased and there is nothing wrong with them, disorienting blow was made intentionally weak just so you wouldn't complain about it being op. I can't make it any more clear than this, people want to play as archers and they don't want it to be boring, what we have now is boring.

Sero likes this.
  9. Sero

Sero Menhir Sentinal
    Loyal Legend

Holy fucking shit. We got one boys.

#89 Sero, Jun 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
    DarkGhost25 likes this.
  10. Jonah_Veil

Jonah_Veil Chosen of Khamset
    Supporter Streamer

Didn't know people were this gullible

11. Down Syndrome

Legend

You mean class based mmos where you get access to a very specific skill set depending on your class and no access to the rest of the skills in the game?

Apples to oranges comparison.

My critiques are biased? How so? Your abilities were to increase the dps of the highest possible dps AND add a debuff on top of it... I'm not even gonna discuss the fact that you can already counter most blinds, you just want an easy mode way to counter it.

Sero likes this.
  12. DarkGhost25

DarkGhost25 Black Knight
    Contributor Hero

This game has classes though, that's where you're being fooled. Heavy hybrid, destroyer, mage. Effectively the same thing as classes, you can only make minute adjustments to personalize your kit. Now if the game had more diversity, then it would not be a class based game. We can add diversity by introducing new special attacks, new gear, new spells, etc.

The reason I said your critiques are biased is because you don't seem to be fairly analyzing suggestions and instead classifying everything as magic with a bow, which is a very flimsy classification, especially when special bow attacks can be 100% mundane. Dps boost or not, what I gave you were examples, and an increase in dps at the expense of stamina is a very basic balancing point. Again, I said a slight increase to damage, the debuff is very reasonable considering that mages have droves of pure cheese utilities which makes them the best build in the game by far imho. Regarding your concern of the tracking shot, the point is to be able to maintain dps and call out a focus fire target and make them easier to track for an entire team. This is the kind of thing that is optional, not mandatory, and we need more things like that.

13. Down Syndrome

Legend

Are you seriously that dense. You're arguing semantics, "special attacks with a bow" = "magic". It doesn't matter what you call it it's the same fucking thing. Magic exists in the game, it takes a staff to cast it. Your "special bow attacks" are literally just clones of spells.

You want to slow down how fast someone regains hp. It's in the game
    asdfasdfadsfasdf.png

Your tracking shot is already in the game. Turn your pixel shader up past 1.1, Go cast this spell on a player or mob so you can see.
    asdfasdfasdf.png

Scrubby Bear and Sero like this.
  14. Sero

Sero Menhir Sentinal
    Loyal Legend

BWHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA.

Scrubby Bear likes this.
  15. DarkGhost25

DarkGhost25 Black Knight
    Contributor Hero

Special attacks with a bow = magic, huh? What do you call special attacks with a melee weapon? Magic? How about a 360 degrees AOE attack? Why is THAT okay? Let's toss in seize, knockback, and power attack, it's fine, but archery having any kind of special attack = broken?

You are grasping at straws by bringing up beacon, it does zero damage and that's why nobody uses it. Undeath also does zero damage, again, nobody uses it in pvp. Obviously the special attacks I described are for pvp.

16. Sero

Sero Menhir Sentinal
    Loyal Legend

YOU DONT WANT ARCHERY TO HAVE A SPECIAL ATTACK, YOU WANT IT TO HAVE A MAGIC ATTACK.

DarkGhost25 likes this.
  17. DarkGhost25

DarkGhost25 Black Knight
    Contributor Hero

Lol.

Sero likes this.
  18. Down Syndrome

Legend

So you want the highest ranged DPS and Utility stacked on top of it? I'm done with you too I can't fix stupid.

Scrubby Bear likes this.
  19. euseka

euseka Goblin Warrior

Everyone can use a bow. Git gud

Sero and DarkGhost25 like this.
  20. DarkGhost25

DarkGhost25 Black Knight
    Contributor Hero

Man, your arguments are horrendously flawed and you're smart enough to realize that but you're just being stubborn and turning your brain off. I guess that's how you got your alias.

Sero likes this.