Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

I have rejoined BPG

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Billy Lee, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Sique

Sique Fire Giant
    Legend

finally we're gonna get those lorebooks i've been asking for :D

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    Inkarnation and Billy Lee like this.
  2. Billy Lee

Billy Lee Varangian Warthane
    Team B Lifetime

All I know is that I miss his videos, nobody ever really tried to do that kind of content here, at least not that I know of, and they were always a treat to watch I don't recall him speaking about exploiting any insider knowledge or recall seeing anything myself..
    I miss him a lot, it sucks that he's gone and might not ever come back, one of the coolest people I've ever met online and he is a really good person. He was also a bigtime merchant, he dabbled in tons of markets and did so long before the actual market was added. I used to not really use the market for buying because I didn't want to step on Wes' toes, now that I am back on the team and may be privy to certain info it's likely going to result in me not being able to fairly use the market as much, I agree that exploiting secrets is unfair. I will say this though, Wes put in thousands of hours working for BPG, imagine if he used that time actually farming, he'd have been far richer than he was just by playing the market, every hour of volunteer work is a sacrifice of in game profit/pvp training, etc.

To be fair, I've only been back on the team for a couple of days and I did a LOT of hours of QA work on the market to get it rolling. As for undercuts, I have apparently made several people upset with my 0.1 tactic but I don't see it as such an evil thing, let's look at some math.

If you are buying 5000 units of timber for 6 gold per, it costs you 30,000 gold before taxes. Someone comes along and bumps to to 7 gold per unit, now if you want to use the supposedly ethical bump of 1 gold, you're moving your initial 30k investment up to 40k, if this goes back and forth just for a little bit of time the price can get out of control (just look at some of the insane prices that developed). In other words, when dealing with large quantities of items you get punished much harder for aggressively increasing prices, especially if your goal is to make a profit, this is why over time many markets become at least temporarily dead.

Now let's look at a second example in which you're attempting to buy 30 Q4 venom sacs for 1k per, a 30k investment and you actually need the items for personal use, as do several others. You have two strategies: outbid hard or outbid low, if you go hard you *might* scare people off, if you outbit by 1 or 5 or whatever it is essentially the same thing as an outbid of 0.01. Also, if someone really badly wants the venom sacs they always have the option to come out firing with a big bump, if they choose a low bump, others are free to follow suit.

I should also note that a lot of other players outbid me by small amounts and I have never been angered by it, it is a bidding war and people can handle it however they like, like I said, if you really want the items all you have to do is outbid aggressively and people will start backing down more often. Anyway, I wish people would not be so dramatic about the market.

Kantor likes this.
  3. Sintan

Sintan Black Knight
    Affluent Legend

Doubt it. During all those hours working for bpg his character was logged in sitting in sang staring at the market adjusting his orders the second anyone tried to beat him. No one has made or will make more money off the market than Wes and he didn't need to farm to supplement that.

Bonii, Sique, WithoutShame and 3 others like this.
  4. Billy Lee

Team B Lifetime

Valid point.

5. Cista Ashbow

Cista Ashbow Goblin Scout

Congrats!
    *relics* - what is meant by relics in RoA? I think they didn't get in.
    I can assure you, people will be angry no matter what tactic is used :) It is one of the laws of nature that people will be offended at anyone having any tactics at all.

Korag and Billy Lee like this.
  6. Billy Lee

Team B Lifetime

Thank you :) Relics are special equipment obtained from pve and potentially other sources (I'm a little out of touch with future plans atm), each one has several stat bonuses and penalties to your character, for example, a small bonus to greatclub damage and health coupled with penalties to mana and stamina. I believe there might be potential to find ones without penalties but I'm not sure. Should be a lot of fun :)

And you are very right about your statement ;)

7. BumpyKnuckles

BumpyKnuckles Dire Zombie

God no! We are all fucked now

There is that non pvp/pve noob playing destro making sure destro get buffed every update again.

And yall wonder why and what happend with destro...

The new gear updates. Now this. We finally got a decent good pop but with this and the recent armor changes. Plenty of bad signals.

There are dark times comming

Bonii and Billy Lee like this.
  8. l0st exile

l0st exile Crypt Guard

"I left due to kilrain running the game into the ground day by day and I doubt anyone here is surprised, just look at how unprofessional he is on a daily basis. All he does is enjoy a morning coffee while he researches stuff he can copy from other games, not an ounce of creativity and an all around miserable person to work with. The dire state of the game is mostly his fault and you can see he is still blind to it as he continues shoveling dirt onto its coffin. I don't think I need to say much more."

does that mean kilrain is gone?

Slayven, Bonii, Sique and 2 others like this.
  9. Billy Lee

Team B Lifetime

@l0st exile

I can confirm that he is not gone, I spoke to him earlier and we are back on excellent terms.I am very optimistic about the future of RoA :)

10. WithoutShame

WithoutShame Infernal
    Supporter

How did you convince him to not be unprofessional on a daily basis?

Do you know if he still enjoys his morning coffee?

Has he found a new source of creativity that has led to him being less of a miserable person to work with?

Or are you just happy that they are trying to turn this into UW 2.0?

Johhny Mad Dog, Korag, Bonii and 6 others like this.
  11. Squanto

Squanto Frostjarl
    Legend

[​IMG]
    rip homie

12. Billy Lee

Team B Lifetime

I mean, it's not like I'm surprised that it was dredged up but I wanted to be transparent about me rejoining and while what happened was unfortunate, it's in the past, I'm looking forward.

13. Hook

Hook Chosen of Khamset
    Legend

its kinda obvious that he is here, i mean who else would be so stubborn to admit when they were wrong about combat and revert it?

l0st exile likes this.
  14. Geezy

Geezy Windlord
    Loyal Supporter

Welcome back Billy Lee and Jimmy Lee! Good to see you back man; and the transparency is appreciated. Glad you were able to bury the hatchet with Kilrain; I'm looking forward to see what all you can add to the game. Don't waste any time on the haters; the more people trying to add sand to the sandbox in ROA is a good thing. I'm pretty busy with Grad school nowadays, but if there's anything I can do to assist you guys with lore stuff, feel free to hit me up on discord.

Billy Lee likes this.
  15. Billy Lee

Team B Lifetime

Hey, man! Thanks for reaching out and being supportive. Trolling is part of the fun for a lot of people so I just need to learn to shrug it off and put in my best work :) Some help with the lore would be nice, it's an enormous world with a lot of room for new stuff and it takes a lot of time to give attention to so many unique locations. I realize lore isn't for everyone but I know we've all found some cool area and hoped there would be something special there only to find it was empty, I want to change that. Lore books might not be on the wish list for some but I bet the books will fetch a fair bit of gold so they should still be really nice to get. I also find fluff items to be really interesting loot because they don't cause power creep and there is no telling what they'll be worth, I find it fascinating that to one person a lore book is worthless and to another it could be priceless.

Geezy, Fengor and Inkarnation like this.
  16. Bonii

Bonii Air Elemental
    Tester

This made me laugh.

17. Grimtide

Grimtide Evil Eye
    Legend

You got some good RP beard stories?

18. Featherbeans

Featherbeans Celestial
    Contributor Hero

Glad you are back even If i never knew you were a part of the team.
    Now, can you revert this crap combat, pls.
    Thx
    Bye

Sique, Squanto and Fengor like this.
  19. Billy Lee

Team B Lifetime

Unfortunately, I have no control over a revert but some things will be reverted in the armor patch, as they said, so I guess we'll have a chance to evaluate combat at that point and then hopefully have some healthy discussions on where to go from there.

20. Raap

Raap Gravelord

The game needs more attention in the non-PvP departments for sure.

I'd have offered my help as well but due to legal issues I cannot contribute new 3D art. If they ever needed help with general world building though I'd consider it, I have a lot of experience creating game worlds for multiplayer games, and I do get triggered quite a lot about DF's world building (starting with the absolute fuck-ton of geometry issues). :neutral: