Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

How to make Darkfall have 10,000 players online at a time.

Discussion in 'Game Design Discussion' started by Pink Taco, Jan 9, 2018.

?

Would you like to see this system in ROA?

1. Yes

76.5%
  2. No

23.5%
  1. Lord Zanuul

Lord Zanuul Spellgazer
    Legend

Yeah that's what I figured so my suggestion is for them just to clone islands and let that be load ins so you can choose to fight on Carn niff Ruby yassm

As I said before love the idea

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    Ursa Major and Pink Taco like this.
  2. Oresmacker

Oresmacker Obsidian Golem
    Supporter

I think being able to spectate these games would be freaking awesome

Squanto, Tyrie, Fengor and 1 other person like this.
  3. Pink Taco

Pink Taco Black Knight
    Hero

Holdings would have value due to the mob spawns near them. Challenger gear mats would be decently contested by top players, there would be more diamond players tho... and they are quite decent :)
    Spectating would be done in the same manner as like league. You'd be floating around basically like a GM free to watch the fight from whatever angle you like- and not impeding or lagging the fight with your presence in the slightest.

Oresmacker likes this.
  4. Bound

Bound Project Manager
    Staff Member

I don't think arenas need to increase holding value. Territory Control and one-day factions will do that. An arena is an individual activity, for the most part it shouldn't be tied to a group effort.

Carrot Soup likes this.
  5. Pink Taco

Pink Taco Black Knight
    Hero

I don't think they need to per say, but could to some degree none the less due to contested spawns/champions nearby... but that kind of has to do with arena and kind of doesn't :D

6. Dartemiss

Dartemiss Air Elemental
    Legend

I thought this was going to say "Make it free with a Cash shop for skins and unique (Non advantage giving) items"

Because that'd do it

7. phuture

phuture Goblin Shaman
    Loyal Legend

I really like this idea. +1

I would also love to see a way for players to duel without durability loss / reagent usage, sort of like a dueling arena from Runescape. This way you could always practice without worry (this won't affect your 'elo' of course.) and it will allow players to test out new things while potentially versing players of a higher skill level. A way to spectate would be cool too but I'd imagine it could cause lag or w/e might happen when there's too many people in one place at once.

Pink Taco and Ursa Major like this.
  8. Pink Taco

Pink Taco Black Knight
    Hero

Don't think some cosmetic items and making an already free game more free would pull it off :(

Fengor and Oresmacker like this.
  9. Ursa Major

Ursa Major Goblin Scout

Nobody thinks territory control will help the pop though. I think everyone at BPG needs to get their priority's straight and work towards a goal that will help the game. In my opinion this is one of many GREAT ideas to move towards that goal. territory control is not, unless you are looking to make a rust remake (darkfall edition)

Pink Taco, Fengor and Oresmacker like this.
  10. kilrain

kilrain Shadow Knight
    Staff Member Developer Team Lead

Everyone's opinion for that magical addition is different. The truth is all of the above. Not one single thing is going to bring people back in droves, but a compilation of changes and additions will tip the scales for many from "I don't want to play because of x and x and x and x" to "Ok, there are enough positives I think I will give it a try"

11. Grimtide

Grimtide Evil Eye
    Legend

Yes well, perception and reality are funny things.

Really like this idea grim poo.

Pink Taco and Ursa Major like this.
  12. Creampiecathy

Creampiecathy Goblin Warlord

Damn Grim this idea is unreal, I would stream this 24/7 quit my job and make Jordan support us if this was implemented!

Player1, Grimtide, Pink Taco and 3 others like this.
  13. The Red King

The Red King Black Knight
    Loyal Legend

If the masses could see the skill and how fun the combat is in Roa it would blow up, so I disagree with you. This would make RoA streamable and fair and could do the trick. Plus it would teach newbs how to fight in the open world hence making better fights = win win

Fengor and Pink Taco like this.
  14. Squanto

Squanto Frostjarl
    Legend

The Idea I had would be that this arena server would be a seperate server on the lobby, but would be tied to the real game with the loadouts that you need to fill in with farmed/crafted full dura armour. You would load into the Arena server lobby whenever you launched it through the RoA launcher. You can sit there and view loadouts you deposited, choose what section you want to queue into (1v1-5v5, battle royale, ect) spectate games, ect.

Since this arena would be on a seperate server than the live one, BPG could remove all AI/holdings/ect from this world and just leave terrain. They can add opaque domes over a 200-500meter radius area (random on the map) and have each area have an 'open' or 'in progress' status; based on if they have people in them or not. There is enough terrain on the map to have 500+ areas like this, easily.

Once you get sent into the area where you fight, anything goes. You would want to make the lobby similar to how CS is and allow people to view other games/matches, spectate, add friends (tie it into the live servers friends) ect. Lot of stuff would still need to be worked out, but this system would benefit the RoA live server the most out of any arena system that has been brought up.

Would take a lot of code and work to do this right, but the main idea of it would be that you have to play the main game to be able to play the arena. You could give each player 5 or so starter loadouts they could use at a low elo to learn the game, but after they use those or hit a certain elo level they would have to farm their loadouts on live server. Live server would then be for pvers, sieges, conquest, large scale stuff.. and fighting to get loadouts over the arena.

Fengor, Pink Taco and Ursa Major like this.
  15. gosti

gosti Frostjarl
    Legend

Anyone still believes there's a 10k-player demand for darkfall's PvP?

16. Oresmacker

Oresmacker Obsidian Golem
    Supporter

With an elo ranking system, yes.

The Red King, Fengor and Pink Taco like this.
  17. Mc Nasty

Mc Nasty Obsidian Golem
    Legend

It sounds like a good idea but we forget df players are not as hardcore as we think.

I mean how often do the top clans siege each other or prearrange even fights. Never

I’m all for trying to keep the wolves off the sheep to a certain extent, but this would take significant dev resources and I would hate for it to be empty because a player or group is stronger than the rest and nobody wants to challenge.

I can already see some of these cancer players using alts to stomp lower ranks.

Sounds good in theory though

Pink Taco likes this.
  18. Avenging Martyr

Avenging Martyr Celestial
    Legend

Man I've tried arguing for this for a long time. There should be an optional private match and betting section. So people could do 10k wagers or maybe bet enchanting mats or gear if they wanted.

Private matches should cost 5k per person per match and optional 2v2 or 3v3 etc with options for single match or 2 out of 3 etc. Winner gets their gold back 5k per person. Losers gold is sunk into system (So it's expensive to push most to seek world PvP and a gold sink)

Use your arena paper doll full dura system and allow people to bet their gear and inspect their opponents gear.

Allow new players 30 days of free arena use for private or public duels and charge others.

Fengor and Pink Taco like this.
  19. gosti

gosti Frostjarl
    Legend

Really? You think 40+ binds or bust is more attractive than CS or quake champions?

20. The Cannibal

The Cannibal Gravelord

Great idea but let's be real, say BPG halted everything to push for this, we would see it implemented in 4th quarter of 2020. Small company yadda yadda yadda. This company doesn't like to hire a team so they can use the small company excuse as a scapegoat.