Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

I need help with a new build.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hard2kill, Sep 29, 2020.

1. hard2kill

hard2kill Goblin Warrior

What inspired me to do this was some duels i had with Janet Jackson while i was in Defiance. The build primarily focuses on archery and rays. The jist of it is after you shoot your bow, ray afterwards right away then switch back to bow. Ideally when your arrow hits your ray does at the same time - if your quick enough. The build can out DPS pure mage (if you land your shots) - you would probably have a harder time out DPSing a good magekiller with good aim.

What I would like to know is what magic encumberence would be ideal? I've been playing abit heavy with some luck (crutching on polearm) but its not cutting it.

I will be using a 1.0 corpsecall from now on for rays and a cobra for heals and what not.

The goal is to have a slight advantage in protections but also have decent ray damage.

10 magic encumb too much? 15? I know 20 is pushing it.

Your expertise is much appreciated.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    Billy Lee likes this.
  2. Billy Lee

Billy Lee Loremaster
    Staff Member BPG Representative Lifetime

I can say that knives combo really well with polearms, if someone disrupts your joust you can dps race them with knives and often get an easy disengage. The champion polearm is pretty awesome if you can get some of those. Another idea would be to prioritize pungent to try to get a good health lead. Good luck with the build!

3. hard2kill

hard2kill Goblin Warrior

Thanks billy!

Billy Lee likes this.
  4. Methodico

Methodico Infernal

There are only 2 builds in this game, others are useless. In df1 i was Hybrid here Is useless. You are free to choose between destro or mage. Have fun...

5. YapYapYap

YapYapYap Goblin Warlord

I would ditch the polearm as a main melee weapon imo. It has decent damage and awesome reach but against anyone decent with gs/gc/ga I think it loses the dps race. It has its moments when someone is just out of range though. Props for trying something different.
    --- Post updated ---
    what exactly has changed from dfo to this game that makes hybrid useless?

6. hard2kill

hard2kill Goblin Warrior

The past 3 weeks ive fought a lot of good players and most of them lose the melee exchange. And its not really about being different or extra damage its the longer range that i like most about it. I have 85-90 ping (i originally played with 30) that extra reach helps with the sticky backs
    --- Post updated ---
    Define hybrid for me

7. YapYapYap

YapYapYap Goblin Warlord

Ah didnt know you had that ping. Maybe polearm is the way

8. Billy Lee

Billy Lee Loremaster
    Staff Member BPG Representative Lifetime

Turns out I forgot all about the pungent mist change that added back a casting time, so perhaps that doesn't quite work as your go-to ray after firing an arrow.

9. Ryco Stormeye

Ryco Stormeye Crypt Guard

Would bolt then ray and rotate, not work better than arrow and ray? Would it not be faster (bolts cast faster than arrows and no weapon swap?)

10. hard2kill

hard2kill Goblin Warrior

Sounds pretty fun, i gotta try that out now. That would be better with low encumb, you would miss out on protections. Did some duels today verse a really good mage and raybow does work, but you need to land atleast 80% of your shots which is pretty hard to do. A lot of gear would be lost which is a con for anyone, especially someone who doesnt have a whole lot of time to play. The gear you need is also extremely expensive. Trial and error.

11. EleTaylorScoob

EleTaylorScoob Gravelord
    Supporter

Hi im Janet glad my build inspired you.

Bow ray > bolt ray because mana shield. If you usr sunbow you actually do more bow dmg than somebody hitting you in the face with a greatsword. Also you put q5 encum on fp helm and wear however much fp fillers puts you around 20 magic encumberance youll do good ray dmg as well as full archery dmg. You can also use corpsecall for ray key for +4 dmg but to keep overall cost of the bag low I just did cobie.

Sadly the playstyle requires you to be an aderall god, but when youre aim is on point the build is dirty. Otherwise play sloppy and splash r90z like the rest of em.

Shame they dont just face reality that DF has no chance of a real population and just shrink the map down to 1 island. Cant be bothered to play duelfall/vcp board.

SEA OF THIEVES IS A REALLY FUN GAME DM ME TO PLAY.
    --- Post updated ---
    also use it in a group fight and hit somebody in the back for 90 dmg its hilarious

MikeJT likes this.
  12. Mr Serkit

Mr Serkit New Member

I've been playing for almost two weeks now after not touching the game since beta, and I don't think the map size is the issue. These are the things that I have noticed since i've been back that have somewhat killed the game for me.

- New Billboards/Village system
    - Disable bolt + WoF combo
    - Mount sprint changes

WoF + disable bolt combo kills almost all chances of fighting outnumbered, or even fighting skillfully. WoF has always been a dumb spell, but the addition of disable bolt made it even more broken. It knocks you up so you float near the top of the wof and there is no counter play. This makes the game more about numbers than skill, because if you land a wof + disable bolt, you can instantly kill someone from full hp. Before with disable arrow, it usually knocked you to the edge/floor/side of the wof so you could bspike out or stormblast or spawn a mount. With disable bolt, you just die because you can't do anything since your floating at the top of the wof.

The billboard new village system also makes the game all about numbers. It tells everyone on the server who is out doing villages and with how many. After one or two fights vs someone, you can gage their skill level and know how the fights will generally go. Everyone playing right now abuses this and will never put themselves into positions they will ever lose, which makes the game much less fun than it was in dfo/beta not knowing who was out and how many they had. Before it was much more organic, now its just a numbers game where you port in and can instantly be wof'd and lose your bag.

The changes to mounts/sprint is broken and makes it even more of a numbers game because you can no longer bunnyhop away from bigger groups, they will always catch you because they have people with bluetails and full mount sprint. They can just ride until terrain eventually gets bad for bunnyhopping and then they get off the mount and hop on you and spam blinds, wof, comehither and you die.

Its clear to me that the game is the way it is because of the devs and their lack of experience or knowledge on how the game functions and how changes they make will affect it.

13. Sorrow Avaritia

Hero

The map was always to big to support the population of the game apart from the first couple months, and even then most of us had free farm without much risk of getting pvp. The current village system is terrible, disable bolt was a good addition to the game although it shouldnt have any sort of knock up / back effect. The combat has got steadily worse the more they patch it.

With the current population there is basically no chance of organic pvp, but they killed organic pvp right near the start with all the fast travel. Citys have basically no value.

Nearly every single patch they have done has made the game worse or has had very little positive impact. The game would honestly be better if they rolled it back to how it was near the end of DF1.

14. Methodico

Methodico Infernal

Fast travel or smaller map, with this map we need fast travel. This map was big also in the First day of df1. Traveling in this game it's boring and slow. Village can be Better, now It's the only thing that keep me play.

15. Sorrow Avaritia

Hero

Traveling in this game was fun as fuck at df launch, couldn't go anywhere without running into loads of people, the game / map was design to have 10K + players online at once.

16. MikeJT

MikeJT Black Knight
    Supporter

We have fast travel.

So much fast travel.

If you use the portal network you can get between any two points on the map in maybe 20 mins?

Maybe take a look at the portal network and figure out his to use it to get around better?

17. Degamra

Degamra Winterbound
    Hero

As a wise woman once said:
    Ain't nobody got time fa dat