Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

I guess I might as well be the first until a fix/tweak

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JasperHawkins, Dec 21, 2019.

1. Degamra

Degamra Winterbound
    Hero

BPG devs are so bound to their convictions that theyd literally rather intentionally tank the game at the expense of saving face and protecting their "work"

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  2. Sero

Sero Menhir Sentinal
    Loyal Legend

Tank the game? Where the fuck you been for the past 5 months? Scratch that, year. Year and a half. Games been tanked.

Even at the peak of the last server war there was probably 300 players max. This game was advertised for 10,000.

3. ThiefGarrett

ThiefGarrett Earth Elemental
    Contributor

I'm not sure where you people were at launch when people were screaming for changes like ones that have been done or attempted saying they were going to quit and they did, but it sounds just like you guys now. It's no different. Different people with different complaints. You can say people are being "yes men" all you want, but you're only saying it because you don't like the current changes. When the tables were turned and other people were complaining about the game direction you guys were on the other side of that "yes men" table.

It's clear bpg is trying to keep as much of what the hardcore player base wants while still allowing for a broader type of audience. If they weren't there wouldn't be a hostile flag and only pvp on or off. They've tried catering to more than one group this entire time and all the tug of war forum bs makes it worse. No one wins if there isn't compromise. You get your full loot pvp anywhere anytime and fewer people will be willing to put in the time and effort to play. We're all older and those of us that actually grew up can't afford the amount of time it requires to sustain fun gaming sessions.

Before someone says, "If you don't have the time to put into roa you shouldn't be playing it!" - THAT'S THE FUCKING PROBLEM!

Anyway, onto something that is potentially more constructive.

Move bigger loots to lawless, reduce loot in lawful, give some boss mobs or mini champions with 110 stat pots and other goodies down a tier or two from the top for the blues to play with. Move mines to the islands and center map? Keep mines in yellow for ore only. Put some mines out of cities for selentine that people can fight over. Make lawful villages not go lawless and reduce their rewards in comparison to lawless to compensate. Remove them all from billboards or only allow porting to the villages your current city zone is in.

Egrin, MaxiHori, Raap and 1 other person like this.
  4. Sero

Sero Menhir Sentinal
    Loyal Legend

Working out really good so far genius [​IMG]

I too like to make video games for people who are literally telling you they don't have time to play video games. What an excellent business strategy.

Remember when Blizzard went this route with their shit tier MMORPG and then decided to bring back the "tedious" version of classic WoW and get millions of people to resubscribe to their game. Good times.

#24 Sero, Dec 25, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2019
    Sique and Battle Smurf like this.
  5. Yomi Scythetalon

Yomi Scythetalon Oak Lord
    Wealthy Streamer Contributor Legend

They dont exist is exactly right.

6. ThiefGarrett

Contributor

WoW was already a casual game and time is only one factor, there are many. When you have over 10 million people playing your game and a few million leave over the years it's easy to get a few million back with a refresh. It's the equivalent to getting 20 people back in roa for a patch.

7. Sero

Sero Menhir Sentinal
    Loyal Legend

The RoA launch grind was probably the same length as the classic WoW 60 grind. "Already a casual game."

8. ThiefGarrett

Contributor

With zero risk. You have to add that to the equation.

9. Euchre

Euchre Skeleton Archer
    Patron Hero

I think it is more to the point of you don't have to MAKE a game casual. Casual play happens dynamically within a current game. It's all relative.

You make a game that fits a criteria, and the gamers that like those criteria will flock to it. When you change a game to try and fit everyone, nobody plays it, as its just a shell of itself. Yet isn't unique enough anymore to draw gamers looking for specific ideology in a game world.

Edit: I must add this is the same mistakes that have been made since this started back in 1997, over and over again. History keeps repeating itself, and nobody seems to learn from it.

Mea Kulpa likes this.
  10. ThiefGarrett

Contributor

If the world is too harsh it requires help to allow players the chance to be casual and still have a sense of worth.

Fitting a criteria is nice and all, but they are still a business that has operating costs and they need to make money. Just picture the number of players at launch, if they had stuck around it probably still wouldn't be enough to keep things rolling forever, hence the reason they started making drastic changes. They were saying they had at most 2 devs on pay roll and other people were continuing to volunteer? Ouch..

Doesn't look to me like there was ever enough interest as it was. Everyone who played says it had a lot of potential, but no one agrees on what changes were needed.

11. Sero

Sero Menhir Sentinal
    Loyal Legend

You're still getting ganked and sinking time in WoW classic. A LOT of downtime if the opposite faction decides to fk with you. It took an hour just to get into Blackrock Mountain when they released the honour system due to 10,000 pop servers camping Searing Gorge and dumbass blizzard not realizing releasing the honour system without BGs was stupid. Whats funny is blizzard is having to ramp up their content releases because everyone is level 60 and has raids on farm. Hrmmm... sounds familiar... everyone has hit cap and is getting bored...

There was no reason to change the rate of gains for skills. Especially when you later to decide to add things like a market, safe zone and who knows what else.

The team during Alpha/Beta was a lot larger than 2. 3k+ players at launch is PLENTY of interest for our Niche game. The game was nowhere near finished and fleshed out to maintain that population though. It was DFO + scrolls and minus portal chambers.

#31 Sero, Dec 25, 2019
  12. Scrapnotcrap

Scrapnotcrap Eodrin
    Loyal Hero

Would you play classic wow if it had no quest and almost everything was soloable/exploitable? Wait, if almost everything was better done solo...
    Let's be real, DF has 0 quest, it has titles that no one cares about. Only pve content is grinding the same mob for atleast an hour. That's boring as fuck. If DF was a single player game, it would be too easy. So, boring...

Darkfall is not wow and it never was wow. Wow is the king here when it comes to pve. I wouln't go and say that DF has better pvp because that's opinion, but darkfall makes my heart pump fast and that, even when i'm about to kill naked newb miner. That's why i never unsubbed from ROA, but i probably will now after this last patch.

When that happens and i can't relax, i miss-press a lot of keys(my keys are smaller closer than the usual keys on my keyboard so it's easy to miss-press a lot when i lose focus). that's how i died last night in fornite. In these games, you actually gotta drink some water too lol. I had 2 ppl left to kill. they were not even good(good at building, but bad aims), but my heart was rushing so fast that i miss pressed every single key. I Tried to pull a pump, but i pulled a wall. I Tried to pull the pump again, but i used the crouch button. I kept miss-pressing the wrong keys.
    Wow can never give you that rush.

When i wagered yomi, the same thing happened. On round one, i miss-pressed so many keys. On round 2, it was better and i think i got him at one hit left(2 health left). And i thank you for all these warm-ups. I wouln't even need that in a game like wow because i wouln't care too much about losing.

so i ask you, the same way that wow is addictive, BR games can be just as addictive, but that's stricktly from pvp. Why you think DF needs a grind? Because we are bored. Why do you refuse to apply the same mindset as us just to push for more pvp content. If we had endless pvp content worth doing day after day, i would be playing DF all day, i would farm all day too to make sure i stay ready. And i did that when VCP rewards were good.

#32 Scrapnotcrap, Dec 25, 2019
  13. Yomi Scythetalon

Yomi Scythetalon Oak Lord
    Wealthy Streamer Contributor Legend

Dont swear it man everyone gets nervous when they gotta fight me, I make movie stars out of Agon citizens.

Scrapnotcrap likes this.
  14. Sero

Sero Menhir Sentinal
    Loyal Legend

The grind is boring, so lets get rid of it?

OR

The grind is boring, so lets make it better?

You and the other clueless people fail to realize that in this MMORPG grind is content. Grind gets people out in the world. Wanna know what DOESNT get people out in the world? Nothing to fucking do. Wanna know what DOESNT get people to siege? Stupid fucking runebooks.

Actually ridiculous how clueless people can be toward things like this. It's a game world, not a insta-queue PVP battleground. It needs mechanics to function properly. Catering to the nonexistent casual playerbase has done nothing but cripple it.

It's not going to get any better lmfao. What kind of PVP objective do you think is going to matter? EVERYONES BANKS ARE STACKED. EVERYONES CHARACTERS ARE MAXED. WHAT ARE WE FIGHTING FOR?

Sique likes this.
  15. ThiefGarrett

Contributor

Turn wow full loot and I doubt anyone would stick around. It’s a big difference. People are complaining about losing time leveling because they get killed, now throw in time to get new gear.

going the other direction I think it’s safe to say the opposite could happen. Assuming the grind was the same as launch, you put in the safe zones and suddenly people are in a more “wow-like” situation where they are losing leveling time getting killed but not spending all their time getting new gear.
    Due to the hardcore roots no one wanted to change loot rules so to alleviate the pain they made different attempts like making lower tier better, resources easier to get, and littering the grind.

They just needed the zones. But no one wanted them.

16. Sero

Sero Menhir Sentinal
    Loyal Legend

They just needed a lot of things, but they started gutting things instead of adding things. Thats the problem. So now all these systems are being added with a gutted game and its not going to work like everyone wants to.

Say TCS gets added tomorrow. Say Safe zones are tweaked properly. Where does that leave us? What does TCS add? A way to get more loot? Are people still hurting for loot? To level their characters? Are people still leveling their characters? The gameplay loop has been condensed into a much shorter version that won't last long before people get bored. So exactly like WoW classic right now; Blizzard has to rush to release the rest of the content because people get bored, they stop logging in and the game dies down. At least games like WoW classic have honour grinds and others have things like Arena ratings to give a limitless goal.

Games like Path of Exile have an infinite gameplay loop with their league system, which releases new content to beat every couple of months starting from scratch, which is why people want seasons (which would be better fitting for the current level of grind.)

Games like OSRS are literally all about grinding your skills, and then competing at the highest level whether it'd be PVE raids or PVP tourneys.

Games like EVE are like original DFO on a MUCH Grander scale, and the content levels of WoW. Huge grind, tons of content, tons of skill gaps and levels of play.

The point is, what kind of game is this one trying to be? Because right now, its not an MMORPG, its not a PVP arena, its just a mess lacking of substance and depth that keeps tripping over itself.

#36 Sero, Dec 25, 2019
    Slayven and aerodude like this.
  17. ThiefGarrett

Contributor

Like I said it's because everyone knew there was a problem but no one knew how to approach it. Now that they’re finally on the right track with zones they need to add grind, hell just revert the grind why not? Enough time has passed that everyone currently maxed would be anyway. Then start adding things to do. The question then is what to add.

The Red King likes this.
  18. chad

chad Celestial
    Loyal Hero

Fluff grinds.
    New spell colors or animations that you need to manually level (no meditation).
    Cute pets.

The Red King likes this.
  19. Scrubby Bear

Scrubby Bear Eodrin
    Hero

There is literally no grind left. It takes less time than ever in the history of the game to get a bank and finish a character. Despite this the game has literally zero active players. The problem quit being the time investment a very long time ago. It wasn't even a problem at the official RoA launch. The problem has always and will continue to be a complete lack of anything to do with what time you have to play. I could log in for around an hour a few days a week but I don't because I know that time would be wasted with absolutely nothing entertaining to do. I am better off spending it on planetside 2, shores of hazeron or any number of games I have that can provide me entertaining content. Right now all RoA can offer me is bland cancerous PvE that is not remotely fun on its own, an empty world and maybe a PvP encounter with someone that probably has a lot more current practice so I would get my brains blown out.

The game is an empty shell with zero content. With a large enough active population it has PvP content, but even then the complete lack of non combat content is crippling and will result in the same slow bleed of players until only the top few % are left mixed with the few casuals/bads that don't mind losing all the time. Its the same exact thing every time a darkfall launches. It doesn't take a rocket surgeon or a brain scientist to see this yet for some reason the BPG team seems to think otherwise. Instead of working on the games most crippling weak points they have been constantly focusing on watering down its greatest strengths. Its truly mind bottling.

20. BeatIt

BeatIt Eodrin
    Loyal Legend

1 active clan left.