Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

I guess I might as well be the first until a fix/tweak

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JasperHawkins, Dec 21, 2019.

1. ThiefGarrett

ThiefGarrett Earth Elemental
    Contributor

The time investment is still there constantly making sure you have more gear. It's still a grind. But this is what I've been trying to explain here. BPG tried to resolve the boring grind aspect people complained about by reducing the skill grind, then increasing resource output, and trying to make lower tier gear more viable. The result was making top end gear too common increasing the minimum viable gear option so people still have to grind for gear and the leveling is too fast so no feeling of progression.

They trying to solve a problem while holding onto the hardcore mentality and it had the wrong affect. Putting in the zones from day one would have allowed players to spend their time focusing on leveling their characters without always changing pace to get more gear. I say keep the zones, give back the lengthy skill grinds, make top end gear rare again. Increase durability loss so people still need to get new gear just not every time they die. Which for most people is a lot. It doesn't matter if people are maxed out their characters now because they probably would have been maxed by now anyway.

The Red King likes this.
  2. Euchre

Euchre Skeleton Archer
    Patron Hero

This is my point.
    Sero gets it.
    I don't understand how others don't.
    This game currently appeals to nobody. They shunned the niche in search of a new player influx that doesn't exist.
    Now they have nothing.

MEATGRIND, Sique, Slayven and 3 others like this.
  3. Degamra

Degamra Winterbound
    Hero

Did you guys ever stop and think the team has went reverse psychology rogue on Andrew are actually destroying the game purposely just to spite us after proving to be very fragile to the general toxicity the DF community possesses (and has always) when directed at them...just to get some sort of sick little last laugh(s)? lol. just trying to make sense of direction

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    FenrirFrauki likes this.
  4. Shadow-Demon

Shadow-Demon Skeleton Archer
    Legend

ppl finally starting to get it too bad bpg never will

FenrirFrauki and MEATGRIND like this.
  5. Battle Smurf

Battle Smurf Oak Lord
    Legend

He may be a European, but on this he's NOT wrong.

BTW Raap I saw your post on the Amazon New World reddit and couldn't agree more, your take on game design is the kind of balance I want... NOT carebear, no risk, low stakes no meaning trash, but ALSO not designed in an a lazy unsustainable way that inevitably leaves almost no one left playing.

Even EvE has high security, low security, and FFA areas and it's the most hardcore (Yet populated) game of all time

It also has way better risk VS reward than DF, in DF the most you can possibly lose in a fight in a full day of farming, two max... but in EvE you can lose something that took many people a full year to get... but the power REWARDS for risking expensive stuff are so much higher than Darkfall.

Even in the best bag you can make in Darkfall 2 average or slightly above average players in scroach gear worth less than 1% of the top tier bag you are risking have a good chance of taking you down... and these biased kids think that's proper risk VS reward game design

EvE does it more based on economy, 1 decent player risking a ship worth 100x the total amount of 9 guys ships could absolutely win or fight to a draw

Player Skill should NOT be the end all be all determining factor on the outcome of fights.... gear crutching SHOULD be more of a thing when it comes to ways of winning a fight (and character grind probably should be part of it too).... that's assuming you WANT more people and more types of people to actually stick around in Darkfall rather than just the best twitch fps gamers who also happen to like full loot pvp.

I say this NOT for my own benefit, but because I realize almost no one (including MOST OF YOU) would be willing to play MY IDEAL VERSION of a game, it would be way too hardcore for even most of you.

So instead, because I recognize Sandbox MMO's are NOT FUN WITHOUT A BIG POPULATION, I advocate for things that would keep me interested in playing, but also bring in new/ other people via compromise.

To semi quote Jordan Peterson "The goal should NOT be to play to win the current game at ANY cost, but rather to play in such a way that you try to win the current game, while still being invited to the maximum possible amount of future games"

This isn't real life, people can just quit and go somewhere else if they don't like what RoA offers, they don't have to embrace the challenge and use losses to fuel them to get better like we did, 99% of people in 2019 don't have that mentality, especially in video games.

They view Video game PvP more like an opt in sport, rather than an adrenaline pumping unknown risk VS reward with real consequences open world dog eat dog scenario.

Better to have some of them paying sub fees and in the game world only venturing out into Red areas when they want to, than playing a different game entirely

Raap and Dixie Normus like this.
  6. Dixie Normus

Dixie Normus Black Knight
    Legend

It seems so obvious doesn’t it? I just don’t get why they do what they do.

if all did ever did was strictly enforce racial wars and added ultimas alignment i feel it would have been enough. However most of your ideas are spot on even the time gated progression.

I say these things a lot but I’m not a high tier pvper so no one listens. Hopefully they wake up and listen to you.

Battle Smurf likes this.
  7. Slayven

Slayven Eodrin
    Legend

The point is, what kind of game is this one trying to be? Because right now, its not an MMORPG, its not a PVP arena, its just a mess lacking of substance and depth that keeps tripping over itself.[/QUOTE]
    This

MEATGRIND likes this.
  8. Scrapnotcrap

Scrapnotcrap Eodrin
    Loyal Hero

We don't need every type of ppl. There's so many games out there. What else do we need? Darkfall VR?

And yeah, i actually tried Doom VR on PS4 and i had so much fun on it. There's a large amount of ppl who want VR on everything. Does it mean we have to please them too?

9. Sero

Sero Menhir Sentinal
    Loyal Legend

Lmfao. As if they listen. If anything they listen to the noobies.

10. Yomi Scythetalon

Yomi Scythetalon Oak Lord
    Wealthy Streamer Contributor Legend

VR in the gaming world is like going to see moves in 3D, its garbage.

11. aerodude

aerodude Goblin Shaman

There is no GM corruption yomi.. it was all a silly joke. come back to ROA buddy!

12. Yomi Scythetalon

Screenshot (34).jpg

13. Dixie Normus

Legend

One level 50 nb?
    weaksauce.

I have a master crafter with all traits unlocked if you need anything. Only thing I can’t gold out is jewelry(haven’t played much since summer set)

14. Yomi Scythetalon

I play this game for the story and meaningful quests. Thats all I need to enjoy a game.

Scrapnotcrap likes this.
  15. ArrowExpert

ArrowExpert Chosen of Khamset
    Hero

Just let her go. Log off the forums Yomi it’s time to go.

16. Raap

Raap Wildtribe Mage

Heh, honestly it just makes more sense to me to design things in that way. I'm often left scratching my head when designers, whom do game design for a living, come up with things that I can do better in the span of a few minutes and a cup of morning coffee.

Speaking personally, I'm so tired of being let down by other games, so I'll be taking a more active role in game development again myself next year. And while I lack the funding to make an MMO, I'll at least produce games that I actually want to play myself, and have full control over them.

For now, I do hope RoA lands on its feet, but Andrew should honestly be considering hiring a lead designer who can steer this game forward, instead of having the game constantly flip-flop between design goals depending on who took the helm at the time.

I also hope New World comes out well, but it is also flip-flopping on design. Amazon Game Studios shows that even a lot of money can not compensate for bad project management.

The Red King likes this.
  17. Sique

Sique Fire Giant
    Legend

3 and a half years later and all we have now is a Darkfall with less content than what was available in 2010.

And no, safe zones have nothing to do with that.
    for some reason i forgot you were a furry and expected a different race

The Red King likes this.
  18. Dixie Normus

Legend

Yeah yeah. The pvp is not great but probably the best you will find in an mmorpg these days. Offer still stands, some of the newer zone sets are fucking op in pvp. Bis pretty much even for a filthy kitty cat Stam nb.

19. MEATGRIND

MEATGRIND Goblin Shaman

Sorry, have already /QUIT #UNINSTALLED

--- Post updated ---
    Minotaur King, you're one of the players in Blackwater telling other players that you are abusing GM powers and that it is ok because the game is already dead so lets just have a little fun while server is still up.

Soooooooo, you are basically destroying Blackwater from the inside lol.

Sero likes this.
  20. GrimReapiN

GrimReapiN Chosen of Khamset
    Contributor

Perhaps creating meaningful content within the world of Darkfall is the solution?

Instead of just slapping band-aids on content that already exists?

If memory serves, I believe this patch was the... third change to the alignment system?
    When was the last content patch. Tasks? or perhaps the village system?

I'm trying to remember if any content was added and I can't... runebooks? No, those can be bought in shops... not gonna go out into the world on that one... hmm...
    tasks! oh I said that one..., but who really gives a fuck. what is the reward for these again? meditation? no I don't even think that's the reward. pretty sure its some shitty loot. titles! those are a nice change.
    Champions! ah, but they have garbage one shot mechanics and shit loot, which hasn't been balanced since its addition... so only 2 players do them...
    enchanting gems! ah, but they haven't been added to loot tables and farming spawns have been decimated, and the promised enchanting fixes haven't been implemented either...

well boys, of course I'm woefully inexperienced in the world of Agon, but I can't for the life of me think of something new to do in this video game, nor anything I'd want to do, or tell my friends about. Even worse, if I did, the GFX would shrivel their dicks at a 4k resolution screenshot.

so why in the fuck are we making changes to attract new players? oh, the steam release coming up... right. looking forward to that! /casm