Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

I quit and here is why I quit

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mexi Horseman, Jul 5, 2017.

1. mrW

mrW Black Knight
    Legend

To one type of players grinding is boring, to others it isn't. Same thing can be said about various different aspects of the game. The problem from this only comes when players are forced to do some thing they don't enjoy and are left without enjoyable alternatives.

They removed the grind and optimized the game for the "let me get PvP viable quick crowd", which mostly targeted PvPers. At the same time it killed any sense of achievement and left huge gaps everywhere else. There were plenty of ways to allow players achieving "endgame PvP viability" without needing to actually speed up global grind rates or reduce the grind. Anyway, we're already past that point and I'm just ranting at this point.

IMHO, they should focus on anything, but PvP. That's the only way to save the game. The PvP mechanics in this game are good enough that the PvPers will stick to it, considering there is a healthy population of non-PvPers playing. The latter should be the priority. So fuck your hotspots, fuck your trade routes, fuck preserving your old DF combat meta/balance, add content that casual / non-PvP players enjoy and ask for. That's the only way to make a good "Sandbox MMO". Until then, this is just optimized DF with a shortened lifetime due to reduced grind.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    #21 mrW, Jul 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
    Brown Dorf and Dixie Normus like this.
  2. Clarence Swamptown

Clarence Swamptown Black Knight
    Legend

They are not and should not be focused on PVP. They barely did any change on pvp (they did however spent too much time on aspects of the game that imo were far from being priority imo). That is what I and many others have been saying over and over and over on these forums (and on UW forums before, and on DFO forums before). The combat is in a good state. It's not that it is perfect, but it is by far the aspect of the game that is in the best state. Everything else is lacking, starting with the most obvious, the lack of content in general.

Fengor and Mea Kulpa like this.
  3. ProfessorWombat

ProfessorWombat Goblin Warrior

I just think the average player has gotten more and more retarded over the past decade. There used to be a time when gamers would rise to a challenge and overcome just for the sheer joy of the journey, now if a game shows any level of difficulty, or makes you work a little to see meaningful progress then all of a sudden the game is magically bad. It's this kind of lazy shit attitude that has literally ruined this generation of games. I've never been so bored by e3's tactical line up of never fail games, where is the fun in knowing that even if you suck you can hit end game cause the game will hold your hand all the way. Sorry I'm not a fucking cuck, I like to play my games. Thank you darkfall for costing me 10 dollars and giving me way more than my money's worth in hours played. I'm sick of buying new 60 garbage for it to be some casual role play shit. When I started the shroud knight was a badass. After vigorous training I can say that the shroud knight has become a solo able commodity. That is rewarding gameplay. Getting from point a to point b is just as important as just being at point b same goes for all the crafting skills. For all you retards who cry about not being able to make r80 sithras after the iron dagger crafts. You aim to destroy every aspect of player market in the game. Why would I waste my time with crafter's if my characer can just master the skill cause there's no grind and it's retard easy. Gg to anyone who wants to play as a crafter cause your jobs so easy nobody gonna buy your weapon or armor everyone might as well just make themselves everything, see like Idk just the recent trends has turned most of the gaming community into a bunch of role play nerds who wanna be spoon fed all day

Ledwulf, donutkebab and Ansem like this.
  4. Clarence Swamptown

Clarence Swamptown Black Knight
    Legend

I have been saying forever that they shouldn't be focusing on pvp mechanics changes. That being said, I think you are really wrong by saying fuck hotspots and fuck trade routes... I do agree that they need to add alot of non-pvp content, but they also need to add pvp content. You are not better than people asking for only pvp related content if you are just asking for non-pvp content, you are just as blind.

"fuck preserving your old DF combat meta/balance"... well, way to contradict yourself here buddy. The ones of us who want them to keep that meta and balance do so because we realize, like you said yourself that "The PvP mechanics in this game are good enough that the PvPers will stick to it", so instead they should spend more time working on other aspects of the game. By saying fuck to preserving that meta/balance, you are encouraging them to spend time changing it. Gj.

5. Uzik

Uzik Wildtribe Mage
    Affluent Legend

They should have implemented funhulks. Would keep kids like this around 100%

Dixie Normus and RootedOak like this.
  6. Ansem

Ansem Skeleton Archer
    ANN Reporter

[​IMG]

This. So Much.

TL;DR - GO BACK TO WOW YOU SHIT KIDS.

SomeBK likes this.
  7. Zeiken

Zeiken Undead Dwarf

Most if not all of us were very young back in dfo, where grind was fucking amazing and fun since we had little to no responsibilities. Time passes, some of us have jobs and families now, the amount of grind (time) required for nearly everything in roa is just not possible (nor enjoyable/boring as fuck) for alot of people these days that's why people rather play instant pvp games like pubg etc. The grind is still fucking insane even with front loading, poopsockers and nolifers see no problem and will defend the grind since they have 18-20 hours a day to play and are likely maxed. (Like this idiot above my post)

#27 Zeiken, Jul 5, 2017
  8. Ansem

Ansem Skeleton Archer
    ANN Reporter

Listen here you little polesmoker - in 2009 when this game came out and you were a "kid" with little-to-no responsibilities and able to play this game, let alone 18-20 hours a day, I was making my second deployment to the gulf.

This is my first iteration of darkfall and I work 40 hours a week and attend grad school at night, and I almost never play weekends. If you want a MOBA where you log in and get quick pvp play a MOBA. The grind is already extremely quick and even casual players such as myself have pvp viable characters at this point.

rats likes this.
  9. Zeiken

Zeiken Undead Dwarf

You and the ~20 casuals that remain. You are a fucking idiot if you can't see all the posts about grind/waste of time and declining new players and think everything is fine because YOU think it is

10. Biceps

Biceps Infernal
    Legend

and there we have the core issue. fps players look at darkfall and think "hey quake with a persistent world and a conquest system for territory control, awesome!" mmo players look at darkfall and think "hey an oldschool mmo with a huge persistent not instanced world where i can pvp everywhere and take all their shit and control territory with my clan, awesome!"

then after a while the fps players realize that this is infact not quake but an mmo that requires a grind before the actual pvp really kicks off. on top of that the grind never really ends because there will always be a need for new gear (the downside of full loot). those players would be much better of in a game like planetside 2 which is an actual FPSMMO that also has territory control and a persistent world but without the grind.

then you have the MMORPG players who are used to a much deeper combat system that requires a much higher level of awareness of whats actually happening in a fight and want more options to influence a fight than dmg, debuffs, blinds and the soft CC this game provides. for them the combat is too much about aim which quite frankly is a very low tier skill compared to what is required in a normal MMO. its literally just muscle memory and everyone who puts enough time in will eventually be good at it. normal MMO´s dont work like that. there is some ppl in regular MMO´s that can play a game for 10 years and will still be shit cos they simply lack the mental capabilities to think outside the box and figure out how to deal with specific situations cos the combat is much more complex than in an fps game. i guarantee you if this game had tab targetting it would be rocking players well in the 100000´s easily cos there is ALOT of MMO players who are fed up with the instanced themepark handholding experience the industry provides them with nowadays. they cba to relearn FPS combat tho cos thats what they have done in the 90s when FPS games were still a thing and went past that a long time ago.

so the real question is to what type of player does this game truely appeal to. it would have to be a player that isnt completely incompetent at FPS but also likes typical PVE content provided by usual MMO´s while beeing a mostly PVP focussed player since thats what darkfall is about in the endgame. on top of that he cant be a carebear that cries when he loses his stuff/city. he must enjoy zerg pvp and small scale pvp alike. he must also like solo play to some extend cos you wont always be in a group. he also needs to have alot of freetime since unlike in normal mmos once ur done with pve there you cant just play 2 hours a night for pvp cos you will always have to do some pve to get new gear. this is also another core issue btw cos the better you are at the game the less time you have to play to stay geared effectively meaning if you are learning the game you kinda have to play alot more cos you will be losing more. since this is an oldschool mmo with awful gfx and no handholding it will genereally appeal more to older gamers which usually have less freetime now due to job/family.

all this makes for a very small portion of players who this game truely appeals to and thats a major part of the reason why no1 makes full loot mmos anymore as its a fundamentally flawed concept that can never be 100% fixed. you could make gear basically worthless ala UO (robe, regs, lets go!) but what would be the fun in looting then.

personally i love darkfall. i like the rush you get in fights cos death actually means something. i love the non handholding experience of "yo this is your character, figure the rest out yourself. off you go, bro!" i love the fact that i can go anywhere at any time without any zones/loadings and all that crap. i love the fact that i can spawn with a brand new character and run up to the fire dragon and get basically oneshotted cos i decided to go there and the game wont stop me from doing so. i love that there are no restrictions on what my character can do (classes) although im totally in favor of a skillcap. beeing able to do whatever you want is awesome but beeing able to do everything at the same time is broken. i find the fps style combat very exciting despite the fact that i havent played fps games competitively since 2001. luckily aim is not an actual skill in the classic definition but just muscle memory so ill eventually get really good at it again.

i believe there is still an audience for this type of game that is big enough to make it prosper but the game in its current form will have a hard time to retain players due to lack of content that is not based on FPS skills. if you give players enough fun things to do that are not too much relying on aim to keep them entertained long enough they will eventually develop good enough aim to atleast have fun in pvp so they will stay but currently that type of content is simply non existent. basically what im trying to say is, give the MMO crowd reasons to stay while they learn to aim and the game will have a sustainable population. i dont think the hardcore "i hate all sorts of PVE/grind" FPS crowd will ever be really happy in a game like this as what they are looking for is an FPSMMO ala planetside 2 and not an MMORPG with FPS combat ala darkfall.

sry for the wall of text :p

rats, Gudu Chaven and mrW like this.
  11. mrW

mrW Black Knight
    Legend

They shouldn't be focusing on it directly, but most of the things that non-PvPers are asking would affect old PvP meta or balance in one way or another. It's a mistake in my opinion to prioritize preserving the old balance/meta, instead of experimenting with new things like adding specializations (main thing driving RPG lovers to play) or changing a lot of controversial stuff like bunny-hopping.

I say fuck those features, because they are features for PvP crowd again. I'm not blind, I just want this game to be a Sandbox first and PvP second.

Perhaps I was vague, but when I said "mechanics" I meant very general things (like the way spells work, the way aiming is done and what the engine allows you to do in general). Anything related to current balance/meta (i.e. how much damage a spell does, what is it's cooldown or if it's accessible to everyone) does NOT fall into "mechanics". It's only one implementation using same mechanics, while there are many different possible ones.

No, I am encouraging them to not be afraid of experimenting and changing the game in general. This will at the same time require time tweaking meta/balance. This is normal thing and happens in most actively developed games. You can't really expect to drastically improve the game if you are afraid to change core parts of it.

Don't get me wrong, the current combat is great, but it is in no way solved or finished and to say that it's greatest it can ever be would be quite an underestimation of what DF engine can do.

#31 mrW, Jul 5, 2017
  12. Salival

Salival Skeleton Archer
    Hero

Content has always been a problem...but once again with the population being cut in half over the last month...the main reason why this game now sucks is the damn community these pixel hugging alliances that dont do anything of substance, the groups that just roam agon and kill everything they see...even low end solo players....then proceed to dry loot lol...I mean it gets old fast...BTW nto talking about myself I hardly play this shit iteration anymore...just gather n craft.

BPG has been very unprofessional in who they hired and allowed access to the game...there have been many leaks of information going to a specific group of clans that plagued DFO and imo helped destroy it.

Its just not fair that BPG staff (1-2) of them have been giving information to their friends that play the game...so they get a huge advantage...e.g. Housing...and certain things that are not even on the map...but this clan knew about them on day fucking one...it just unprofessional as a whole but these guys do not seem to care.

Coming from a 1-2 hour a week soon to be 0 when my sub runs dry...player.

DARKFALL IS DEAD.

#32 Salival, Jul 5, 2017
    Skitzo1 and Zeiken like this.
  13. clandestino2a

clandestino2a Skeleton Archer

its a soldier. if he is stupid enough to go risk his life so multinationals can go steal others countries resources you can't really expect him to think.

Zeiken likes this.
  14. Ansem

Ansem Skeleton Archer
    ANN Reporter

wow.

Mea Kulpa likes this.
  15. Korag

Korag Evil Eye
    Hero

I get people quit cause of grind, but ya never should have started, not a single mmo is void of grind and everyone of them work to add content constantly to further increase the grind/reason to play so this as an excuse is simple a cop out a total load of shit. I agree that gear needs to be easier in some aspects but people want to go to far with it and that alone will cause boredom and people to stop logging in.

The point at the end of it is like minded people grouping together and learning how to fight together and having a good time doing it perhaps you biggest issue is your just not having fun in your current situation.

You said Grind isn't the problem paragraph later say you have a problem with BPG adding grind content ?? I miss something, again all mmos add content and all mmo's add grind.

BPG may delete some shit but they hardly hide stuff very well forum is plain full of goings on that really should be deleted.

16. Crunchbert

Crunchbert Undead Dwarf

MMO's kinda died with mobas and other click to play games getting popular. Nobody wants to put in effort and grind when theres good click to play games that you can play repeatedly with no time waste in between the fun. I have missed every siege cuz my friends want to go smite on the weekends, and I'm not goign to go spend hours waiting and gearing and zerging and getting a crappy zerg fight when I could go have instant fun with my friends thats more fun to begin with.

So how they can actually make the game succeed is beyond me. Making it into an arena game will just kill the game cuz everyone who wants a mmo will quit cuz the game sucks at being an mmo. But all the Arena kids will quit cuz its the worst arena game.

Try to be less retarded in public. Thanks in advance.

Mea Kulpa and Salival like this.
  17. Korag

Korag Evil Eye
    Hero

this couldn't be further from the truth, 2 mmos in the main stream (big name) have somewhere around 15 to 20 mil players
    Survival games are still a hot thing and have millions of players in the daily
    People are for sure getting lazy but that is more of a generation thing and shows up in a lot more than just gaming.

18. Skitzo1

Skitzo1 Goblin Warrior
    Supporter

Quake will never make my hand shake like a close 1v1 out in the world... fkn addicted to it...

Brown Dorf, rats, Vrain and 1 other person like this.
  19. Salival

Salival Skeleton Archer
    Hero

Very true MMO's have been in dire straits for years now and a new version of a failed game ...even if I loved DFO will not change this....I do feel however that certain dev teams are working on bringing back the genre, e.g. CoE and AoC. But those imo are the last chance for the genre to breath life.

If this game is still around When MNB 2 comes out....it wont be for much longer afterwards.
    --- Post updated ---
    WoW and GW2 are the only MMO's that still have major success..as for the rest of the genre not..a chance.

Crunchbert and Zeiken like this.
  20. SomeBK

SomeBK Infernal
    Legend

Good riddance. He was going to quit anyways guys so it's cool.
    Did I do it right @Jonah_Veil ?

This post surely only represents one guy since EVERYBODY that quits makes a post ala exit interview.

And here I was brainwashed into thinking I was the one single handedly making people quit. It's too bad the finger is being pointed at the nolifers. They're surely not the problem

Zeiken likes this.