Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Huge fix for spawn jumping.

Discussion in 'Game Design Discussion' started by Shieldbreaker, Jun 1, 2019.

1. Shieldbreaker

Shieldbreaker Deadeye
    Benefactor

4th bar, on top of health, call it shields or armour or pve health or whatever.

100-200hp buffer, pvp damage completely ignores it, mayhaps dedicated spells to refill it, mob damage hurts it before hurting hitpoints.

Viola, you now have more of a fighting chance if jumped at a spawn.

For added bonus, the buffer could scale up from mobs killed, slowly, so some master pve dude could have a 500hp pve buffer.

Chantree and Fawley like this.
  2. Fawley

Fawley Infernal
    Legend

I agree with this or something that gets the same benefit across. Never in the 10 years that darkfall has been alive that I've been jumped by a player and they give me the opportunity to heal up to have an even fight. And that's assuming it's just 1 guy jumping me solo farming. Really dumb that the guy farming and creating PVP opportunities and the one being jumped is risking more and has way lower odds of winning any fights.

EDIT: You could tie the PVE health buffer to the PVE tasks you complete. This would also allow for introducing harder PVE encounters I think. Could even have damage reduction and damage buffs for PVE from tasks completed.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    Shieldbreaker likes this.
  3. Blaze

Blaze Varangian Warthane

Idk when I pve I always keep my stats topped above 90% and if I go below that I do a whole heal cycle and shield up, agree tho getting jumped at a spawn sucks :(

4. Andrew

Andrew Obsidian Golem
    Staff Member BPG Representative

An interesting idea but I'm not sure it would be balanced as it would add a serious amount of tankage to some mobs and alter the expected difficulty of mobs.

As an alternative idea to this discussion what if PvE actions caused a PvP shield to fill up? Nothing crazy but maybe 100-200 points of damage to be mitigated. Essentially as you farm mobs and loot you would fill up this shield and it only is lowered by PvP damage or time if you stop PvE activities for a period of time(30-60 seconds?). This shield could be armourless and take full damage from player attacks so it would only ward off a handful. It is a bit contrived and out of place in some ways in the game world but it could help give the "jumped" a real chance to survive when they are the ones with more to lose against getting ambushed.

Just an off the top of my head thought.

Scrapnotcrap and Shieldbreaker like this.
  5. Shieldbreaker

Shieldbreaker Deadeye
    Benefactor

There are pretty much 0 difficult mobs, they are all just bullet sponges for the most part. The only mobs players die from time to time are champions and fire dragons, due to the insane damage they can deal if you mess up, and those could just be made to bypass the shield.

EDIT: As for the reverse-shield, it would work well, but it could swing the other way now, if you stay at 90-100%hp, you would actually start the fight against the jumper with an advantage.

Me, personally, I would not be against it, since odds are, the attacker is risking way less loot, but I still am more of a proponent of fair combat. I believe the attacker and the attackee should have a 50/50 chance, assuming both are equally good.

#5 Shieldbreaker, Jun 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
  6. Finnad

Finnad Air Elemental
    Legend

nah this is a totally immersion killing arena mechanic. if you get jumped farming you're probably at some sort of disadvantage, period. that's darkfall.

yeah darkfall totally needs more arranged 1v1s, that's what attracted everyone to this game back in '09

7. Shieldbreaker

Shieldbreaker Deadeye
    Benefactor

Isn't risking 50k+ more than the attacker and having no spell reflect up a big enough disadvantage?

8. Finnad

Finnad Air Elemental
    Legend

yeah it is. roaming spawns hasn't been very profitable though since the high pop days. any pve'er will make WAY WAY more per hour on average than even a good pvper roaming spawns.

9. Billy Lee

Billy Lee Varangian Warthane
    Team B Lifetime

Raptors have claimed more souls than you could imagine :D Trust me.

10. Scrapnotcrap

Scrapnotcrap Eodrin
    Hero

That would be great.

Also, how about turning loadlag into a true feature as-well? Most ppl who get jumped unware are the same ones that cannot feel load-lag or the ones who probably missed it. I always keep my eyes on what ever is animated. When the screen stops for a sec, i can tell somebody is around. So i never get jumped. Ppl who have better pc's don't feel load lag as good as those playing on toaster which gives an unfair advantage to the poor.

I mostly play fighting games. The company capcom would often take a bug or exploit and turn them into features for their next game.
    For darkfall, load lag has to become a feature with cool effects imo. I think it should come in form of a quick message that appears somewhere on screen for a second when ever an enemy appears where load-lag would usually occur. This feature should be toggle-able.

#10 Scrapnotcrap, Jun 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    negocromn likes this.
  11. Lexendros

Lexendros Infernal
    Legend

Hard fucking no.

Thrill Kill, DeadlyHit and Korag like this.
  12. Auron

Auron Celestial
    Hero

If you farm you have to heal youreself...the problem are ssd....all have ssd now and we dont have anymore loading lag....maybe you can try to add something for advise farmers when someone enter in the spawn...

Scrapnotcrap likes this.
  13. Pink Taco

Pink Taco Black Knight
    Hero

:( bad idea

14. Korag

Korag Evil Eye
    Hero

I mean getting jumped is part of the thrill of the game. If you go out and are killing dragons with 3 people and 3 people jump you and your not managing health or stats then that is on you. Do not deserve a buff for not playing smart. People jumping do not deserve to lose the advantage of sneaking up on you.. This is a horrible idea and goes against everything that Darkfall is about.
    --- Post updated ---
    anyone worried about dying while doing anything in darkfall needs to go take a harder look at no loot pvp or arena type games. This is really dumb

Thrill Kill and Finnad like this.
  15. kilrain

kilrain Shadow Knight
    Staff Member Developer Team Lead

Just doesn't make any sense to me at all. It seems to just be an additional pve health bar making you stronger against pve. Now if pve and pvp were completely separate health bars, both taking you to gank mode it would at least make more sense.

Fengor, Dazz and Shieldbreaker like this.
  16. Auron

Auron Celestial
    Hero

2 hp bars one for pve and one for pvp... ?

17. Shieldbreaker

Shieldbreaker Deadeye
    Benefactor

Getting jumped is hardly a thrill, if you are below like 80% hp, 99% of times it is over. It is only a thrill when there is pvp happening. PvE farming is a great way to promote small scale/1v1 fights, so why is everyone so scared of the fight parts and wants it to be the current model, of the one getting jumped being unable to do anything so often?

I enjoyed my time farming leenspar golem in large part because you are usually full hp while fighting him, so you actually have a chance if someone jumps you. Why couldn't all mobs be made so?

That is essentually the idea. If it is easier to make it so death occurs on reaching 0 hp on either bar, that would be a good solution as well.

18. Korag

Korag Evil Eye
    Hero

The adrenaline rush from getting jumped and surviving or winning is a thrill and I have done it as have many people. Does not make sense to give a smart good player a shield vs another, then an avg. or not good player is going to get destroyed by the good player even if he gets jumped. People will know someone is farming somewhere and they will kill some mobs near by then run over with a pre shield much like pre surges in the old days and jump the other person. So many things wrong with this when you actually break it down and look at the consequences.

Thrill Kill and Blaze like this.
  19. Fawley

Fawley Infernal
    Legend

I think the people not liking some kind of equaling scale are not ones out farming solo often. As someone who solo farms a fuck ton and uses melee to farm because it's better money and faster, you'll almost never have a good chance unless the skill between you and the jumper is massive. When you melee mobs you often go down to half health because that's just the way it is. And in darkfall it's so so so easy to get blindsided. In other games you got this top down view and see pkers instantly. If you want people out farming then you need to balance this out. Nobody wants to go spend an hour farming for some asshat who happens to find you near the end of your farming session.

Theres no rush when you get jumped and lose your shit. It's just depression and makes you feel like shit and makes players quit often I bet.

Let's also take into co side ration that 95% of this forum is full of pkers that just want to gank people and the opions on here are heavily biased. Everyone else has left this game 7 years ago.

20. Korag

Korag Evil Eye
    Hero

Your wrong, I always farm solo as do many people against this. It is not profitable to farm in groups