Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

How will my clan mates and myself know this game won't be corrupt

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SenseiSpades, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Mortimer

Mortimer Deadeye

There's no argument that will mend a once broken trust spades. I'm sure if you give them the chance they will prove themselves to you, for all that matters I wouldn't be against the logs to be open to public for example.

Furthermore the playerbase knows a lot of things that Could be flagged to make sure a gm can't for example instead of spawning items be stealing devil loot instead for 2 months and then selling it on auctions.

If you want to make sure - give your input and help the guys evolve.

2. Xipos<3

Xipos<3 Stormgraive
    Legend

AV =/= BPG.

I'm sure the fans that went to the length to create a company to bring the game back won't shit on their own effort :p

Fengor likes this.
  3. Hyld

Hyld Infernal
    Legend

Ok, I should have suggested EVE as an example.

In any case, any game, company, structure, religion, sport-team, government body, nation etc. risks to have some form of corruption in its ranks and no system if foolproof, this should neither make you faithless nor, on the other-hand, you should be too naive, keep your guard up but hope for the best or you will achieve or trust nothing in life.
    Good point you brought though, hopefully they will do their best to take care of it.

Regards
    HG

4. Arkillion

Arkillion Dire Zombie

mad NA trolls

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  5. Truedon

Truedon Spellgazer

Looking good Arkillion ! :kissingheart:

6. Keflon

Keflon Dire Zombie
    Supporter

Hi Spades.

Xipos<3 likes this.
  7. SupDude

SupDude Gravelord
    Legend

Andrew , what does prevent one of your guy to just talk a lot of inside infos to his clan ? This is a game where every informations , even a little one , matters. And you cannot really check that and do the police , it's not like the guy will use some dev/admin/gm tools/commands or anything.

Hell , for example on df1 officers and leader from one clan ( it was 1year+ after release ) had patch notes content 1week before it actually release. You literally have no way to prevent everything , you can't force people not to talk at all sadly. Majority of dfo players underestimated what people were willing to do to get some advantage over others , being informations,pixels,siege-related,clan-related, or actions outside of the game like comms etcetc ; everything is important because of the game mechanics and what you have to gain and loose. Don't make the same mistakes.

That being said ; i wish the game succeeds like it deserve , and with corruption level close to 0.

Now bring us what we've been waiting for since they shut down the original game <3

Heldana likes this.
  8. Neilk

Neilk Web Development & System Admin
    Staff Member Team Lead

I'm speaking for myself here and not the company but I think the answer is obvious. The answer is transparency, you publish the roadmap of what's going to be worked on and the patch notes in advance. This doesn't need to be shrouded in secrecy like everything has been with the game for the past decade.

Dixie Normus, Fengor, Xipos<3 and 2 others like this.
  9. Uzik

Uzik Wildtribe Mage
    Legend

Most MMO's don't have issues with this. DFO had problems because first AV just hired random Greeks off the streets who couldn't speak English and didn't know how to play the game, and then they decided to just use their BFF players from their favorite IG clans without any oversight which was probably cheaper, but a horrible choice.

People need to separate the retarded shit AV did away from what any normal development company would do.

Owyn Magnus and Hyld like this.
  10. Kilset

Kilset Black Knight
    Hero

I don't have any fears of this. They are developing a game as a company not a community raising an emulator.

11. foggen

foggen Goblin Warrior

I think some high profile players would have some doubts regarding their personal information with the setup and the fact that the game is run by players who might dislike them for their former and future ingame actions.

I also share supdudes worries about information leaks and benefits towards people in close relation to gamemasters and founders.

Just my own thoughts.

#51 foggen, Jan 31, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
  12. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee Goblin Scout

At this point in my life I am much more interested in developing DF into a better game and product than I am actually playing the damn game.

Everyone's fears are unfounded because of a crucial difference between what BPG is doing and what a lot of people reviving dead MMOs are doing.

BPG is relaunching DF as a commercial product, not a free-shard. This isn't some hobby project where there isn’t money involved.

Ask yourself the following questions…

Would YOU risk your JOB to give a friend a leg up in a game?

How would GMs get around the tracking system being implemented to track + log what each GM is doing AT ALL TIMES?

Why would Andrew invest his own money into a dream project (While having a newborn) only to risk losing it by allowing anyone on his company’s team to hand out stuff to friend’s / guild members?

Dixie Normus likes this.
  13. Dixie Normus

Dixie Normus Black Knight
    Legend

I have some concerns as well, however I believe Andrew and the others want this to be a successful business. I guess only time will tell and I'm sure EVERYONE will be watching closely.

14. Neilk

Staff Member Team Lead

Like I've said above the answer to this is transparency with patch notes, transparency with actions for example somebody suggested global system announcement if a GM spawns anything in game and we also have some other ideas around this we want to check for feasibility.

This is a business not a player run emulator server. People have invested a lot of money and also a lot of time to get this project to where it is. I personally have been spending 20+ hours on this project per week for the past 5/6 months along with my 40 hours of a day job.

Also there will be no volunteer GM's if people think that's an issue. All GM's will be hired externally.

15. foggen

foggen Goblin Warrior

I personally think YOU have the best interest for this game but I dont know about the volunteer GM's and so fourth that might get onboard later on do etc.

I know how much information I aquired via channels I should not of gotten it from in the first place during df1. Obviously you are not the same company but you were apart of this community and know very well about these things.
    These people were developers, GM's and friends of the earlier mentioned. It was ugly intel wars.

I am not pointing any fingers as of yet but never the less a valid question to ask.

16. Neilk

Staff Member Team Lead

There will be no volunteer GM's I think we all agree that is a terrible idea. We can remove the intel issue with announcing our roadmap and announce the patch notes well in advance. Hopefully that will remove that factor.

17. foggen

foggen Goblin Warrior

Sounds like a step in the right direction. What about developers playing their own game in clans as it comes to politics and dirty wars and sensitive information. That one will be harder to adress I guess.

18. Carrot Soup

Carrot Soup Celestial
    Legend

Our biggest concern as a community is that the game will be 'done right' the first time around. We all know that GM's from AV were prone to 'not seeing' the exploit abuse, bugging of mobs, glitching, or outright hacking of their friends and clans of their friends, or clans that the GM's were in on their alts.

I sat and watched a GM show a guy in my clan (edit: my OLD clan) how to glitch one of the golems into a corner so that it couldn't move. This should not happen. Yes they need to play the game in order to understand it and know the problems other players face, but....

1. it would be great if GM's were prohibited from being in "player" clans.
    2. GM activities were logged and made available to the public, not necessarily in game but maybe on the website once a week or something.
    3. some sort of 'contractual' assurance that GM's would be monitored constantly and that they would follow the guidelines or be fired (maybe in the ToS) so that we as 'customers' can rest at ease that there's at least some sort of accountability in the legal customer/company agreement.
    4. there should be some sort of 'tip line' where players can report suspected hackers/glitchers/exploiters and corrupt GM's or suspicious GM activity... i feel that just sending a /gm_report isnt enough, there should be a secure admin email that typical GMs do not have access to for players to report inappropriate activity.

my two carrots worth.

#58 Carrot Soup, Feb 1, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
  19. Neilk

Staff Member Team Lead

Ya I agree with everything you have said. These were huge issues the first time around. Our list of bugs grows daily and we hope the community will help us during alpha/beta instead of keeping them to exploit at launch.

I think Andrew mentioned @Hugo will be acting as the company ombudsman where players can go to if they suspect corruption.

foggen likes this.
  20. Ninogan

Ninogan Guest

Nothing new. Devs usually play their own game. In EVE they are not supposed to be found out and if do they have to name change and it's a huge process. When I worked at Sandbox Interactive the CEO of the company played openly together with a clan and there was no problems. Me and other game devs were given an account to play on in whatever clan we wanted to as well but of course those accounts had no powers so you're just like a regular player.

If we'd use an admin account on the live server to spawn anything or whatever that'd be picked up by the logs instantly and our Technical Director would see it and your career would probably be quite ruined :p

As long as they know how to run their game, keep logs and just do what most mmo companies have done for ages it should be no worries. It would be quite a feat to run a company as bad as Aventurine did.