Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

how to make archery a viable playstyle

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by l0st exile, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Grimtide

Grimtide Evil Eye
    Legend

actually in the hands of a good player all of those abilities are OP

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    Inkarnation likes this.
  2. DarkGhost25

DarkGhost25 Black Knight
    Contributor Hero

How can you say they're OP without any statistics? Do you think eye rot and wall of force are not OP? How about instant rays, magma and whirlwind? Archery spam versus endless utility and super powered spells, idk, does not seem balanced to me. Above all though, archery needs to be spiced up, it's far too boring. There is a reason nearly every one that starts out as a melee/archery player becomes a mage.

Skelly likes this.
  3. Grimtide

Grimtide Evil Eye
    Legend

I'm all for making archery more interesting but not by casting spells with a bow.

4. DarkGhost25

DarkGhost25 Black Knight
    Contributor Hero

Are you casting spells with your melee weapon when you use whirlwind, knockback, seize, and power attack?

5. Grimtide

Grimtide Evil Eye
    Legend

Nope those are good examples of the type of attacks i'd like. Different arrow types and hotkeys to swap arrows, possibly expensive arrows that weigh a decent bit.

Sero likes this.
  6. DarkGhost25

DarkGhost25 Black Knight
    Contributor Hero

So you want an arrow that pulls someone closer, an aoe arrow (explosive shot, basically a spell), a knockback arrow, and a power attack arrow, an arrow that hits harder and has some kind of effect, which is basically magic by your definition, isn't it? I'm not being critical, I'm just a bit confused as to how you're seeing this.

Different types of arrows and more expensive arrows would be neat, I'll agree with that. A lot of special attacks for bows are such that I do not consider them magical, like a healing debuff arrow, that doesn't seem magical, it could be called poisonous arrow. A long range, accurate shot, again, this does not seem magical to me, it seems more like the archer is putting extra energy and focus into a long distance shot.

7. Grimtide

Grimtide Evil Eye
    Legend

I didn't say i wanted them to do the same things as the melee skills ;p

pretty sure basic arrows can pull you already with just normal shots.

Healing debuff seems dumb and could be insanely broken but poison arrows, or overcharging your bow to shoot a higher dmg straight line shot instead of arc. Theres lots of small things they could do with archery without making it like UW (which is what i want to avoid).

DarkGhost25 likes this.
  8. DarkGhost25

DarkGhost25 Black Knight
    Contributor Hero

I was not a fan of UW archery either, especially explosive shot, now that is what I do consider to be a bow spell attack. Trueshot was op but I liked the concept of it, puncture was fine imo, salvo was bullshit obviously, exploit weakness was somewhere in the middle for me.

A healing debuff I think is kind of interesting, debatable I guess but I think it would be cool if it was expensive and you could use it to increase your chance of securing a kill when you get someone on the ropes. I suppose this would be a nerf to you since you are one of the best squirrelers on the server :p The overcharging concept is one I'm fond of, I can't see any problem with it, it also remedies one of my main gripes of archery, how telegraphed the shots are compared to rays.

I do think there is lots of room to spice up archery, I mean, if greataxes can have the power attack they do, and polearms have something similar, I think something like exploit weakness is possible. I am not a fan of really cheesy stuff for archery, I want it to remain skill based.

Grimtide likes this.
  9. Grimtide

Grimtide Evil Eye
    Legend

Yup as long as exploit weakness isn't WAY stronger than the pierce debuff I think that would be ok if it cost a decent amount of stats and had a decent cooldown/charge time (and maybe 7 sec duration?)

DarkGhost25 likes this.
  10. HeganHatsumo

HeganHatsumo Infernal

LMFAO all SKILLSHOTS must collide with the respectable body part

- i vote this guy into the darkfall super secret inner circle brainstorms.

Sero likes this.
  11. Salival

Salival Skeleton Archer
    Hero

Yeah...true...unless blinds, knockups, wof + ray spams etc etc...

First month of this shit games launch everyone was saying nerf destros...blah blah blah, I just replied..wait until the mages get maxed out...which is what it is now...and just like in DFO....destros are once again at a major disadvantage....for end game....doubt it will change.

Not sure why I am even posting.....I play 1-2 hrs a week now lol.

DarkGhost25 likes this.
  12. RootedOak

RootedOak Oak Lord
    Legend

https://forums.darkfallriseofagon.com/threads/list-of-destroyer-buffs.12827/

Inkarnation likes this.
  13. Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe Crypt Guard

The problem is everyone would have access to whatever new archer skills/abilities are added. And that would mean hybrids being even mo OP then they currently are.

Hell, A easy stupid fix would be something along the lines of if you have a bow equipped for X amount of time then it enables new abilities... however if you switch to a wand the timer resets and abilities are disabled. The time would have to be tested. 20 seconds 40 seconds whatever.
    basically it would mean if you use archery longer.... you get extra damage/abilities.. which would mean a hybrid would be ruled out of benefiting from them. (but would of course also mean no heals, which would suck)

14. Sacrillegious

Sacrillegious Fire Elemental
    Loyal Hero

15. Inkarnation

Inkarnation Frostjarl
    Legend

is this the thread we have to get to 50 pages?

16. The Red King

The Red King Black Knight
    Loyal Legend

I think if a arrow was slightly faster with a very slight less arc we would see a bunch of archers in here.

Destros don’t suck, their skill ceiling is just too high for the average pleb. Don’t miss a shot and see how fast you wreck a mage lol.

Speeding up the arrow and lowering the arc is a dangerous fine line that you would have to go in very small amounts to get a better sweet spot. But right now having to aim on prediction all the time, it’s tough to hit the guys with great movement.

17. Sorrow Avaritia

Sorrow Avaritia Obsidian Golem
    Hero

Skill ceiling is higher for mage =0.

18. Skelly

Skelly Crypt Guard

+1 for diversity

Except 4 the new disney movie star wars all the new character suck ass

But seriously more play style get rid of destroand mage killer think perks will help a ton

Battle Smurf likes this.
  19. chad

chad Infernal
    Loyal Hero

Inkarnation and Fengor like this.
  20. Inkarnation

Inkarnation Frostjarl
    Legend

Thank you for the bump chad, hopefully devs see this and realise its the only right way to save combat and achieve ultimate balance with these new armors
    That and removing archery encumbrance from the game